-SRAM PG980 Cassette
-SRAM PC991 Chain
-Bontrager XR4 2.35" Front, XR2 2.2" Rear Tyres
-Devinci Velo Saddle
-Hope Rear QR Skewer and Seatpost Clamp
-FSA Orbit 1.5ZS Headset
-Crank Bro's Mallet II Pedals

What's left to buy/do:

-Get frame re-painted. Just waiting on the necessary hardware to remove the roller needle bearings then it's going off for a spruce up.
-Forks. Still undecided, though i'm starting to wonder if I can get credit for some 2011 Kashima coated TALAS's now....
-Brakes. Cant stop looking at a set of Hope Tech X2's... I know theres more powerful, better feeling brakes out there, but the ease of use of the Hope's is so appealing.

Hopefully it'll be rolling before spring. :D

Comments

• sheepsteeth
    sheepsteeth Posts: 17,418
    so its going to be your dream build but you dont know what frame and forks you are having?

sounds good.
  • Indeed.

I'd say the frame is probably the most important part of the dream build :?
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Dream build with SLX and Elixir 5s, not to mention the lack of a frame? You need some aspirations ;-)
  • D-Cyph3r
    D-Cyph3r Posts: 847
    Aye I know, it's because i'm torn between 2-3 frames atm. Obviously I dont want to commit myself till i've had a chance to, at the very least, see them all in the flesh but ideally I want a chance to see how they all ride.

I have a mate with a Heckler so I can check that out no problem (least expensive option)
    I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be too difficult to find a shop with a Yeti 575 I can have a go on (most expensive option)
    But sourcing a Tomac Snyper will probably be quite difficult (CRC wont even have them in stock till april)...

As I said up top forks will almost certainly be Rev's, it's whether or not they'll be brand new, last years model in sale or 2nd hand from somewhere like this.

@njee

I know it's not the most glamorous spec, but i've already made a pretty significant loss selling my EX8 so didn't see the point throwing away even more money selling all the other bits just yet, not when they are still doing their jobs perfectly. :wink:
  • ftwizard
    ftwizard Posts: 253
    D-Cyph3r wrote:

I know it's not the most glamorous spec, but i've already made a pretty significant loss selling my EX8 so didn't see the point throwing away even more money selling all the other bits just yet, not when they are still doing their jobs perfectly. :wink:

And living in Basildon, it's only going to get nicked by some chav anyway. :wink:
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    D-Cyph3r

Fairly sure I saw a 2010 575 frame going for £1k in the lbs. (Cycle Surgery in camden)

I was so tempted to get the credit card out.
  • D-Cyph3r
    ftwizard wrote:
    D-Cyph3r wrote:

And living in Basildon, it's only going to get nicked by some chav anyway. :wink:

I reckon the pikey's are a bigger threat. I'm sure I saw them eyeing up the EX one morning as they drove past in their scrap van, ringing that fucking bell...
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    D-Cyph3r wrote:
    I reckon the pikey's are a bigger threat. I'm sure I saw them eyeing up the EX one morning as they drove past in their scrap van, ringing that ******* bell...

You should go and rob that bell off them. Then they'll know how it feels.
  • ftwizard wrote:
    D-Cyph3r wrote:

:lol:
  • Look forward to seeing this, particularly so as i'll be building up your EX8 this week and it may provide inspiration!

Thom
    The Frog: Lapierre Zesty 214 2010 - Upgraded - W.I.P
  • judging by the nice parts you have there it should be a dream bike :D
  • D-Cyph3r
    edited February 2011
  • D-Cyph3r
    Typical, the weekend I get a loads of New parts and make some progress the forums go down...

Well I got the frame now, not something I initially considered but very similar geo and angles to the frames I was looking at. Its 2nd hand aswell but for the price it was an absolute steal, once the boys at Armourtex are done with it and I get a new pivot & bearing kit it'll essentially be brand new for less than half the cost of buying it new. :D

Pictures will be up tonight.
  • D-Cyph3r
    So here she is, a 2010 Devinci Hectik from Mr Rob Cole at Freeborn bikes. The frame is in perfect nick bar some light-moderate paint damage and he chucked in a Thomson Elite seatpost, Salsa clamp and brand new FSA tapered headset for £450 posted. Great chap to do business with. :D

2011-02-19113231.jpg

Got the quote back from Armourtex aswell, £82 for it to be stripped, re-powdercoated and lacquered sounds like another bargain to me. The frame is in bits so just got to get these bearings out the frame and it can be sent off:

2011-02-20185338.jpg
  • D-Cyph3r
    Huzzah! All the bearings have been removed from the frame so it's ready to be painted.

