Modern Warfare 2 or Black Ops?

Gav888
Gav888 Posts: 946
edited March 2011 in The bottom bracket
I want to get one at the end of the month but I dont know which, ive seen reviews and watched some you tube video's comparing both, but still dont know. Ive got Modern Warfare and it's alright, MW2 sounds so much better, but again so does Black Ops.

I do like the Ghost Recon games as they have good co-op missions plus a good single player game, but there isn't a new one for a while yet :(

Anyone got any advice which way to go as I can only get 1....
Cycling never gets any easier, you just go faster - Greg LeMond

Comments

• petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    Neither

Battlefield Bad company 2

or battlefield 3 when it comes out
  • steve1312
    steve1312 Posts: 79
    battlefield bad company is a better game if youve got friends that play otherwise you struggle away with a crap group and usually lose alot of games

Black ops is the best out of the call of duty series unless you like quick scoping etc.
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    Out of the two, Black Ops.

If you're wanting to play multiplayer with friends then Modern Warfare 2 is pretty crap. You don't say which format you're playing on but I've tried both 360 and PC version of MW2 and I think it could've been a really great game if only they'd kept server based hosting from CoD:MW.

By having player based hosting on PC you WILL encounter dickheads. I've had my account hacked to level 70, and having started again, now rely on MW2Config for backups for WHEN you end up on a hacked server.

Was an avid player of Battlefield 2 so I have high hopes for Battlefield 3. If I could only have one I'd save for BF3.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,542
    Gav888 wrote:
    I want to get one at the end of the month but I dont know which, ive seen reviews and watched some you tube video's comparing both, but still dont know. Ive got Modern Warfare and it's alright, MW2 sounds so much better, but again so does Black Ops.

I do like the Ghost Recon games as they have good co-op missions plus a good single player game, but there isn't a new one for a while yet :(

Anyone got any advice which way to go as I can only get 1....
    From an XBox 360 perspective:

I preferred the maps in MW2. Comparing Nuketown to Rust is probably the best illustration of that. Both tiny frantic maps Rust (MW2) is well balanced with good vertical play. Nuketown (Blops) suffers from spawn hunting/camping.

Having said that, Blops has ultimately better online gameplay and, when they sorted out the servers, smoother and faster too. I've had many fewer problems conencting etc.

It's less versatile for different styles I've found - proper sniper/camping is not often option. That's a shame for me, given that I looove hunting campers!

They're reasonably even, but Blops will be getting more online/server support.
  • Battlefield is miles ahead of CoD games.

But if you wish to subject yourself to the CoD series then I'd go with MW2 purely on the basis that the game actually works! The single player on BO is ok and zombies is fun but the multi player is shocking!! They clearly ran out of time and rather than pushing the release date back they just let it out anyway! Constant over compensating lag compensation combined with awful matchmaking makes it the most frustrating online game I've played! MW2 might be full of noobs but at least it works.
  • rick_chasey
    Battlefield is miles ahead of CoD games.

But if you wish to subject yourself to the CoD series then I'd go with MW2 purely on the basis that the game actually works! The single player on BO is ok and zombies is fun but the multi player is shocking!! They clearly ran out of time and rather than pushing the release date back they just let it out anyway! Constant over compensating lag compensation combined with awful matchmaking makes it the most frustrating online game I've played! MW2 might be full of noobs but at least it works.

Over the past month or so I haven't noticed any lag, and given that I've started winning the odd free-for-all (never did that in MW2) I'd suggest the matchmaking is improving too...
  • Battlefield is miles ahead of CoD games.

Over the past month or so I haven't noticed any lag, and given that I've started winning the odd free-for-all (never did that in MW2) I'd suggest the matchmaking is improving too...
    It's not lag in the conventional sense. It just means that sometimes (or most of the times in my case) you can be up to a second behind your enemy. A second in a twitch FPS is huge. I can honestly say that half of my deaths have been from me popping round a corner only to be killed instantly or having four or five shots not register in the game at all. I don't play it any more but I played MW2 pretty much right up until BO came out.
  • rick_chasey
    It's not lag in the conventional sense. It just means that sometimes (or most of the times in my case) you can be up to a second behind your enemy. A second in a twitch FPS is huge. I can honestly say that half of my deaths have been from me popping round a corner only to be killed instantly or having four or five shots not register in the game at all. I don't play it any more but I played MW2 pretty much right up until BO came out.

Never experienced that! On either.
  • ben16v
    ben16v Posts: 296
    dont go MW2 if your on PS3 - there are loads of hackers on it
    http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... s+ps3&aq=1
    i need more bikes
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Battlefield Bad Company 2 is far better than that Call of Duty crap.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Gav888
    Sorry I should have said, ive got a Xbox 360 and just wanted a good war game. Im a fan of the Ghost Recons, and ive got a few COD games - MW and Call of Duty 3 and they are ok, only really played them single player though but many an hour has been spent on Ghost Recon GRAW and GRAW2 and I really like them, although graphics are getting on a bit now.

I hadn't considered Battlefield 2 to be honest, but checking out some reviews it looks really good, I like the idea that you can blow everything up :)

With 3 coming out in 2012 it's not an option as I want to play one of them next month when my mate comes back from Afgan....
  • how can people like MW2!!! it's shite!

Blops is pretty good! Cod4 is EPIC and i think the most enjoyable is BFBC2!
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
  • Squillinossett
    Squillinossett Posts: 1,678
    BFBC2 is by far better than any CoD. I have them all, and have always thought BF games are better, and I mean from all the way back when BF1942 was out!
  • ben16v wrote:
    dont go MW2 if your on PS3 - there are loads of hackers on it

+1 for MW2 on 360. I'm only a casual player but it gets a bit frustrating when you shoot someone in the head at point blank range and they calmly turn round and knife you.....

