Japan Reactor is getting scary!

Karl2010
Karl2010 Posts: 511
edited March 2011 in The bottom bracket
Is anyone else sh1tting themselfs about this reactor in Japan? It looks almost guaruteed to melt down, and what if the weather carry's this radioactive sh1t all over the world, we are all going to be affected.

Of course our governments will play it all down, and we will never know the true scale of the dangers this reactor is causing.!

Comments

• tebbit
    tebbit Posts: 604
    No I am not ******** myself over the Japanese reactors, there are several of the bloody things having problems however they have withstood a much greater seismic impact than they were built for and a tsunami and it was the conventional stuff that failed. Nuclear accident deaths in Japan 1, other causes of death of 10,000 and rising.

There will not be a "china syndrome" with these reactors they have core catchers and a primary steel casing, we get updates at work on a regular basis and the radio-protection guys are pretty clued up. Long term again not too worried, but then again working in nuclear decommissioning and being based in Slavutich 40k from Chernobyl does put a different slant on it. Fumes from coal fired power stations in places like China kill more people every year than nuclear has in total, predicted deaths for Chernobyl 250,000 actual about 50.

Still not stuff you want to play about with though.
  • "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    It's been interesting watching the scientists backtrack from friday. Once again the internet has provided the leverage necessary to expose government fibs.
    I found out today that the plant utilised plutonium 239 which has a half life of......24 thousand years. Thats almost as long as the blame wiggle thread. And doesnt the emperors head look at odds with his body.

110316-emperor-hmed-240a.grid-6x2.jpg
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • FFS don't panic, Britain had its very own nuclear meltdown in 1957. An actual, proper core melt complete with fire in a (comparatively) primitive reactor. Number of deaths? Nil.

This hasn't yet happened at Fukushima and they are still coping.

Don't panic
  • mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907
    I thought it was only the press that were working themselves up about this?
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,949
    Gadaffi is loving it however.
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    Karl2010 wrote:

Of course our governments will play it all down, and we will never know the true scale of the dangers this reactor is causing.!

I don't really get this. The media and internet are full of people proclaiming the worst, and nuclear experts covering the whole spectrum from not-that-bothered to it's-the-end-of-the-world-as-we-know-it.

There is literally more independent, uncensored information about what's going on in the plants and what it might mean than you could possibly hope to process. How is it exactly that you think the wool is being pulled over your eyes?
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!!

Probably of natural causes at a ripe old age.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    Britain's emergency reserves of meagre optimism have also been hammered by the seemingly unstoppable rise of both Justin Bieber and Hugo Chavez.
    :lol:

I still don't know who feck Bieber is and Chavez is a new name to me. I must be living in a feckin' bubble or something. Yayyyy, me!!!

I'm not at all worried about Japan's reactor. The Supermoon'sa different story. I kak myself at the thought that there are people who believe this sh1t!
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    MrChuck wrote:
    Karl2010 wrote:

I don't really get this. The media and internet are full of people proclaiming the worst, and nuclear experts covering the whole spectrum from not-that-bothered to it's-the-end-of-the-world-as-we-know-it.

There is literally more independent, uncensored information about what's going on in the plants and what it might mean than you could possibly hope to process. How is it exactly that you think the wool is being pulled over your eyes?

I think its more a case of the government making a statement then post announcement having it challenged by 'independent' scientists and seeing a revision of said statement.

At the mo only a small group of people know whats happening at the plant and that info is self contradictory. Small wonder the japanese are reluctant to play follow my leader.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Karl2010
    I'm not educated enough to know the true scale of the problem.
    All i know is radioative material released into Atmosphere = BAD.!

We will never truly know what the effects will be from this.
    The information will have to be controled otherwise there will be wide spread panic.
    To be fair if the worst did happen there isnt much we can do about it.

As for coal killing more people than Nuclear, well that does make sense.
    Nuclear catastrophie's are few and far between, so that probaly why coal kills more people.

It is the long term affect that concerns me, like the radioactive material being carried around the globe by the weather, it will get in the ocean's where we fish, the feilds where grow food & live stock graze, basicaly it will get everywhere into the water supply and food chain.!

Who said the wool was being pulled over my eyes?
  • andyxm
    andyxm Posts: 132
    edited March 2011
    Karl2010 wrote:
    Is anyone else ******** themselfs about this reactor in Japan? It looks almost guaruteed to melt down, and what if the weather carry's this radioactive sh1t all over the world, we are all going to be affected.

Get a grip, I guarantee that more people will have been killed by the tsunami and earthquake than will be by radiation from the power station in Japan. If you're worried about this you must sh!t yourself every time you get in a car or ride your bike.
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck wrote:
    Karl2010 wrote:

I think its more a case of the government making a statement then post announcement having it challenged by 'independent' scientists and seeing a revision of said statement.

At the mo only a small group of people know whats happening at the plant and that info is self contradictory. Small wonder the japanese are reluctant to play follow my leader.

That's sort of the point isn't it? The official version doesn't wash, and everbody knows it doesn't. The OP seems to think The Powers That Be are in a position to hush it all up, and that's demonstrably not the case.
  • Karl2010

^ this
  • MrChuck
    Karl2010 wrote:

I assumed that was what you meant by this:

and this

The information will have to be controled otherwise there will be wide spread panic.
  • zanes
    zanes Posts: 563
    I am slightly worried by the rumblings of possible criticality being reached in No.4 (IIRC) reactors fuel pool....
  • Karl2010
    Fu*king hell.! Its like being in a fuc*king play ground,!

