The Cotswolds Expedition: The antidote to sportives

Beacon Roads Cycling Club, proudly presents its

COTSWOLD AUDAXES

19th JUNE 2011

This popular event has become a classic on the Audax calendar and is one of the most successful in the UK, attracting entrants from all over the country. Riders will have a testing day in the saddle that equals many sportive events. It is a great way of exploring the scenary of the Cotswolds by either at your riding at your leisure or as challenge ride. The upper speed limit is 30kph as per audax rules, but you will be lucky to exceed that rate on this course!

There are four rides available and slightly vary in routes to previous years.

THE COTSWOLD EXPEDITION. 210km. South Birmingham - Broadway - Burford, Shutford - South Birmingham

THE COTSWOLD JOURNEY. 160km. South Birmingham - Broadway - Shutford - South Birmingham

THE COTSWOLD OUTING. 110km. Clockwise and Anti-clockwise. South Birmingham - Welford - Wellesbourne - South Birmingham.

Four hundred riders enjoy the warm welcome and camaraderie of this well-established annual promotion, which now features:

- A great HQ near the M42, with ample parking,
- Changing facilities, showers and catering
- Choice of three distances: 108, 150 and 202 km (67.5, 94 and 126 miles)
- Country lanes almost all the way
- Great scenery, with leafy byways and limestone villages
- Controls at cycle-friendly cafes and pubs
- Free refreshments at the start and finish
- Souvenir water bottle for every finisher

For details on the events and to enter online

http://www.beaconrcc.org.uk/audax/cotswold/index.html

DSC_4678.JPG

Miss this event at your peril

The Beacon

'A Local Club Delivering Extraordinary Events'

Comments

• Fantastic. I'm in. Who is else is riding this event?
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    I'm in (Aerial 14 again please). I've done it before and it's a superbly organised event, just like the
    Sunrise/Snowdrop rides in Feb.

Is that Roy Bishop in the photo, 3rd from left?
  • dead sheep
    dead sheep Posts: 109
    De Sisti wrote:
    I'm in (Aerial 14 again please). I've done it before and it's a superbly organised event, just like the
    Sunrise/Snowdrop rides in Feb.

It looks like Roy Bishop - he is an absolutely awesome mile-eater
  • De Sisti wrote:

I remember turning up at an audax and seeing Roy leaving some lycra racing type guys for dead. They had bonked at around 80 miles just as Roy swept past. I hate quoting Ian Duncan Smith but, "never underestimate the quiet man".

Incidentally, I love the Doc's title to this thread, an antidote to sportives. With so many sportives becoming crap these days, it is worth giving this event a try :)