BC license photo

joeyhalloran
joeyhalloran Posts: 1,073
edited March 2011 in Amateur race
What photo do you put in your race license? Its such a small photo a passport sized one won't fit, what do you guys do?

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    My Avatar
  • ozzzyosborn206
    ozzzyosborn206 Posts: 1,340
    i cut down a passport photo, one of my mates has his facebook profile pic shrunk down to fit, it even has his name written on it....
  • emx
    emx Posts: 164
    I saw a guy's licence pic last year where he was wearing a false beard, silly hat and dark glasses - people don't really take it seriously....
  • emx wrote:
    I saw a guy's licence pic last year where he was wearing a false beard, silly hat and dark glasses - people don't really take it seriously....

Any half decent commisaire would refuse him a ride and fine him.
  • Zachariah
    Zachariah Posts: 782
    I just cut a passport photo to fit.
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    I just use a photo taken at home on a digital camera. Resized it in Word (easy to size to what you need and I'm too cheap to own any decent photo software). No need for photo paper or even a decent printer...
  • ozzzyosborn206
    ozzzyosborn206 Posts: 1,340
    emx wrote:

Any half decent commisaire would refuse him a ride and fine him.

that would be mega harsh, maybe tell him he should change it but on what grounds could he fine him?
  • Would you send a joke photo off to the DVLA and expect to be able to drive your car?

Non presentation of a valid license is an instant day license fee ( if available - and hope you dont get any points because they wont count on a D/L) or refusal of a ride if not ! - a valid license being one with a good recognisable likeness.

Would you care to argue with that rule ?

Do you think commisaires go through their training and dedicate their spare time so you can put a dodgy picture on your license ?

Though not
  • NapoleonD wrote:
    My Avatar

i'll be reporting you to the region if i ever see that! ;)
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,433
    digtal photo, scale to fit

i use a decent picture and find i can use it as a photo id in places like spain where they often want id before accepting a credit card, or france where many offices want you to leave an id at reception, i don't usually have other photo id on me, so it can be really useful
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    I just use a passport photo cut to size on mine. A mate of mine did use a picture of Marco Pantani on his for several years before a commissaire spotted it and made him change it!
  • I have raced for two years without a photo, just signed it and handed in the bit of card, didnt even bother sealing it. That included half a season of winter track league.
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    Would you send a joke photo off to the DVLA and expect to be able to drive your car?

Non presentation of a valid license is an instant day license fee ( if available - and hope you dont get any points because they wont count on a D/L) or refusal of a ride if not ! - a valid license being one with a good recognisable likeness.

Do you think commisaires go through their training and dedicate their spare time so you can put a dodgy picture on your license ?

Though not

You sir, sound like an absolute barrel of laughs :D
  • Would you send a joke photo off to the DVLA and expect to be able to drive your car?

Though not
    When I have to get my next race license through, I am deliberately going to affix a picture of me dressed as a clown, just for you Thick Tester.
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • mclarent
    mclarent Posts: 784
    And if I'm comissaire on the day, I'll tell you to do one. If you take the AC course, you'll have a session dedicated to license checking, inc photos. It has a photo space on it for a reason, and if commissaires are not refusing rides to those without them they are running risk themselves. I've unfortunately seen many crashes, both as a rider and official, but what if they let through a ringer and there's a crash? Will the insurance company pay out? What if someone suffers a permenant injury, will you get sued? How would you feel if someone is left in a wheelchair with no insurance payout?

The photo size is stupid though I agree. I cut down a passport pic, you can reuse them off your old license (if the pic still looks like you!)

Oh, and I would refuse the ride and report the "funny guy" to BC.
    "And the Lord said unto Cain, 'where is Abel thy brother?' And he said, 'I know not: I dropped him on the climb up to the motorway bridge'."
    - eccolafilosofiadelpedale
  • Percy Vera
    Percy Vera Posts: 1,103
    There was a decent rider in the early ninetys (I think) who wore a novelty doctors head torch and novelty glasses on his license, can't remember who it was though.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Got to agree that if I was commissairing I'd ask for some alternative ID to prove the licence belonged to the rider if there was no photo or a photo of someone else on it. If you can be bothered to spend thousands on bike, wheels, train 10 hours a week, drive miles at god knows what time on Sunday morning to a race then it shouldn't be too hard to stick a photo on a piece of card.

If it came to it then I dare say I'd let them sign on with no photo but I'd be less inclined to accept a licence with a deliberate piss take like a photo of Pantani . If the organiser/comms decided to add 30 miles on to the course mid race "for a laugh" I doubt the rider would find that all that funny.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • mclarent wrote:
    various waffle.
    I was joking, just quite funny how people get so wound up over such an insignificant thing like the photo. :wink:
    My next photo will meet with all necessary rules and regulations. I swear.
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • mclarent
    mclarent Posts: 784
    I was joking, just quite funny how people get so wound up over such an insignificant thing like the photo. :wink:
    My next photo will meet with all necessary rules and regulations. I swear.
    Well that's alright then! :D 8)
    "And the Lord said unto Cain, 'where is Abel thy brother?' And he said, 'I know not: I dropped him on the climb up to the motorway bridge'."
    - eccolafilosofiadelpedale
  • Percy Vera wrote:
    There was a decent rider in the early ninetys (I think) who wore a novelty doctors head torch and novelty glasses on his license, can't remember who it was though.

Steve Farrell. Pants on his head and pencils in each ear or something like that.
  • Percy Vera
    Percy Vera Posts: 1,103
    Percy Vera wrote:

Steve Farrell. Pants on his head and pencils in each ear or something like that.

I was thinking Matthew Postle, but I could be wrong; or maybe both
  • I must admit I am on the side of an organiser and if the rules state you shuold have a photo, then I expected to be excluded without it. The problem is that the rule is rarely enforced. No excuse I know, but it happens. I have raced in track leagues, crits and easter classic, so its not an isolated incidence.

I cannot see why a photo ID is necessary if its for insurance purposes - proof of payment of the policy via a more simple membership number / card would suffice, it does for time trialling anyway, and no one checks if you are a member of a club or not.
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    I cut down a passport photo, which I took myself and scaled to fit exactly the measurements specified by the DVLA, for my renewed driving licence.

You can fit 8 passport photos on a 6" by 4" print and this costs 38p from Boots. Bit of a hassle but better than paying £5 for 4 low quality photos from a photo booth - which I was massively disappointed with when I first got my driving licence as they came out too dark. My face isn't even visible on my old driving licence, or my current passport - hence me taking my own photos this time.
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • Surfr
    Surfr Posts: 243
    I presumed it was to stop people from picking up points on other peoples behalfs, i.e. racing fraudulently.