Continental GP 4000 S vs Michelin Pro 3

Brakeless
Brakeless Posts: 865
edited March 2011 in Road buying advice
I use Michelins at the moment with no problems but have been recommended GP4000s. Any opinions appreciated.

Comments

• maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    this is getting as bad as singletrack :shock:
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • porker33
    porker33 Posts: 636
    I switched from 4000s to pro3, mainly because I liked the coloured sidewall...they roll well and are more resilient than I expected, hard to choose between the 2 on performance when both are new really.

allegedly 4000s is less likely to puncture?
  • wicked
    wicked Posts: 844
    Agree the Pro3 puncture too easily. The conti's will last a lot longer too.
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    porker33 wrote:
    I switched from 4000s to pro3, mainly because I liked the coloured sidewall...they roll well and are more resilient than I expected, hard to choose between the 2 on performance when both are new really.

Agree, naff all in it really. 4000s I think blow up a bit fatter for the size than the PR3, not that this means anything.
  • mooro
    mooro Posts: 479
    had pro3's since they came out and they have been great for puncture resistance. cant comment on gp4000s though i bought a set cheap over the winter for use this summer,,,,,
  • marksteven
    marksteven Posts: 208
    used both its the contis for me imho better punture protection harder wearing , but its a close call :)
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    I use PR3's and GP 4000S's... Nowt in it, if you're talking about the GP4000S, not the GP4000!
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • paul64
    paul64 Posts: 278
    I really like the GP4000s but have certainly found them and Vittoria Rubino Pro to suffer from cuts on the road. Metal pins and other debris are usually the cause and it seems there's not much you can do about it whichever tyres you choose. I suppose I haven't really concluded if my Conti 4 Seasons are better but I think they are, at least for the winter.

After one eventful evening where the high pressure meant a tyre change lasted for about 1 minute, I learned that the holes gouged in our tyres can use some reinforcing. Cutting a rim tape (I was carrying a spare at the time) and putting a piece between another inner and tyre got me home that evening since the inner could not force itself against the tyre hole. To the eye, the tyre hole was not that large by the way.Since then, I keep a couple of 2in pieces of rim tape in the saddle bag of each bike.