21 mile hilly commute

hammy7272
hammy7272 Posts: 236
edited March 2011 in Commuting general
Hi,

I am contemplating the above. I have got back into biking through the mtb world in the last year and built up reasonable fitness. Now the weather and days are improving I feel now is the time to get stuck in.

I would be interested in how long some of you guys commute and whether it is asking too much?

Also any general tips and advice would be welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• With me new back myself this year after a three year lay off here are my tips.

1) Dont listen to word i say
    2) don't plan on doing five days a week straight away
    3) take it easy and spin your legs rather than use power
    4) food, take plenty and eat. (unlike me)
    5) learn to service your bike or will cost you a lot of money
    6) personal choice but i have my ipod on low so at least it passes the time

Feel free to ignore all of my suggestions as i ignore some of them on a regular basis.

Chris
  • Marcus_C
    Marcus_C Posts: 183
    Is that 21 miles RT or one way? My commute at the moment is 23 RT and while I wouldn't recommend it to a novice, it is quite manageable by an experienced cyclist five days a week. Maybe start off one or two days a week and see how it goes. If it's 21miles one way then that's not impossible, there are people on here who do it, but it'll be more of a learning curve and you'll have to start really considering how long you spend on a bike everyday and whether it's worth it when you could have arrived home much earlier.

Do you have a road bike?
    - Genesis Equilibrium Athena
    - Cannondale CAADX Force/105/Rival
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    How hilly is it? There's some good advice on here suggesting that more than 2000-2500ft elevation gain per day is tough to sustain 5 days a week. I do a 30+ mile RT commute with 2100ft elevation gain up to 5 days a week. It's bloody hard work on an MTB 5 days running - far more doable on a road bike. Good advice above - focus on a good but steady pace to start with (try to keep your HR at or below 70-75%) and don't try 5 days straight out of the box - you'll get totally knackered and dispirited. Invest in some good close-fitting clothing too - helps no end.

Good luck
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Moodyman
    Moodyman Posts: 158
    2100 feet climbing?

I feel a whole lot better now about my commute. :)

I do 12 miles one way and climb 800 feet one way and 700 at the other.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    21 miles (each way I assume) is a long commute, I would suggest you start by finding where you can park your car and start with a half drive, half ride commute, maybe start with a 1/2 way (ish) stop and moving up from that.

You'll certainly need a good bike, either something like a CX or a Flat barred road based (not MTB) hybrid (depending on preferance) with mountings for rack and guards.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    my commute is 22 miles each way. its pretty flat though and takes 1hr 25. I dont do it every day. I'd highly recommend a comfortable road bike like a decent steel tourer or audax bike. and i listen to music on low too as its quite a schlep.
  • meanredspider

You'll certainly need a good bike, either something like a CX or a Flat barred road based (not MTB) hybrid (depending on preferance) with mountings for rack and guards.

Simon

I know it's a matter of preference but give me drops every time - so many more variations of hand position over flat bars (even with bar ends like I have on my MTB). Besides that, with the ups come as many downs and being able to tuck down and let gravity repay you is really nice.

I'd also suggest that, especially whilst you are beginning, use a day to take a change of clothes in for the cycling days leaving you unimpeded by all that clutter on your cycling days. A rear mudguard however is pretty much essential though I find the Zefal swan type works great on my road bike with the added advantage that it's 10s to remove it - very useful if you put the bike in a car with its wheels removed like I do.

Finding a good saddle will be important too.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • hammy7272
    Thanks for the replys. Yes it is 21 miles one way. Think i'll try one day a week and take it from there.
  • meanredspider
    Can I suggest you do more than that - or more evenly in the week overall. I don't think 42 miles once a week is going to help you as much as say 3 days doing half the distance (drive & ride) or trying for Mondays and Thursdays of the full RT. I don't know what others think.
  • hammy7272
    Hi,

Thanks again. Yeah I thought that might be a plan. Drive in cycle back and cycle the next morning. How long until do you think I will start to notice a fitness difference if I did it say 2-3 times a week. I understand this is very subjective but just interested to hear of similar stories for inspiration.

thanks again, much appreciated
  • From my own experience here is as follows.

