Lidl Heads Up

Cleat Eastwood
Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
edited March 2011 in The bottom bracket
you can tell its spring...its lidl bike time again

HERE
The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Is that link right?
  • x8swift9x
    x8swift9x Posts: 268
    The Link is fine, enter your postcode then it shows the products...the bike hoist seems pretty darn cheap!
    Road: Felt AR0, Di2
    Touring/commute: Dolan Multricross
    TT: PX Exocet Sold because it was like a sail in the wind (sh*t)
  • dizzydane
    dizzydane Posts: 322
    OMG!!! So cheap!

Thanks - gonna get me a nice lidl backpack :D
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    thanks for link :D
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • R8JimBob88
    R8JimBob88 Posts: 285
    I dont need a hoist but that looks like pointless fun
    If you do what you have always done, you will get what you always got....
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Just tried arguing that my race bike hoisted up in the living room would double up as art but she's not going for it.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    I'm sure the hoist was used in 'The Silence of the Lambs'.

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • Sirius631
    Sirius631 Posts: 991
    I have some dead space above the return in my staircase. A couple of bike hoists will solve my storage problem.

Thanks for the link.
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.
  • stevee_p
    stevee_p Posts: 37
    Really cheap gear on there!

Think for £7 I'll try a gilet and jersey, can't really go wrong!
  • ceeque
    ceeque Posts: 52
    Big thanks for this tip +1 .... some good looking bits and pieces in there!
  • berliner
    berliner Posts: 340
    Whats an American valve (mm): 40 re tubes
  • Posting this in each forum it's mentioned.

Pretty sure everything from the newsletter was in stock, more or less. Just a handful of people sifting through the items when I got there at around 10:20am.

These are just first impressions of what I bought, no time to test them so soon!

Socks:
    Usually take a size 8 shoe so picked up the 6-8 (39-42) and they fit snuggly. Re-enforced toe box and heel areas and narrower in-between for grip around the middle of your foot. Short cuff/collar - none of your Sky team calf length socks here! Bought 2 packs (4 pairs) and think they'll be just fine.

Jersey:
    Nice, lightweight top with a particularly long tail. 3 normal rear pockets and a small key/change pocket with (unusually) a vertical zip. I assume the "chin guard" refers to the piece of the collar which folds over the top of the (full length) zip to stop you catching it with your chin if you lower your head. I wanted a small (34?-36") but had to settle for a medium (38-40") - just slightly loose fitting on me (36" would be ideal) but not overly drag-inducing.

Performance Cycling Top:
    A compression garment. Got this in a medium too (38-40") but it still feels (correctly) very snug so you may want to get a size up if you are close to being "between sizes". Very comfortable sleeveless vest which should be good as an under layer in cool/cold weather and may work when warmer too if it wicks properly. I think it will emphasise love handles if you have them though ;-)

I didn't get the compression shorts but I'm now thinking I should, though for my ice hockey rather than cycling.

Gilet:
    Now this you may want to size down unless wearing it over bulkier jersey. I got the small and it's a slightly relaxed fit over the jersey I bought. Only a little bit though. Again, a nice long tail with a single full width zipped pocket (mesh lined). From the top of the pocket to the shoulder yoke the material is fine mesh only, no solid fabric. The front, sides, yoke and pocket area are all mesh-lined fabric. The gilet also has a generously sized zipped pocket on each side, easily big enough for bulky gloves for example.

Insulated Water Flask:
    The claim of 500ml is correct, although as is normal with insulated bottles it's larger externally (approx 750ml I'd guess). Interestingly, the inner sleeve is removable for washing (dishwasher safe apparently) which will make it much easier to see that it's bacteria-free. The outer bottle is foam lined so I suppose you could even carefully use that as a storage bottle for tools and so on if not needing it as a bottle.

The cap has a normal teeth-pull nozzle (fairly hard plastic) and there is a clear domed flip-top lid to keep the whole cap clean. Rigid clear plastic so I'm sure it would shatter or crack in a crash. Probably best not to leave it in freezing conditions either in case the plastic fatigues. But it you lose the dome, the bottle will still work the same otherwise.

Pannier Set:
    An "Ortlieb style" roll top pannier (17l each) with detachable shoulder strap (Nifco-style clips). Rubbery plastic carry handle and 3 attachment points for a rack (2 on top and one horizontal-facing at the bottom. All 3 can be independently slid along their rails for better fine-tuning of the fit by loosening their screw.

