Search posts by author is iffy

ColinJ
ColinJ Posts: 2,218
Something is not right with the forum search facility.

If I search for strings that are definitely in posts made by me, sometimes it works, but often it replies very quickly that the search string wasn't found.

For example - I search for "costa blanca" with ColinJ as the author - no results found, even though I must have mentioned my Spanish trips at least a dozen times over the years.

Comments

• ColinJ
    PS I had a sneaky feeling about this ... I just repeated the search and it found "costa blanca" in the post I just made so it seems that the search isn't being performed far enough back in the forum history to pick up my older posts, but it does pick up recent ones. I hope that helps!
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    you can always use Google:

"costa blanca" ColinJ site:bikeradar.com
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I think the search facility can't find anything before the 16,000,000 post count. I searched for a members posts and only found 2 despite a much larger post count.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • ColinJ
    Bartimaeus wrote:
    you can always use Google:

"costa blanca" ColinJ site:bikeradar.com
    I have been doing that but it shouldn't be necessary.

I was looking for a couple of threads that I am 99% sure were on BikeRadar but I can't find them using the internal search or Google.
  • ColinJ
    So how do we "discuss the website with the team" when "the team" don't want to join in the discussion? ;)
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    there is nothing to discuss as it is a known issue which happened along with many other things when the forum was filled and stopped working and persist while the forum is on its temp home.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ColinJ
    nicklouse wrote:
    there is nothing to discuss as it is a known issue which happened along with many other things when the forum was filled and stopped working and persist while the forum is on its temp home.
    Well it wasn't known to me!

Nice reply ...

Oh well, it looks like you've missed out on the coveted 'Polite response to perfectly reasonable question' award for yet another year. Keep on trying.