New to the Forum

FoldingJoe
FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
edited March 2011 in Commuting general
Hi All,

Just thought I'd introduce myself as I may need plenty of advice in the coming weeks.

Just bought myself an Airnimal Joey Sport for my three day commute from South East London to the City.

I live in Cornwall but live\work in London three days a week. Really need to lose some weight so decided it was time to get on the bike and start the process of getting fit.

Really looking forward to the prospect of feeling the wind in my face, but also want to stay safe (wife and two young children at home).

Can anyone give any feedback on my route into London? Leaving from Hither Green into Gracechurch Strret (just over London Bridge). Route I'm looking it is up to Blackheath, through Greenwich, Deptford, Bermondsey and then into work.

Also, in the past when exercising early in the morning, I can get dizzy and light headed (low blodd sugar?), so can anyone recommend anything to combat this, as if I can't get over this it will stop me in my tracks.

Been reading the site over the last few days and masses of good advice on here, so think I'll be around for a while....

Thanks,
Lee
Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807

Comments

• Tonymufc
    Tonymufc Posts: 1,016
    Welcome to the forum mate. I can't comment on your commute as I'm in Manchester. As for the low blood sugar maybe have something high in glucose or some form of sugar. You'll probably find that most energy/sports drinks contain a range of sugars that may help. I should add that I'm no nutritionist and I'm sure that someone on here will be along to correct me. Also I would post any questions you have in the 'commuting chat' section. Its a bit more lively in there and you'll get an answer quicker as well. Happy commuting. P.S. its addictive!
  • FoldingJoe
    Cheers Tony,

I will take a look in the Chat room.

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907
    Just bought myself an Airnimal Joey Sport for my three day commute from South East London to the City.

If it takes you 3 days to get that far then you're doing it wrong

:wink:

Welcome to the forum.....
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava
  • FoldingJoe
    You know what, when I read it back to myself before posting, I thought "shall i change that, as some smart alec is bound to mention that"!!! ;)

• mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907
    FoldingJoe wrote:
    You know what, when I read it back to myself before posting, I thought "shall i change that, as some smart alec is bound to mention that"!!! ;)

Glad to be of service :)
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    edited March 2011
    Welcome.
    I would really advise posting this in Chat. General is a bit empty. Good place for newbies to find their feet though.

I'm a NLondoner so someone with better local knowledge (Deptford Marmoset, HatBeard, DHope, CyclopsBiker amongst many others) may be able to suggest a better route, but when I ride to the dirty South (Bromley and Beckenham mainly) I go past Hither Green.
    Based on that, I would go A21 into Lewisham, left at the roundabout and up the hill (Loampit Vale/Lewisham Way), down into New Cross (A20), around the one way system and onto New Cross Road/Old Kent Road (A2), across the roundabout and up Great Dover Street into Borough. Turn right at the lights (onto the A3) when you see Borough Tube Station and follow the A3 up the slope (hill is too grand a word for it) and across London Bridge. Not too hilly (apart from Loampit Vale which may look daunting at first, but you'll be fine) and there should be lots of other bikes (potential scalps) around.
    Job done.
    I kind of envy you as I hear there is lots of SCR* action on the OKR**.

Considering that I ride from Bromley to Blackfriars Bridge in about 45 minutes, I would allow about 30-40 minutes for the commute, but thats just me, YMMV.

I've always liked the look of Airnimals. How does it ride?

*Silly Commuter Racing. You may have to ask for ajudication for your FCN on an Airnimal. You could be a scalping machine!
    ** OKR = Old Kent Road

Enjoy!

Edit: Check out Deptford Marmoset's Cycling Buddies thread. I think it is EXACTLY what you want.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • EKE_38BPM
    Just googled your bike, pity its not a dropped bar model, but that is my personal preference.
    The Airnimal site says it comes without pedals.

You got SPDs, right?

• FoldingJoe
    E.K.E (yes, I read it in another thread, but I hope you don't challenge my missus for the right to marry me because too be honest, I don't think she's put up much of a fight!!!! :) )

No, it doesn't have SPD's; I grabbed it off eBay for a bargain, so it comes with the flats that the seller put on it!!! :(

Thanks for the info on the route. Liked the look of the route up through Blackheath and Greenwich as it seemed more scenic and I should be going slow enough, to start with, to take it all in.... ;)

Edit: BTW, don't have the bike yet as I am in Oslo this week, so pick it up next week.