The seams are taped and the wheel-side has an inner rigid plastic liner. No such liner for the base unfortunately. A removable one would have been a nice option. The "Nifco" straps for the rolled down top are fixed to the pannier by studs rather than sewn. There's a reflective silver triangle facing the rear. Mesh outer pocket on the side (no way of sealing it though - no zip, flap or velcro) Unfortunately I had to take a lime green set but at least it's bright till it gets dirty!

Finally the Bicycle Hoist:
    I'm not planning on using these immediately but at this price (£4.99) I got two and probably would have picked up another two if not for the risk of doing a wheelie all the way home with the extra weight! Not a lot to say about this but it does have a multi-language instruction book and the English (at a brief glance) appears correct! It comes with fitting screws and rawl-plugs. My only thought might be that wider screws would give a bit more peace of mind but if you fit it to strong beams or joist, you'll probably be fine. The model is a Powerfix Profi+ KH4260, though a quick Google didn't turn up anything on it.

I didn't opt for any other items or look at them in detail. I've seen the multi-tool before though and I'm not sure about its longevity as far as the metal rounding off. Tools are something I'd never go quite so low budget on.

Any questions, please ask and I'll see what I can add.

Focus Cayo Expert (road)
    Giant ATX 970 (full susp)
    Trek Alpha 4300 (hardtail)
    Peugeot 525 Comp (road - turbo trainer duties)
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    +1 Wot 'e said, for the bits I've bought. Top, compression vest and u/shorts; the quality seems to have bridged to Aldi. Wore the u/wear on a short ride today and found the pad very cumfy. Thinking of drifting back to Lidl tomorrow on the off-chance that some stuff may be left.
    The older I get the faster I was
  • acidstrato
    acidstrato Posts: 945
    good info people!

may pop by tomorrow
    Crafted in Italy apparantly
  • Pigtail
    Pigtail Posts: 424
    Bought a few of the same things plus:-

the light set. The 5 rechargeable batteries for the front light alone would have cost more than the £9.99 charge in most places. Rear light has 5 leds and 2 AAA non-rechargeable batteries. No flashing mode.

Shorts:- Bought both the 3/4 and shorts in medium. Far too small, returned and swopped them for large. Main issue was that the legs were too tight around my calves. Beware of the 3/4 if you have big calves.

Gel Gloves 7.5 too small, 8 a bit tight, but 9 too big so I bought the 8. There wasn't an 8.5 option.

Small saddlebag with tools, a bit gimmicky, very little room to fit in a tube, no container for puncture repair kit - I suspect the tube of rubber solution could be easily burst. Multitool quite heavy.

Bike computer - haven't tried it yet, very cheap wired version, with temperature.

James
  • acidstrato wrote:
    good info people!

may pop by tomorrow

Good luck, hope there's actually something left in sore that you want. It typically sells out fast. I may gamble on seeing if there are any more hoists left tomorrow if I have the time and pick up some compression shorts if I can. If I'm out of luck, no big deal. At least I can test out most of what I bought today on the journey. :)

Focus Cayo Expert (road)
    Giant ATX 970 (full susp)
    Trek Alpha 4300 (hardtail)
    Peugeot 525 Comp (road - turbo trainer duties)
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Got the gilet, unfortunately it's going back because it's far too big. Got the small which is a 34-36" apparently, would say it's more like a baggy 38-40".
  • Pigtail wrote:
    Bought a few of the same things plus:-

Gel Gloves 7.5 too small, 8 a bit tight, but 9 too big so I bought the 8. There wasn't an 8.5 option.

They must have been out of stock of the 8.5 size in your store. I bought three pairs of that size. Cheap and cheerful.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    I thought the gilets were incredibly heavy for something that's only windproof. And the rest was the usual cheap tat. I popped in but didn't buy anything.

Like others have probably said though its decent stuff for commuting.
    More problems but still living....
  • Teach
    Teach Posts: 386
    Just bought the bike rack, it will help with storage in the garage. It looks it will do what is says on the tin. It is intended for use in a room no higher than 4m! How many people have a room or a garage that is 4m tall. I wish I did as it would give me a lot storage than I have now, but wouldn't want to be getting down form a shelf that is 4m high!