Week 1 to to 3 - 1 day a week took me an hour both ways

Week 4 to 5 two days a week took me an hour both ways

Since then mixed between 3 and four days a week, getting quicker as well without really trying much harder, take from that what you will. I have a 14 mile each way journey which is best describd as lumpy, all this on my mtb.

Having said that my legs today deserted me completely, still did an hour but was really hard work. Tomorrow starts the roadie stylie so will be quicker. In April i have also decided to add some really awful hills on the way home at least once a week so see what happens after that.

Chris
  • meanredspider
    Yeah - it's difficult for me to say how quickly I noticed a difference because, being impatient to start, I began riding on a 10 year old MTB fitted with Ice Spikers (too icy for a road bike I discovered after a mile....). The biggest difference wasn't the speed o did each ride in but how much my legs hurt and how tired I was. These days (a year on) my legs only begin to feel tired on day 4 or 5 in the week.

Break yourself in gently but do try smaller but frequent and build up from there - you'll maintain your enthusiasm better IMO. If you feel totally shagged by week 2 you're more likely to give up and you need to recognise that, whilst what you are planning is certainly doable, it's at the more extreme end of commuting. It will take some getting used to. When I can I do 5 days of 30+ miles with 2100ft of climbing - I'm 46, 95-ish kg and been at it for an elapsed year (though had a 3 month enforced break with my son's illness). Don't try to break any speed records and, if you feel shagged, take a day off but commit to doing the next day else you'll be on a slippery slope. Do use a good saddle and chamois cream to avoid feeling too uncomfortable early on. Oh, and get some good puncture resistant tyres - again, nothing more demoralising than having to fix flats often. Stretch well after your ride and eat and hydrate properly. All of these things will make success more likely. And you will have some serious kudos from folks when they hear what you are doing.
  • hammy7272
    Thanks again guys for your time.

I have been thinking about this for a while and I am waiting for the clocks to change to dive in! :)
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    All good advice above.

My commute is 25-miles round trip with 1100ft ascent (most in the evening).

I don't think I am much faster (3-years in) but am a lot less tired. Mind you, I am not training to improve my speed, just comfort.

Most of the time I'm fine , but every so often there will be a day with a massive headwind, and it will be hard.

Also get enough sleep. If I don't get enough sleep, it really hurts.
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    There seem to be an epidemic of newbs posting this type of query at the moment as there are two other similar posts. Can't you lot read :lol: ? Only kidding.

But seriously read the other threads. Do the route or part of it at the weekend when you don't have to be at work so if you fail miserably and abandon then no harm done only hurt pride. Work out what would initially be a manageable distance and the frequency. Be realisitic start small and build up. If cycling far and regularly you will need to eat properly and pretty much the whole time, so cost and effort of additional shopping plus maintain your bike properly as your bike will very quickly become knackered if your don't maintain it properly which will ruin any riding enjoyment. A well maintained and freshly lubed bike is a joy to ride.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819
    edited March 2011
    For 10+ years my commute has been around a 35 mile RT - can't recall the total ascent but I think it's something like 2000ft - I'll have to check that, it's certainly lumpy, much more height-loss going in, gaining on the return.
    There have been rare occasions in the past when I've done all 5 days but even 4 days out of 5 sometimes left me feeling pretty washed-out. I've always used a drop-bar road bike, anything that makes it any harder would be unwanted, deffo no MTB, taking an hour - 75 minutes is more than enough.
    When the days are longer and I've felt the motivation I have occasionally added in some extra miles for training or pleasure purposes (some alternative nicer roads).
    Days I drive I take clothes etc so all I have to carry along with normal bike-related bits are the day's lunch etc.
    Initilal suggestion would either be only part-route cycle with the first bit by car or Monday / Wednesday and Tuesday / Thursday off with the potential for Friday cycle if you still feel fresh enough.
    Also depends if you do a big / hard ride at the weekend.

