bar and stem query

gaffy
gaffy Posts: 553
edited March 2011 in Road buying advice
hi,

i have a 2008 madone 5.2 (54cm) frame and want to replace the current bar and stem with different ones - most likely bontrager race/race lite/race x lite to keep the theme running.

i just need advice on compatibility.

does the new stem have to be a particular size to fit my headset/steerer?? if so what do i need??

and do the bars have to be a particular size to fit the stem?? ive seen that you can get oversize :L

many thanks

Comments

• alistaird
    alistaird Posts: 290
    I would have thought that your steerer was a 1 1/8 inch which is standard now (they used to be 1 inch...) so the stem needs to be the same and then you can either get standard bars (25.4 mm from memory) with a standard bar size stem or go for an oversize bar and an oversize stem (31.8mm I think?).

Hope this makes sense...???

Alistair
    Alistair

Best Weather Bike - Time ZXRS
    Summer Road Bike - Pinarello FPX Dogma
    Winter Road Bike- Colnago E1
    Being Dismantled - Sintesi Blade
    Mountain Bike - Sold them all....
  • gaffy
    cheers champ! loving this forum, absolute fountain of knowledge and thanks for the quick reply too.

yeah i was thinking that, are most steerers 11/8 now yeah? so the bontrager bars should fit no problems no matter which one i get?

dont think i want oversize - smaller and lighter the better.

so i need to buy a stem with a 11/8 steerer fit and a clasp that fits a standard size bar and then a standard size bar to fit the clasp.

sweet cheers bud.
  • Chris McG
    Chris McG Posts: 189
    Yep Alistair, you got that right: 25.4 is standard and 31.8 is oversize...
    "Orbea, Bianchi, Ridley, Van Nicholas, Planet X, Niner. My Euro-bike menagerie was going well up to the last 2..."
  • alistaird
    Just make sure that the bars are the correct width for your shoulders... They come in 40, 42 and 44cm widths normally... Also, the drops and reach can be different etc. etc. so do have a look around. If you find your current bars comfortable then try and get the same width, drop and reach again.

Good luck,

Alistair
    Alistair

• gaffy
    for sure, pretty sure the standard bar that came on my trek 2.5 is a 46 absolutely mahoosive. yeah will have to look into drop and reach, cheers lads.
  • alistaird
    gaffy wrote:
    for sure, pretty sure the standard bar that came on my trek 2.5 is a 46 absolutely mahoosive. yeah will have to look into drop and reach, cheers lads.

Just check if this is c-to-c or o-to-o measurement of the bars.... different manufactures use different standards...

Alistair
    Alistair