Buying a bike trailer

Hi. I am in the process of trying to buy a bike trailer for my 1 1/2 year old son. I have been looking at the Adventure AT1 solo as an affordable lightweight (12kgs) option but am having difficulty finding any reviews on it apart from two. Does anyone have experience of the AT1 ie it's durability/waterproofness etc? I would love a Burley or Chariot but cannot afford them. I also intend using my trailer as a jogger . I would be grateful if someone could put me out of my misery. Thanks[

Comments

• baudman
    baudman Posts: 757
    I'm not familiar with the trailer, however it does seem to have a hitch which has a bracket that goes though your axle/QR that will stay on your bike. You the attach/detach the trailer from that.

In my experience, they are much better than ones that attach to the chainstay.

Beyond that - I'd defer to someone who knows more about the trailer. Looks OK... but hard to tell from a pic online.
    Commute - MASI Souville3 | Road/CX - MASI Speciale CX | Family - 80s ugly | Utility - Cargobike
  • Just got our Croozer, much cheaper than a Chariot but a substantial cut above the cheap models (which I woudn't trust). First impressions on the other trailer post.
  • Drfabulous0
    Drfabulous0 Posts: 1,539
    I sell these and have ridden with one, I would thoroughly recommend it, I personally think it is just as good as a Burley for twice the price. As far as durability goes I have had excellent feedback but I can't comment on waterproof as I haven't used them for long periods in the wet and most of my customers won't cycle at all in the rain. Not used the stroller kit myself but the only complaint I have heard is the sheer bulk of it, I think the chariot is probably better in that respect but it is 3 times the price. Having used many trailers and done extensive research, both primary and secondary, I truly recommend this trailer as the best on the market for the price.
  • dynastarg9
    dynastarg9 Posts: 103
    I've got the Chariot Cougar one and it's worth every penny. The water proofing and comfort for both me and my daughter are great. You feel it on the hills, but it rolls very well. Also good for jogging (except when the wife loads up my daughter with books).

I did consider the AT1 before discovering the chariot. I've no regrets in spending the additional money though.
    Lapierre Zesty 514 - 2010
  • motopatter
    motopatter Posts: 179
    hi, first post here, but as having a trailer and young lad (just starting on his own peddle bike) and working in an outdoor shop I thought I'd let you know you can proof pretty much any material with some re-proofer. Commonly non waterproof fabrics are treated with water repellency by manufacturers known as DWR (durable water repellency) - and this can be replicated with easily available products.

What we sell in the shop I work in is Nikwax and Grangers products. I've tried both on jackets and prefer Nikwax myself. They do a 'tent and gear' solar proof, which revives water repellency and adds solar proofing obviously. It's a spray on (the cleaner the material the better obviously, and costs about £7 for a bottle which should do a trailer.

Any outdoor shop will have re-proofers, and I'd suggest for a trailer it's not necessary to go for the best as that usually = breathable (for jackets) and I recon compromises waterproofing.

Grangers do a paint on tent proof (in a large tin at c£20) which would do a grand job on about 15 trailers.

As I wouldn't expect a bike trailer to have a 2.5 or 3 layer Gore-Tex shell (it would say if it did - as a guide Gore-Tex in shoes cost about £30 to the customer) I wouldn't pay a premium for a 'waterproof' trailer.
    wave your willy here !!!! :)
  • motopatter
    motopatter Posts: 179
    oh I meant to include in my above post - I used to treat my motorcycle trials boots with furniture pollish containing bees wax to re-proof them! I guess this could be used on any material also, but it did have an aroma :oops:
    wave your willy here !!!! :)