(Slow) Century Nutrition Advice

bigwilly
bigwilly Posts: 23
edited March 2011 in Amateur race
Can some one give me some ideas about what sort of nutrition/additives/gels etc would you recommend i consume, at what rate and what I eat/drink before after the ride when i do my charity ride from Knutsford, Cheshire > Holyhead, Angelsy in 5 weeks!

Comments

• jocksyboy
    jocksyboy Posts: 135
    Have you not done similar distances as part of your training?
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells
  • bigwilly
    Not yet ! Quite new to it, hence the questions lol.
  • emx
    emx Posts: 164
    would make more sense to ask the question in the training forum
  • jocksyboy
    the reason for my question was more of what you ate for shorter rides.

however if your training has been sparse then it's difficult to say- the body takes time to adapt to training and to the food that it can ingest whilst exercising.

the only thing to do is try a variation and see what works.
    There is no shortcut!
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells
  • bigwilly
    Sorry if ive posted this in the wrong section...New to the forum !

My main concern is what quantitys of things ill need? I read about these gels and will hopefully be testing a few of CNCs good this weekend so do i go from there?

is there any rules of thumb e.g. 100 calories every 10 mins or something ? or 100 every mile?

Do/should i add anything to my water?

How much water should i take ( i have a 1.5l camel sac - is that enough lol)

Any special pre/post ride products or DIY style food stuffs should be tryiing/buying

Any links to something that i have not found on here that will tell me all ?
  • jocksyboy
    the short answer is that it is different for everyone.

Do a search on nutrition and what to eat and everyone will have different suggestions.

If i was doing a century i would have a normal breakfast muesli, 2 slices of toast with jam and a coffee or 2.

i would take 2 bottles one with water one with energy drink. i would take 3 or 4 cereal bars and a couple of gels as an emergency back up.

Having said that this would vary enormously depending on speed/ intensity/ temperature and hilliness of the ride.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    For a low intensity effort I think you'd be better off sticking with normal food rather than gels. Stuff like bananas, flapjack or whatever you fancy. Maybe use a dilute sports drink (more dilute than the manufacturer will recommend) but there is really no need to overboard on these products for a ride like this and I think you risk intestinal problems during the ride if you rely heavily on them.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.