Just checked - My commute has around 240mtr climbing in, 400mtrs climbing back home.
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800
    Get one of THESE :wink:
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • Robstar24
    Robstar24 Posts: 173
    my commute from home to office is 26 miles each way, with lots of hills in the first few miles, flatter thereafter. I started out doing it both ways every day, but I have started putting my bike in my car, driving the 6 miles to my inlaws (and thus cutting out the hardest hills) to leave me with a 20 mile each way commute, which is very manageable.

it is doable but will take some adaptation, your legs will harden up before you know it
  • good advice above, definately get a comfortable bike, steel was a good shout, the vibrations from aluminium will just tire you out.
    my friend started commuting and was into mtbing and he struggled at first because he wasn't used to pedalling all the time as you do on the road, so he parked up about 14 mile from work and now he's cycing 21 miles also each way, took him about 2 1/2 months plus the confidence.
    my commute is 32 miles each way, i do it 3 days a week and share a lift with the mrs the other two :)
    good luck anyway mate
  • andyrr
    TBH possibly THE main issue is that of time :
    Even if you are pretty fit 21 fairly hilly miles will involve around 75 - 90 minutes on the bike.
    That adds up to 2 1/2 - 3hrs total riding per day and, whilst that is a more pleasant alternative to driving in queues of traffic it does mean that you are starting your day and ending your work/commute day earlier and later than you otherwise would.
    Coupled with working a full day and it means your time away from home is going to be longer and may mean that your time for other stuff, including resting, eating, sleeping etc, is insufficient.
    I'd go for trying this 2 or 3 times per week, initially at least, to see how it work out for you.
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    andyrr wrote:
    2 1/2 - 3hrs total riding per day
    means your time away from home is going to be longer and may mean that your time for other stuff, including resting, eating, sleeping etc, is insufficient.
    It also means less time for the other things in your waking life apart from work. I would recommend once a week on a road (i.e. drop-bar) bike to start with.

I don't find my alu Giant road bike gives any unpleasant vibes, but if you can get a few test rides you can establish which you prefer. It's you that has to ride it, after all. I'd suggest you choose one with sensible geometry and clearance/eyelets for mudguards and a rack, even if it is just enough to fit Crud Roadracers, riding 20 miles with a soggy arse and soaked footwear isn't great. Buy SPD shoes & pedals as well as comfy shorts etc.

Riding a long commute I'd want to factor in:
    - food & drink while riding. You'll also probably be ravenous when you get to work and need a top-up before the ride home;
    - being able to freshen up when you arrive;
    - lights for when there is poor visibility. I like my USB rechargeable Electron Backupz;
    - tools, spares and how to carry the extra food you'll need and whatever stuff you require for work;
    - regular bike maintenance;

If you are looking to get fit then get a basic computer and record your times - you'll soon see as the times improve (wind direction allowing) that you're getting fitter. Along with getting on the scales and seeing the weight come off, that's a great feeling :-)
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800
    andyrr wrote:
    TBH possibly THE main issue is that of time :E.

and of being smelly all day unless you have somewhere to wash and change when you get there :shock: which will then take up more time.

One of the biggest problems i had when doing a 14 mile hilly commute was temperature control around november time - 7.30am and it could be icy cold an hour or so later it could be considerably warmer and i would now be a smelly steaming mess and would instantly start to drip if i immediately entered a building. Cycling home was always a pleasure as there was no need to rush. Best idea is to give up work, problem solved :wink:
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • andyrr
    Having a cycling-friendly workplace is pretty useful too -
    I wash my kit at work, wring it in a towel, have a spare set and the next day the previous set is dry. I can put the dry-fit vest on my chair to finish drying and the short under the desk hanging down. Not too obtrusive and has worked for a few years now.
    Not working would be a nice alternative but ain't going to happen (well, not by my choice anyway ..)