Specialized Venge

speshsteve
speshsteve Posts: 352
edited March 2011 in Road buying advice
Anyone seen this, aero bike that Cav will ride at the weekend? Theres a picture in cycle sport, looks interesting......
My Marmotte 2012 Blog:
http://steve-lamarmotte2012.blogspot.com/
cervelo R5 VWD
Spesh Roubaix
Genesis Equilibrium
Spesh FSR Stumpy Expert
Spesh M4 Stumpy
Brompton SL2
Giant TCX
Canyon Grandcanyon 29er

Comments

• what brakes
    what brakes Posts: 328
    i like it quite alot! and im not ashamed to say it. especialy when i really dont like spec bikes normally!

cant wait to see it in the flesh and the price of it?
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    The price will be stupid because Maclaren are involved so there will be talk of aerospace/F1/wind-tunnels/DESIGN blah,blah.
    Prob. not available custom but would I spend £££££ on a Specialized compared to a Serotta/Viner/Seven etc - no!
    M.Rushton
  • Jeff Jones
    Jeff Jones Posts: 1,865
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • CarbonCopy
    CarbonCopy Posts: 492
    Yeah this bike is very nice indeed
  • bobgfish
    bobgfish Posts: 545
    Over priced and very bland. Needs some Italian flair.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Needs some Ferrari Rosso Red paint :lol:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    bobgfish wrote:
    Over priced and very bland. Needs some Italian flair.

Alot of £s for a frame that looks like a chinese import with McClaren decals.
    Would much prefer to spend my money (if I had it) on a DeRosa or Colnago.
    Can't beat the Italians for flair.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • speshsteve
    speshsteve Posts: 352
    a lot of dosh especially when you compare it to an SL3, wonder what the reviews will say.
    My Marmotte 2012 Blog:
    http://steve-lamarmotte2012.blogspot.com/
    cervelo R5 VWD
    Spesh Roubaix
    Genesis Equilibrium
    Spesh FSR Stumpy Expert
    Spesh M4 Stumpy
    Brompton SL2
    Giant TCX
    Canyon Grandcanyon 29er
  • SDK2007
    SDK2007 Posts: 782
    It looks bloody awesome !!
    To everyone complaining about the cost - S-Works, Zipp and McLaren, these brands aren't normally associated with value ;)

Specialized-3.jpg
  • bobgfish
    bobgfish Posts: 545
    £5000 for frame and forks? Overpriced? I think so...I could buy 2 amazing frames for that money. Whats with Matt back on all the bikes these days. Just bland. Although I will admit the photo above looks better than most of the other ones.
  • mrushton
    It looks to have borrowed from the Wilier Cento1 and the Cipollini ISD. Prob. made in the same factory as the Giant and the Ridley. It's not as tho' it's innovative as the Time Ulteam was and the new Look which has the new crank and adjustable stem. Even the Dogma beats it imo but there will be some of you selling your Tarmacs to buy the Venge to ride a 75 mile sportive 45 seconds quicker :wink:
    M.Rushton
  • I quite like it, but the smart money would buy the S Works model rather than the McLaren. A bit like the Cervelo R5 and R5ca. But what's going on with the name? Another rubbish one to go along with Shiv and Secteur...
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    I love it. Like them or not McLaren tend to bring a touch of class aesthetics-wise to everything they're involved with. They've had the best looking F1 car on the grid since 1997 (when Rothmans left Williams) with their silver arrows. The reflective coating circa MP4/21 (2006) onwards would be even better but probably illegal?
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    Lovely.

What does the McLaren version have over the standard? Is it just a different level of carbon and a different paint job?
  • What does the McLaren version have over the standard? Is it just a different level of carbon and a different paint job?
    Claimed weight for the frame only is 950g, with the complete module (frame, fork, seatpost, crankset) tipping the scales at 2.07kg for the McLaren and 2.18kg for the S-Works Venge.
  • In the article, it quotes some Specialized bod as saying something like "I had a ride on a modified Shiv with drops and was surprised at how fast it was".
    Really???
    I could have told them that years ago!!! He makes it sound like he never even thought about aero road bikes until he tried one!
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • Tinman_66
    Tinman_66 Posts: 36
    This looks awesome, as Benjamin said, looks ugly but fast. Just how i like my bikes :D

Admittedly it hasn't got gaudy graphics and chrome all over it like most italian offerings but that suits me fine, subtle and mean is the way forward.

Having said that unless my numbers come up tonight there's no way I'd part with the best part of £5k for the frame.
    Cove Stiffee
    Speccy Stumpjumper FSR Elite (2004)
    Kinesis Racelight T
    HED R1C (http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12755249)
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    It does look an awesome bike I have to agree.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I don't understand the furore over this. Aero road frames have been around for a good long while now. :?
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    NapoleonD wrote:
    I don't understand the furore over this. Aero road frames have been around for a good long while now. :?

Expensive + Mclaren = desirable

How much faster it would make us mortals I don't know. I though all the aerodynamic drag was caused by the rider and not the bike
  • johnboy183
    johnboy183 Posts: 832
    yes yes and yes
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    PeteMadoc wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

How much faster it would make us mortals I don't know. I though all the aerodynamic drag was caused by the rider and not the bike
    Meh ... not really .....
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    PeteMadoc wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

How much faster it would make us mortals I don't know. I thought all the aerodynamic drag was caused by the rider and not the bike
    Meh ... not really .....

No I'm not bothered about it either but people seem to be getting excited about it. Just a load of clever marketing really.
  • Tinman_66
    Tinman_66 Posts: 36
    The same 'clever marketing' that makes people buy Italian bikes because they think they're somehow better? No different really.

Still each to their own, i couldn't justify spending that much on a road bike no matter what the badge but still the coolest road bike I've seen in a long time. (In my opinion)
    Cove Stiffee
    Speccy Stumpjumper FSR Elite (2004)
    Kinesis Racelight T
    HED R1C (http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12755249)
  • NapoleonD wrote:

Did I miss something? I wouldn't call a few people on a cycling forum saying "that's a nice bike" a furore...
  • Chip \'oyler
    Chip \'oyler Posts: 2,323
    Tinman_66 wrote:
    The same 'clever marketing' that makes people buy Italian bikes because they think they're somehow better? No different really.

Still each to their own, i couldn't justify spending that much on a road bike no matter what the badge but still the coolest road bike I've seen in a long time. (In my opinion)

What 'clever marketing' is that then? Could you elaborate?
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • mrushton
    Italian bikes don't need (or didn't need) clever marketing. Their palmares did the talking whether Bianchi,De Rosa or Colnago. Those bikes were constantly seen on the finish line or first up a climb or even 1-2-3 at Paris Roubaix and that's before we get to the invisible builders who are quietly building frames out there such as Viner,Billato,Carrera and Pegoretti and Milani
    M.Rushton
  • wildmoustache
    wildmoustache Posts: 4,010
    In fairness Specialized have had the odd victory too - of late at least.

I think it looks tedious - black, red, stealth. ... yawn.

Problem charging such a huge premium over the SL3, when their pro riders are still wining on the SL3?