There was some blood, alot of sweat and nearly some tears involved (threaded rod + mole grips + bike grease = accidents), but for the most part my ad-hoc removal tool worked a treat. :D

2011-02-28150037.jpg

2011-02-28145929.jpg
  • Can i ask, i see youre running carbon bars (of which originated on the trek IIRC)

Do you need a dedicated stem for this (such as a carbon stem) or is a standard stem alright? Im worried about crushing the bars!
    The Frog: Lapierre Zesty 214 2010 - Upgraded - W.I.P
  • D-Cyph3r
    I'm pretty sure most stems are fine with carbon bars, though it's probably best to have one with chamfered edges on the clamping surfaces to avoid cutting into the surface too much. :wink:
  • D-Cyph3r
    150mm RockShox Revelation RLT's just won off ebay, brand new and unused with a tapered steerer, 15mm Maxle Lite and remote pop-loc. For a rather tasty £288 inc courier delivery. :D

Now I just need the brakes, new bar and stem, saddle, grips, rotors, custom decals, powdercoating and pivot and bearing kit... :?
  • Brakes - Get some Formulas (any flavour you like) direct from their site. Dirt cheap, quick delivery, and all great brakes.
  • D-Cyph3r
    I'm trying to track down some black RX's with the blue piston caps like these but it's proving difficult.

If I cant by time I have the money i'll be getting a set of X2's with blue piston and reservoir caps.
  • D-Cyph3r
    Finally some free time to update this...

So what was originally just going to be a frame, fork and wheel change has now become a completely custom build. The only parts left from the EX are the gearing and pedals. Yes it's already gone way over my original budget, but what does that matter eh?

Forks are still in transit (apparently it takes at least a full week to ship anything from Northern Ireland...), Slik graphics got back to me and are making up some decals for the Flow's and some new finishing kit was arrived:

th_2011-03-11164455.jpg

th_2011-03-11164547.jpg

th_2011-03-11164637.jpg

th_2011-03-11164657.jpg

So a newly revised spec list looks like:

2010 Devinci Hectik Frame w/Fox RP23 Shock
    2011 Rockshox Revelation RLT 15mm Maxle-Lite
    Hope Pro II Stan's ZTR Flow Wheels
    Shimano XT Crankset
    Shimano XT Rear Mech
    Shimano SLX Shifters
    Shimano SLX Front Mech
    SRAM PG980 Cassette
    Bontrager XR4 2.35" TLR Tyres
    Crank Bro's Mallet II Pedals
    SDG I-Fly Saddle
    SDG I-Beam Micro Setback Seatpost
    Blue Jagwire Gear Cable

And whats left to buy:

Hope Tech X2 brakes and blue reservoir and piston caps
    Blue Hope floating rotors
    Sunline V1 bar & stem
    Hope head doctor & seatpost clamp
    New pivot and bearing kit (£125 :? )
    Powdercoating for the frame

It will be finished by spring.... hopefully.
  • stu8975
    stu8975 Posts: 1,334
    Sweet, was thinkin of one of those myself...how much you spent so far???
  • D-Cyph3r
    Erm, about £1200 I think?

(though £800 of that was from selling the EX8...)
  • stu8975
    Did you buy the frame new? freeborn are doing the full bike for a bit over £2k - half price.
  • D-Cyph3r
    Nope, got it for £450 (with Thomson Elite seatpost, brand new FSA tapered headset and Salsa seat clamp) from Rob at Freeborn (it was his bike before he upgraded). Even once I add a new pivot kit and powdercoating it'd still be well under the normal frame only price.

Those are some stonking good deals they got going there though, thats for sure. :shock:
  • stu8975
    They certainly are, will be on my shopping list for my next bike i think, although Sram/Avid kit will be removed.

Although i fancy a Bottlerocket to launch about on :twisted:
  • D-Cyph3r
    Rev's are finally here! :D

2011-03-16173116.jpg

2011-03-16173159.jpg

2011-03-16173221.jpg

2011-03-16173322.jpg

2011-03-16173356.jpg
  • D-Cyph3r
    Some nice Blue Hope bits came today:

2011-03-18170231.jpg
  • Tolk
    Tolk Posts: 775
    Should look good. I used Slik graphics for some purple revelation decals last year. Really well made, and he even colour matched the purple to my prince albert frame!

What colour are you doing the frame? Just black?
  • D-Cyph3r
    Aye. Black frame, silver and blue decals, silver/black/blue components.

As I said earlier in the thread, was really tempted to go white on the frame, but black forks and wheels would have looked a bit out of place then.