• EKE_38BPM
    FoldingJoe wrote:
    E.K.E (yes, I read it in another thread, but I hope you don't challenge my missus for the right to marry me because too be honest, I don't think she's put up much of a fight!!!! :) )

No, it doesn't have SPD's; I grabbed it off eBay for a bargain, so it comes with the flats that the seller put on it!!! :(

Thanks for the info on the route. Liked the look of the route up through Blackheath and Greenwich as it seemed more scenic and I should be going slow enough, to start with, to take it all in.... ;)

Edit: BTW, don't have the bike yet as I am in Oslo this week, so pick it up next week.

Top marks on my name!
    I think the Blackheath route is hillier and will lead you along Tooley Street, which is busy and narrow with lots of cabs doing U turns without proper observation. Again, the locals will be able to advise better.

You missed the inaugural S.E. London drinks last week. You would have had more advice than you could shake a stick at there!

• EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Welcome.
    I would really advise posting this in Chat. General is a bit empty. Good place for newbies to find their feet though.

I'm a NLondoner so someone with better local knowledge (Deptford Marmoset, HatBeard, DHope, CyclopsBiker amongst many others) may be able to suggest a better route, but when I ride to the dirty South (Bromley and Beckenham mainly) I go past Hither Green.
    Based on that, I would go A21 into Lewisham, left at the roundabout and up the hill (Loampit Vale/Lewisham Way), down into New Cross (A20), around the one way system and onto New Cross Road/Old Kent Road (A2), across the roundabout and up Great Dover Street into Borough. Turn right at the lights (onto the A3) when you see Borough Tube Station and follow the A3 up the slope (hill is too grand a word for it) and across London Bridge. Not too hilly (apart from Loampit Vale which may look daunting at first, but you'll be fine) and there should be lots of other bikes (potential scalps) around.
    Job done.
    I kind of envy you as I hear there is lots of SCR* action on the OKR**.
    Enjoy!
    Do a search for the Catford Gyratory thread on commuting chat. There is some route advice in that, and others who travel in from Hither Green.

EKE has some good advice, particularly to pop to 'Cycling Chat'. The route is fine (and this is my route between Lewisham and the Dun Cow), but I think OKR is a little overrated at present. The surface is poor in too many places; the motor traffic can be a little awkward and pushy, particularly past the buses at the Dun Cow/Tescos; and the Great Dover St roundabout can be a little fast and daunting to cross towards London (not so bad coming out). Also, currently there is some nasty water main work going on. It boils down to a matter of confidence.

Blackheath and Greenwich? Hmm, not much in the way of hills in SE London, but that is possibly the hilliest route you could choose without going out of your way.

An alternative, and possibly flatter route (not that Lewisham Way is much of a hill), would be to get to Loampit Vale (I think the Catford Gyratory thread mentions some cycle paths from Hither Green-ish to Lewisham), then take Thurston Rd/Brookmill Rd, Deptford Church Street (very nasty surface), then Evelyn St and then follow the bikes. It gets less nice near London Bridge, though. Others may give some comment about the suitability of that route.

Nice to have some route variation available, though. Blackheath/Greenwich would be lovely (but knackering) on a balmy summer's evening.

Welcome to the forum and to cycle commuting in London.
  • FoldingJoe
    Just had a look, and apparently my FCN should be 12. Nice easy start to the commute!!! :)

• EKE_38BPM
    FCN 12. Possible secret scalper!

I see you lurking in Chat. You gonna post or what?!

• FoldingJoe
    Whoa, what's with the pressure... :);)

• EKE_38BPM
    Join usssssssssssssssssssss.

• FoldingJoe
    The deed is done...

:D

• ris
    ris Posts: 392
    fj - i've had a joey sport for a few years and really like it. it's great for using with the train, handles well and can take longer rides fairly well. i still use it a couple of times a month and while it feels a bit more upright than a road bike it can certainly shift when you stick some effort in.

i hope you enjoy the bike as much as i have - it was the starting point that got me back cycling regularly and resulted in my garage being filled with bikes.

you hopefully won't need them, but i'd recommend finding some clip-on mudguards (sks raceblades do a 24" size suitable for the airnimal). they're not perfect, and can be a fiddle to fit, but for preventing you and bike getting manky they at least pretend to be helpful. the other thing (if you don't already have one on the bike) is the airnimal commuting strap - it fits to the handlebars and gives you a way of attaching the bars to the downtube.