Bike Radar forum hour contest

Benjamin Hall
Benjamin Hall Posts: 608
edited March 2011 in Amateur race
I was reading about the hour record the other day and moaning about the fact that cycling's purest competition seems to be ignored these days, which is a great shame.

So i got to thinking, and decided that my goal for this year is simply to see how far i can ride in one hour.

Then I thought that some of the lovely folks on Bike Radar might want to join me in this. Lets try and get a bit of a competition going...

Rules:

Two classifications Road bike and TT bike.

Anyone entering must provide some evidence of the ride, GPS data or just a quick photo of the bike computer.

You dont necessarily have to ride on a track, the road is fine. However the course should be as flat as possible. (Any idea on what the ascent/descent limit should be?)

No pacing, motorised or otherwise.

If anyone can think of other important rules then please say so.

So....Who's in? Il even try to sort a prize for the winner!

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Me! 6 miles.
  • Any chance of a "Sad Old Gits" category?
  • This is quite a cool idea. Just waiting for a thunderstorm now... :P
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Oh, I thought it was something like who can post the most tendentious junk in one hour. Didn't realise it would be something to do with cycling
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    Sounds like a great idea. Just a few questions...

Do we have to cycle for like a whole hour? That's pretty long.

Do we have to do it on a bike?

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • Percy Vera
    Percy Vera Posts: 1,103
    Can you stop at a cafe during the hour? :?
  • Surfr
    Surfr Posts: 243
    I fear there isn't 1 hours worth of flat cycling, even in a shortish loop around here. Will have to give the route some thought! Good idea though.
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    Dont they usually refer to these as 25 mile TT's!

Seriously though, nice idea-will probably be a good thread, with a mixture of interesting ride reports and utter shite from people like Bhima claiming 40 miles in the said hour :D
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    Tom BB wrote:
    and utter shite from people like Bhima claiming 40 miles in the said hour :D

"‎278 watts for 3hrs. Was on track after 2 hours but died big time in the 3rd"

See this and other gems @ http://www.facebook.com/50kph
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • Yeah Yeah....
    Lets engage in a meainingless 'competition' without proper means of comparison so that we can feel important and post some nonsense up here.

Do me a favour, join a CTT affiliated club, organise it as an open event with proper envelopes for those who do well and put something back into the sport that others can benefit from and then have a good structured rant on here about!
  • Anonymous
    a_n_t wrote:
    Tom BB wrote:

WTF? It says road racing cyclist. He's never raced!
  • Glad some folks are interested. Im going to have my first crack at it tomorrow. Im not hopeful...If i get over 20miles i be happy....pathetic i know.
    Do me a favour, join a CTT affiliated club, organise it as an open event with proper envelopes for those who do well and put something back into the sport that others can benefit from and then have a good structured rant on here about!

....or I could just do this, it's light hearted and fun.
    Can you stop at a cafe during the hour?
    why not....However...i'm hoping this contest can spur the technological advancements in on bike espresso machines....
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    NapoleonD wrote:

He'd beat Cancellara down the A54 though!
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • bompington
    Yeah Yeah....
    Lets engage in a meainingless 'competition' without proper means of comparison so that we can feel important and post some nonsense up here.
    What, are you not aware that this is what's been going on in one thread or another since the year dot? This just provides a formalised framework for using the Internet Adjustment Factor.
  • It pains me that such a bunch of bad tits have got into this fine sport..
  • bompington
    It pains me that such a bunch of bad tits have got into this fine sport..
    bluetit2-1.jpg
    I assume this is the sort of thing you're saying...
  • It pains me that such a bunch of bad tits have got into this fine sport..

Brilliant...why does wanting to have a bit of fun without paying a race fee or waiting for a start time make us 'bad tits'?

It's only the internet mate, if you don't want to get involved....you don't have too.
  • Chip \'oyler
    Chip \'oyler Posts: 2,323
    NapoleonD wrote:
    a_n_t wrote:
    Tom BB wrote:

Eh???????????? I thought from the profile pic that 'he' was in fact a girl!
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Does the hour need to consist of 60 consecutive minutes or...
    Can I just select 60 of my fastest minutes from the last few months.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,218
    Best bet would be for a bunch of forum members to hire out a velodrome and do it officially. My best distance in an hour solo must be about 23.7 miles (by pro rata from my 25 mile PB).
  • Pross wrote:
    Best bet would be for a bunch of forum members to hire out a velodrome and do it officially. My best distance in an hour solo must be about 23.7 miles (by pro rata from my 25 mile PB).

To be "official", you'd have to have just 1 person on track per hour. The velodrome at Manchester is available for exclusive use at £235.00 per hour & it is open from 8am till 10pm, so for just £3290 you & 13 other people can have a great day.
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    Could we start at the top of a mountain, and just go down it (not that I know of a mountain road that takes an hour to get down :lol: ), or do we have to end within so many miles of where we started.
  • can I use my car?

I managed 38kW in a traffic light sprint yesterday.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    can I use my car?

Shouldn't you be in the boy racer thread in cake stop?
  • morstar wrote:
    can I use my car?

Shouldn't you be in the boy racer thread in cake stop?

Is there one? I haven't looked in that part of the forum in ages. In any case, ford focus 1.6 TDCi would never ever make it into any kind of boy or girl racer category. Thankfully!
  • Pross wrote:

To be "official", you'd have to have just 1 person on track per hour. The velodrome at Manchester is available for exclusive use at £235.00 per hour & it is open from 8am till 10pm, so for just £3290 you & 13 other people can have a great day.

I'll bet you could even negotiate a discount for the whole day! :D
  • Anonymous
    I miss Bhima and his crap.