really stupid tyre / inner tube question

t0pc4t
t0pc4t Posts: 947
edited March 2011 in MTB beginners
Hi, I run 2.3 tyres on my anthem but as I have a load of 2.1 tubes I currently have 2.1 tubes in them.

Is this going to be affecting the handling?
Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Not in the least - tubes cover a range, they're not just 2.1".
  • t0pc4t
    these say they are like 1.9 - 2.125
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    It really doesn't matter. You could use 1" tubes, the only trouble is they'll be stretched really thin when inflated and more likely to puncture (if they don't explode before getting there).

Specialized tubes (which are almost certainly a virtually identical size) are labelled 1.5 - 2.3".

Seriously, don't worry, just ride.
  • t0pc4t
    thanks bud, front wheel has been sliding and slipping and I wanted to rule that out before shelling out on some nobby nics

suspect it is the conti verticals I have on at the moment causing the issue

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Depends on the terrain. I really liked conti verticals, apart from them being too fragile. The sharp flint and slate round here literally cut chunks out of them on each ride.

Are you sure you're weighing the front down enough?
  • Fenred
    Fenred Posts: 428
    +1 on conti verts and luckily dont have flint issues here in 'gnarly' Essex. :?

No probs with tubes, cheap 1.75-2.1 inside 2.3 rubber and runs well.

as above, if you're riding in attack ptn you should have your weight over the front and the verts are plenty grippy even in thick gloop so more likely to be your riding style than the tyre...Have a little experiment and see how you go....
  • t0pc4t
    cheers guys, I'll try putting more weight over the front, could well be that, it's normally rooty stuff that throws them

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • Anonymous
    rooty stuff will throw anything though!
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    putting more weight on the front to avoid a slide - I'd be interested to here an explanation of the theory behind that one please?
  • Anonymous
    edited March 2011
    Weighing the front down to make it grip more. Simples. You've really never heard of that?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I ran Conti Vert Pros for 5 years, great tyre - fast rolling, light, decent volume.

And yep, weighting the front can help grip there for sure.
  • t0pc4t
    well you guys have saved me £40 notes. I'm glad I checked that out and really appreciative of the helpful replies.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6