My fear is radioactive polution!

You lot just carry on, i wont be back!
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Its more a case of a government whose best interests lie in everyone staying calm, and a media whose best interests lie in selling a story. This is nothing new, perhaps the internet has sped the process up a bit, though.

The thing is, most of the engineers/scientists who know the full truth will be extremely busy working on solving the problems at hand, this unfortunately leaves a void for any number of "experts" (and actual experts) to come in and comment without full knowledge of the situation.

Then add a level of journalistic license on top of that, and you can get a very different story...

I mean one story could report that dangerous polololonium 424 (fictional by the way!) was leaking into the atmosphere, that it had a half life of over 1000 years and that as an alpha emitter, emitted the most ionising form of radiation.

Scary huh?

But what about if it's activity levels where such that it barely added to the background level of radiation, and what if it was pointed out that a scary alpha particle, is stopped by a big bad piece of paper! Suddenly the story is much more boring for one thing!
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    So what can you about it? Well, nothing unless you work in shares/derivatives etc where someone is prob.makijng a killing on rising prices of LNG and oil and buying nuc.technology shares cheap.

If those plants go boom or not you can't do anything and as has been pointed out Britain had it's disaster in 1957 which was a jolly bad show.I'm sure the Japanesepopulation are more worried than we are. I worry about some giant mutant squid appearing in about 10 years getting it's revenge or Godzilla being woken up. Look out downtown Tokyo!
    M.Rushton
  • mattsaw
    Karl2010 wrote:
    I'm not educated enough to know the true scale of the problem.
    All i know is radioative material released into Atmosphere = BAD.!

To be fair if the worst did happen there isnt much we can do about it.

As for coal killing more people than Nuclear, well that does make sense.
    Nuclear catastrophie's are few and far between, so that probaly why coal kills more people.

It is the long term affect that concerns me, like the radioactive material being carried around the globe by the weather, it will get in the ocean's where we fish, the feilds where grow food & live stock graze, basicaly it will get everywhere into the water supply and food chain.!

I take it you don't remember Chernobyl?

That was a lot worse, a lot closer to the UK, and I seem to remember the general advice at the time was just to keep kids indoors.

We did a pretty good job of surviving that.
    Strava
  • tebbit
    One of the things about Chernobyl is the cesium infected mushrooms, apparently mushrooms act as a sponge drawing up the cesium yummy goodness, we can buy local wild mushrooms in the market but we don't bother and buy the farmed bio-assayed button ones instead. Damn nuclear incidents stops me having gourmet mushroom experiences.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
    The nuclear stuff is easier to write about, and people over here can get more worked up about it.

Story after story saying "We recon around 100,000 dead because of the tsunami and following humanitarian crisis" doesn't really grab people's attention in the same way as "NUCLEAR FALLOUT, WILL IT AFFECT US? most likely it won't" headlines.

It's an issue for the people involved in sorting the plant out and the people who live very near it, but even then, it's not a foregone conclusion it's a disaster for them (yet).

It's nothing like Chernobyl for many many reasons. There's very little burning (as far as we know) 80% of the radioactive content hasn't been blasted into the upper atmosphere (which is what needs to occur for nations elsewhere to be affected) etc etc.
  • Richard_D
    Richard_D Posts: 320
    Some of the comments on here and in the media are irrational and scientifically wrong. Should we be worried about the nucleur power plants in Japan? yes but only in the same way as the oil refinery fire in Japan. Both have the potential of spewing carcenogenic toxins into the atmosphere. With respect to the discharge in to the sea then the guy should worry oil slicks and fish caught in areas of high background radiation e.g. cornwall
  • Panic sells papers – that's what's going on.

It was concerning though when I saw the helicopters dropping bucketloads of seawater on the plant, as that seems rather imprecise... as if they simply wanted any quantity of water on it they could get.
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    557971148_c01bc7f605.jpg
  • guinea
    guinea Posts: 1,177
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4944684.stm

This is a big deal. When reactors that aren't even on start popping there are large issues.

If we went back a fortnight and predicted that we'd cooling a nuclear plant with riot police water cannons I think we'd get some funny looks.

Nobody yet knows the scale of the disaster. It's unlikely to be another Chernobyl, but even the reactor's manager said it was possible that reactions could restart in the storage areas. So we just hope the helicopters and fire hoses make a diference.

Can you imagine the stress the guys in the station are under?
  • mattsaw
    Japanese nuclear worker: "I am prepared to die to avoid meltdown." I will not complain about my job today
    Strava
  • I was speaking with a friend on Monday who lives in Tokyo and she was saying that longer term they are worried about food, because that part of the NE coast was where much of the Pacific fishing fleet was based – and the Japanese eat a lot of fish. The tsunami has destroyed the boats and dockyards and killed a lot of the fishermen... now they are also worrying about what nuclear pollution might do.
  • tebbit
    My Russian colleagues are worried that it might affect Sakalin, not only is it a major oil and gas producing area, also we have friends there, but it is where the majority of red caviar is produced. My guess is that my colleagues are more bothered about any effects on the caviar supply.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    tebbit wrote:
    My Russian colleagues are worried that it might affect Sakalin, not only is it a major oil and gas producing area, also we have friends there, but it is where the majority of red caviar is produced. My guess is that my colleagues are more bothered about any effects on the caviar supply.

It's also a major strategic area which is why KAL007 got shot down some years back
    M.Rushton