Olympic XC Race

ian220476
ian220476 Posts: 164
edited September 2011 in XC and Enduro
Hi,

I keep reading that the course will be completed soon enough and that there will be some kind of test race on it. Does anybody have any details on this test race?

Keen to know if it is open to anybody to enter or whether it will be by 'invite' etc. Also when is it likely to happen and how would you be able to enter if it is open to general admission.

I might have misunderstood but would love to know!

Thx
Ian
GT XC1 - the harder you ride it, the better it is

Stumpy FSR 2010 - Rides over everything and everyone

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Talking to those 'in the know' it's likely to be invite only sadly.
  • Pirahna
    Pirahna Posts: 1,315
    The bloke responsible for handing over a few of the Olympic sites rides with my road club. He's already had a test spin on the velodrome, when I see him I'll ask about the mountain bike venue.
  • Pirhana - That would be fantastic - thank you if you could find out

njee20 - we can only hope its not true. Would be a real shame if they did as there are a lot of riders in this part of the country without a big choice of natural terrain who would love to have the opportunity. Fingers crossed they open it up!
    GT XC1 - the harder you ride it, the better it is

Stumpy FSR 2010 - Rides over everything and everyone
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    I think after the'll open it up but i cant see them letting it get used too much before the big event, and ive also heard that its invite only. hopefully i'll hear about it in time to get down there to watch
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • SiLanc
    SiLanc Posts: 180
    I have to agree with NJee and Surfbum, invite only and opening it up would only happen afterwards I would have thought, unless they really needed it bedding in.
    Lap by lap analysis, videos, photos, race reports and a map of race locations www.xcenduro.co.uk
  • bigdawg
    bigdawg Posts: 672
    ah finally were back..

right they are supposed to have three test races prior to the olympic race - grass roots, national and international to get opinions on the course - but they should have had at least one of them by now so I guess theyre 'breaking' their own rules... The bejing course was changed three times prior to the olympic race as many riders thought it was unsafe...
    dont knock on death\'s door.....

Ring the bell and leg it...that really pi**es him off....
  • SiLanc
    SiLanc Posts: 180
    I think Liam Killeen thought it was unsafe ;-)
    Lap by lap analysis, videos, photos, race reports and a map of race locations www.xcenduro.co.uk
  • njee20
    Well NPS3 was a 'venue in the South TBC', which suggested to me they were thinking about it, but it's now at Wasing Park again.

They used an NPS at Dalby to bed it in and show up some of the flaws, so an open access race could work.
  • bigdawg
    there is always the poss they are going to do all the test races in 2012, but I think theyll be pushing it a bit...

• I spose it needs some use and bedding in before the event, imagine a wet day there on the race day and the trail starts to wash out and not drain.

I reckon it will be allowed to ridden into just to make sure it bed downs well in time for the event.
  • njee20
    Nah can't see them doing that, it'd get trashed. More likely they'll do a race there, that'll also show any bottlenecks and what not as well.
  • VWsurfbum
    31 July 2011
    Cycling - Mountain Bike
    Hadleigh Farm International
    Hadleigh Farm, Essex

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympic ... 397066.stm
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • njee20
    Sounds like an invitational event to me, which is what I've heard from those in the know.
  • VWsurfbum
    njee20
    well do let us know if you get an invite :wink:
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • bigdawg
    the course is an all weather course, rain may make it a bit slippy but def wont effect the riding of the course - in fact in july august it will be very rideable even in a downpour...

Theyre keeping that test event very quiet, theres nothing locally about - prob so they dont get the locals wound up - wholl try and cancel it...

Need to find out more about this...

• njee20
    well do let us know if you get an invite

Sherwood NPS is a UCI class 2 race, so there's points on offer there, if they do it like that, so there may be a strong UK contingent!
  • bigdawg
    does anyone know if its being run as part of a series, national, international..??

• njee20
    No, no one knows anything concrete, but everything I've heard is that it'll be an invitational event.

The name on the test schedule "Hadleigh Farm International" doesn't suggest an all-comers race to me, so I can't see you'll be racing the course before the Olympics.
  • bigdawg
    bugger...!

Dont international races usually have support races too..??! They def used to...

• njee20
    World Cups often do, but this isn't a normal race, I don't think you're going to see a 250 rider mass start race with the world's MTB press arriving on scene.
  • bigdawg
    the initial point of the test events though is to ensure everything is ok, including parking for the teams, access roads etc.....

Ill get on there somehow.... :twisted:

• njee20
    But it's not a world cup event with all the teams, expo area etc, it's the Olympics, which will have less of the accompanying 'festival'.
  • VWsurfbum
    bigdawg wrote:
    Ill get on there somehow.... :twisted:
    This :wink:
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    njee20 wrote:
    But it's not a world cup event with all the teams, expo area etc, it's the Olympics, which will have less of the accompanying 'festival'.

You mean almost none of the festival :s
  • bigdawg
    so has anyone worked out what the differnece between the £20 and £45 tickets are..??

• njee20
    Grandstand on the finish line and trackside?
  • bigdawg
    that was my thought but they say the £20 tickets are the limited ones.

• VWsurfbum
    Opener today, i missed the invite dammit that STW were running yesterday

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympic ... 433617.stm
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • bigdawg
    stw was down most of yesterday...

bugger...! I so want to ride this course.

• xcwanabe
    xcwanabe Posts: 11
    I spoke with the guy running the event the other day and the test event will be an international invite only. Riders at the test event will have to be of the same standard as those riding in Olympics, so that's all of us mere mortals out.
    1993 Dawes Tandem
    2009 Epic Marathon
    2007 giant XTC Carbon
    2005 Specialized Allez
    2008 Sepc Langster
    2008 Lidls unicycle.