upgrades?

pip001
pip001 Posts: 133
edited March 2011 in MTB beginners
hi,ive just been given a diamondback 05 to use on my daily commute.its nearly new but the forks dont really look up to much.can they be upgraded,if so what would be a good secondhandbuy?is there anything else i should upgrade?

tanks for the help

Comments

• sm1thson
    sm1thson Posts: 47
    the forks probably arent up to much, but how much abuse are they going to get on your daily commute? I'd hold off on making big purchases till you get the feel of what you dislike and want to change about the bike most.

a good first upgrade may be pedals, possibly grips. an old bike you were given may well benefit from a new set of brake and gear cables, maybe some brake pads. tyres make a big difference. but ride it, have fun and see how it goes would be my advice.
  • pip001
    pip001 Posts: 133
    yeah. i know what you mean.i will see how it goes.i thought i could keep an eye open for some cheap upgrades as they come up.what forks pedals bars ect should i go for.never upgraded a bike before so i dont know what will fit.
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    contact points, so tyres, grips and pedals are always worth doing. Then wheels and forks.
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    unless your commute has a lot of off road stuff I'd be tempted to go for rigid forks, swapped out my rubbish suspension forks about 8 months ago off my commuter as I only do roads
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6