Don't know if it's all software glitches or game physics, but I reckon if you shoot someone anywhere with a Barret 50 cal they're toast..... :twisted:
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    all the problems on 360 ive been putting down to connection speed. the same lag i get on any cod game i also get on halo etc.
    the main problem with blops imo is flak jacket and the return of last stand. what a disaster, just encouraging the knobs with a fast connection speed to run round like fools and play carelessly but not get punished for it. if like me you live somewhere nice and probably have a slow connection speed -you have to learn to play smart and then some cretin can kill you from last stand after he should be dead :twisted: dont get me started.. :twisted:
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • ben16v
    ben16v Posts: 296
    i like BFBC2 aswel but its not as pick up and play as the COD series,
    with COD you can runa nd gun or camp on pretty much any map, play 2 or 3 games then turn it off
    BFBC is more intense, harder to kill people and you spend alot of time getting to the action after a death
    they both good, why not rent one and try it first
    i need more bikes
  • Stewie Griffin
    Stewie Griffin Posts: 4,330
    Havent played either but I have seen lego versions of both on youtube and the black ops one is infinitely superior.
  • x8swift9x
    x8swift9x Posts: 268
    MW2 is better, but black ops has zombies which is a big plus. Halo reach is a very good game too.

I play on xbox(better console)... if anyone fancies a game add me, 'sweaty brit x'
    Road: Felt AR0, Di2
    Touring/commute: Dolan Multricross
    TT: PX Exocet Sold because it was like a sail in the wind (sh*t)
  • rick_chasey
    Why don't we start a proper Bike Rader free-for- all on CoD?

Pick whichever version we have most copies of.

Starting from, say, 8?

I go by the same name.

Never played people other than nameless faceless randomers.
  • I'd go for that alright, although my connection in N.I. is laggy to say the least (there's my excuse for being usless at the game out of the way!!) if there's gonna be a PS3 Blops my name is jimmythecar
  • rick_chasey
    Excellent.

I'm on the 360 and playing blops at the moment.

I'm Rick_Chasey I believe.

No idea how all the adding etc works but I'm sure I'll work it out.
  • bugsrabbit
    bugsrabbit Posts: 182
    Why not! I,ve got mw2 and cod 4 ,although medal of honour is good multiplayer. I,m Aboldbeaver :oops:
  • Bunneh
    Bunneh Posts: 1,329
    Both. MW2 is fun in co-op mode and Bl-Ops is fun with a few mates.
  • Gav888
    Just got my Xbox Live running again after purchasing a wireless adapter, still only silver membership for now but im TWH Mansell 5.

Downloaded the demo's of all 3, have to say I didn't enjoy Black Ops as much as MW2 and Battlefield 2, MW2 was a lot more intense and I got into it more, with Black Ops its was boring, BF2 is a different sort of game, more open plan so you can wander about and not lineir like the COD games, graphics are really good on BF2.

I think its out of those 2, but BF2 is edging it. i will make a choice in a couple of weeks when my mate is back in the UK.

Cheers for the info guys. :)
  • Of the two COD games i prefer Black ops, but i do think with either, unless you play it a lot, learn all the nooks and crannies of every maps and know right combinations of primary weapon, attachments and perks for each map you will find it frustrating. I certainly don't play it that often and when I do find it very frustrating - (im Lvl 38 and that has taken me ages)

Why not pick up a cheap pre owned copy of mw2? must be some bargains around on ebay and if you don't like it, stick it back on and its only cost you the postage?
  • irezumi
    irezumi Posts: 142
    Got black ops on the 360.

Good for online gaming but as a singleplayer game it's boring and very short, and I play it relatively little. I have no problems with the online play, good fun and easy to pick up/put down with no problems. I have a fast itnernet connection so not many issues with lag etc.

Think Black Ops is down to £30 on tesco direct. Can proably find it just as cheap/cheaper elsewhere now.
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    Another vote for battlefield bad company 2. After playing that the COD games feel so limited in comparision to me - particularly not being able to blow up buildings, walls and cover never mind not being able to use tanks, choppers etc.

(if buying it though make sure to buy it new so you get the vip code which gives a load of new maps to download - buying it second hand might be a bit cheaper but its not as good value)
  • smithaay
    smithaay Posts: 114
    im pritty beast at COD so ide tank you all lol

i think that cod 6 online is probs better than black ops online but campaign on blck ops betta

the only problem with cod6 is that all the people on cod 6 have hacked so its a bit cr*p.

my name on cod is smithcycles908 by the way + if u go on my file share 1 nd 2 there prity beast LOL.

C YA

:lol::lol::lol::wink:
    Eat.Ride.Sleep.
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    PS3 owner here..

As games go I think Battlefield BC2 is better than any COD game, but for a quick pick up and play I'd go for Black Ops.

If anyone wants to add me my id is roxymilo, just let me know you're from BR.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,454
    I can only speak from a PS3 point of view. I got Black Ops when it came out and have only played it online 2 or 3 times since whereas MW2 got played to death and I have reverted to playing it again. I just prefer the maps and also the appearance as I find the Treyarch games a bit too dark. I would agree that there are too many cheats and glitchers on MW2 though although it has improved a lot. I haven't played Black Ops enough to know if there is the same problem on that but there certainly was on World at War. My favourite from the CoD range though is the original Modern Warfare.