When it goes wrong ...

Crapaud
Crapaud Posts: 2,483
edited March 2011 in The bottom bracket
... it all goes wrong at once.

A couple of nights ago I noticed water coming in at the top of the front window - looks like the gutters need cleaned out.

Last night I was watching the idiot lantern and it started jumping between channels. At first I thought it was interference or a neighbour playing silly bu88ers, but it's still doing it this morning. I'll need a new digi box.

Having slept in this morning I decided to do domestic things and fettle the BSO (pig iron framed MTB) and go for a spin or maybe just cycle to the baths for a swim. The vacuum's overheating and the front brake adjuster thingy has seized.

The radiator in the front room won't heat up. I bled it thinking that was the prob, but I've discovered that the pressure guage on the boiler's low - need a gas technician.

The strip light in the kitchen has packed in. It's a starterless (IIRC) tube and there's a glow at each end. Luckily I had a spare, but it's made no difference. I'm now at a loss on how to fix it.

I think I'll go back to bed - I'm losing the will to live. :(

Who'd be me?
A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill

Comments

• Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Crapaud wrote:

A couple of nights ago I noticed water coming in at the top of the front window - looks like the gutters need cleaned out.

Last night I was watching the idiot lantern and it started jumping between channels. At first I thought it was interference or a neighbour playing silly bu88ers, but it's still doing it this morning. I'll need a new digi box.

Having slept in this morning I decided to do domestic things and fettle the BSO (pig iron framed MTB) and go for a spin or maybe just cycle to the baths for a swim. The vacuum's overheating and the front brake adjuster thingy has seized.

The radiator in the front room won't heat up. I bled it thinking that was the prob, but I've discovered that the pressure guage on the boiler's low - need a gas technician.

The strip light in the kitchen has packed in. It's a starterless (IIRC) tube and there's a glow at each end. Luckily I had a spare, but it's made no difference. I'm now at a loss on how to fix it.

Who'd be me?

You need a new starter.
  • Crapaud
    That was my first thought, but it's starterless, Gazzaputt. I've taken it apart and can't see one, hence being at a loss.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
    58585 Posts: 207
    If you've bled the radiator that's probably why the pressure is low, top it up using the filling loop...

As for the other bits, well look on the bright side, you don't have to worry about tsunamis, earthquakes or fall out from nuclear accidents. And you live in Scotland :D
  • Blame it on the Nac Mac Feegle. ;)
  • Just think, theres always someone in a worse off state. Chin-up and carry on.
  • Crapaud
    58585 wrote:
    If you've bled the radiator that's probably why the pressure is low, top it up using the filling loop...

As for the other bits, well look on the bright side, you don't have to worry about tsunamis, earthquakes or fall out from nuclear accidents. And you live in Scotland :D
    Cheers, that's the pressure sorted. Still no heat from the rad. :(

Think I'll just go out on the good bike despite the grit and salt.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    How is the snow up there?

Seems like you are going through it at the mo. I blame Wiggle.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Crapaud
    No snow up here, EKE, you'd have to go further north.

Got a new digibox; channels have stopped jumping, but can't get all the channels. :evil:

Other news:

Can't see You Tube vids.There's some new software update that my computer can't handle. Their temporary solution doesn't work. Still, at least it's not my problem.

Was trimming my talons before my ride and the clippers decided to spontaneously spring apart and fly off down the back of the telly. Hardly a major prob, but Jebus wept!!!
  • Teach
    Teach Posts: 386
    Crapaud wrote:
    58585 wrote:

Cheers, that's the pressure sorted. Still no heat from the rad. :(

Think I'll just go out on the good bike despite the grit and salt.

Re-bleed the radiator, or bleed the highest radiator in the house, might be the towel rail in the bathroom or just a radiator upstairs. This might help, but there agait might not :?
  • EKE_38BPM
    Sod it.
    Burn down your house and all of your property and start again. There is no snow so you won't get that cold!

• Stewie Griffin
    Stewie Griffin Posts: 4,330
    My telly has suddenly decided to show the bottom half of the screen much darker than the top half. :( Started looking for a new one. :P
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Crapaud wrote:
    Got a new digibox; channels have stopped jumping, but can't get all the channels. :evil:
    Not enough signal then; one box jumped, the other wasn't able to pick them all up. Check the aeriel lead into the wall plate to see if it's good - strip back the co-ax & reconnect just to be sure. Do the same at the aeriel on the roof, if you have a long enough ladder. Mind you don't do a Rod Hull though. That would just be one bad thing too far.
  • EKE_38BPM
    CiB wrote:
    That would just be one bad thing too far.

+1!

• Crapaud wrote:

Who'd be me?

Try switching your life off and then back on again....that usually helps.
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • Crapaud
    Update: nothing's gone wwrong / broken down today.

I think I've sussed the light - it's the ballast. Yeah, I've never heard of it either. I'll have a poke about tomorrow to see if I can identify it.

Got the radiator working. Thanks to the wonder of the internet I discovered that the inlet valve can stick. All I had to do was unscrew the TRV (the bulbous thing) and the pin popped up and the water started flowing. Don't know why it 's become faulty as it's never been touched. :?

Added a signal booster, that I had lying around, to the digibox as a temporary workaround. I've now got all channels on the goggle-box. I'm fairly sure the main prob's up at the ariel.

Go me!!!
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    Day of win
  • I think I've sussed the light - it's the ballast. Yeah, I've never heard of it either. I'll have a poke about tomorrow to see if I can identify it.

There was me thinking ballast was supposed to be heavy, not light. I blame my teachers.
  • EKE_38BPM
    Crapaud wrote:
    Update: nothing's gone wwrong / broken down today.

I think I've sussed the light - it's the ballast. Yeah, I've never heard of it either. I'll have a poke about tomorrow to see if I can identify it.

Got the radiator working. Thanks to the wonder of the internet I discovered that the inlet valve can stick. All I had to do was unscrew the TRV (the bulbous thing) and the pin popped up and the water started flowing. Don't know why it 's become faulty as it's never been touched. :?

Added a signal booster, that I had lying around, to the digibox as a temporary workaround. I've now got all channels on the goggle-box. I'm fairly sure the main prob's up at the ariel.

Go me!!!

Top work. I love it when I fix things that are broken and its even better when I have the things I need lying around.

As I've told Mrs EKE, its not hoarding, its preparation for future repairs.

• Crapaud
    Yeah, EKE, it's very satisfying fixing things yourself, particularly when you don't have to fork out money you don't have for a 'man' to do it for stupid o'cost for 30 seconds work.

Wiggle's been no help at all. :evil:
  • EKE_38BPM
    Man!!!! Damn that Wiggle.

Contact their customer services and complain.