Tuna, why so expensive?

freehub
freehub Posts: 4,257
edited March 2011 in The bottom bracket
I've spent 13 quid on 8 cans, I was however supposed to pay £5.38 until I found I got the wrong brand. No sign of gold plating on the tins too.

Comments

• nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    One brand picks out the Dolphin, the other doesn't.
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,853
    Nothing to do with dolphins!

Tuna's dwindling and needs catching in the wild on the other side of the world, processing, canning, shipping to the UK, distributing and retailing. £1.70 a can or whatever is clearly far too cheap.

Enjoy it while you can, or better still stop buying it and maybe it won't be fished to extinction.
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    You can buy it dirt cheap in the Arndale.
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331

Tuna's dwindling and needs catching in the wild on the other side of the world, processing, canning, shipping to the UK, distributing and retailing. £1.70 a can or whatever is clearly far too cheap.

Enjoy it while you can, or better still stop buying it and maybe it won't be fished to extinction.

+1
  • ynyswen24
    ynyswen24 Posts: 703
    PeteMadoc wrote:

+1

+1
  • Weejie54
    Weejie54 Posts: 750
    Tuna's dwindling and needs catching in the wild on the other side of the world,

The Atlantic bluefin is the most sought after. It is fished a little closer than the other side of the world.

http://www.bigmarinefish.com/map_bluefi ... areas.html
  • fleshtuxedo
    Weejie54 wrote:
    Tuna's dwindling and needs catching in the wild on the other side of the world,

The Atlantic bluefin is the most sought after. It is fished a little closer than the other side of the world.

http://www.bigmarinefish.com/map_bluefi ... areas.html

Whether it's from 3,000 miles or 10,000 miles away isn't really the point, but most tinned tuna is skipjack and yellowfin from the Pacific and Indian Oceans.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuna
  • Weejie54
    Whether it's from 3,000 miles or 10,000 miles away isn't really the point, but most tinned tuna is skipjack and yellowfin from the Pacific and Indian Oceans.

That's because there's so few bluefin left to bung in cans. I think the point is that tuna stocks are dwinding. It wasn't me who suggested that it needs to be caught on the other side of the world. BTW, most tinned tuna is skipjack. Your wiki link only mentions yellowfin in the context of Australian consumption (though yellowfin end up being caught alongside the skipjack) - and the UK is with the US in being the largest consumers of tinned tuna.
    The vast majority of tinned tuna is skipjack tuna which are in better shape than most other tuna species, but they are mostly caught using purse seines and fish aggregation devices (FADs). This method threatens bigeye and yellowfin tuna stocks because juveniles of these species are caught as bycatch.

http://www.ethicalconsumer.org/FreeBuye ... dtuna.aspx
  • Mad Roadie
    Mad Roadie Posts: 710
    stop eating all endangered species - become a Veggie!
  • Weejie54

What if you have a penchant for lady's slipper orchid butties?
  • DIESELDOG
    DIESELDOG Posts: 2,087
    Mad Roadie wrote:

So I guess that rules out my panda pie then?

Love n hugs

DD
    Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

www.onemanandhisbike.co.uk
  • Homer J
    Homer J Posts: 920
    Why don't they put the dolphins in a tin? Probably good protein.
  • Ollieda
    Ollieda Posts: 1,010
    Homer J wrote:
    Why don't they put the dolphins in a tin? Probably good protein.

There was a poster for tinned dolphin in the background of a futurama episode once, tagline was "Dolphin - Contains No Tuna!"
  • Ollieda
    Ollieda Posts: 1,010
    Oh and will if your still looking for cheap tuna they were 3 tins for £1 in poundland (although you have to pick the odd bone or two out!)
  • Mad Roadie wrote:

I gave up eating tuna and started putting Vegetarians in my sarnies.

When the tree huggers complain they are getting low in numbers I'm going hunting Moby with a seal club. face-of-ebil-eyebrowraise-2.gif
  • ALaPlage
    ALaPlage Posts: 732
    Iceland (The Food Shop) have Princes Tuna 4 pack tins on at £3 - best price I have seen for a decent brand.
    Trek Madone 5.9
    Kinesis Crosslight T4
  • Tescies and Asda often do 2 x 4 Packs for the price of one, or the £3 for 4 tin deals.
  • freehub
    Ollieda wrote:
    Oh and will if your still looking for cheap tuna they were 3 tins for £1 in poundland (although you have to pick the odd bone or two out!)

Last time I ate cheap tuna like that I was also picking kidney like pieces and these orange wormy bits out of it too, took me about 30mins to pick the edible tuna out.

I'm surprised to find a tin of tuna has like 35g of protein in, maybe I'll make a protein shake and whack a tin of tuna into the blender with some milk :lol:
  • neilo23
    neilo23 Posts: 783
    I can't understand why people still eat tuna when everyone knows that's it's almost extinct.
  • CyclingBantam
    CyclingBantam Posts: 1,299
    Because they don't care. It doesn't directly affect them now so it can be someone elses problem. Social responsibility doesn't seem to be something that is even considered today (I'm not neceserraly implying it was previously).
  • LittleB0b
    LittleB0b Posts: 416
    For those intrested there is a list of good v bad fish here: Sustainable Seafood Guide (pdf)

However the problem with tuna is that apart from being endangered it's also high in heavy metals like lead - so much so that there a guideline that pregnant women are supposed to eat. So 2 reasons to stay away
  • freehub
    If people did not eat the current stocks of tuna in tins tho then it'd go to waste anyway.

I should not really moan about the price of tuna anyway, for the price I pay I bet there is more fish in it than if I went and bought the equivalent value of a different type of fish, or meat.
  • Weejie54
    If people did not eat the current stocks of tuna in tins tho then it'd go to waste anyway.

Not really the way it works, though, is it?

Hmm....Tuna's selling well, better order some more...
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    freehub wrote:

I should not really moan about the price of tuna anyway, for the price I pay I bet there is more fish in it than if I went and bought the equivalent value of a different type of fish, or meat.

That's a bit of a ridiculous way to think, if Asda sold Panda meat would you think "ah well, it's dead anyway, better not waste it!"?

Acc to Greenpeace, Sainsbury's (basics or other range) tinned tuna is all pole and line caught and is possibly the most environmentally friendly bramd in the UK and Prince's brand is the worst.

Boycott Prince's, they trawl using Fish Aggregation Devices (FADs) which are essentially enormous nets which sweep miles of sea completely clear of any life whatsoever, the catch is then hauled aboard a ship and everything except tuna is thrown back dead...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • if Asda sold Panda meat would you think "ah well, it's dead anyway, better not waste it!"?

If it was on sale or decent value then yes, I'm going to hell anyway so nothing cute or fluffy is safe from me. :D

Except Meerkats, I think they are awesome. nod.gif
  • DIESELDOG
    freehub wrote:
    I've spent 13 quid on 8 cans, I was however supposed to pay £5.38 until I found I got the wrong brand. No sign of gold plating on the tins too.

Why so expensive?

Because it's nice, everything nice is expensive

You only have to look at the price of fags and vodka to work that one out.

Love n hugs

DD

• Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    if Asda sold Panda meat would you think "ah well, it's dead anyway, better not waste it!"?

If it was on sale or decent value then yes, I'm going to hell anyway so nothing cute or fluffy is safe from me. :D

I wasn't saying that you shouldn't eat "cute" animals, I was using the Panda as an example of something very rare in its natural environment and that buying something simply because it is available is instantly creating a market and an incentive to kill more of whatever it is...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • DIESELDOG
    if Asda sold Panda meat would you think "ah well, it's dead anyway, better not waste it!"?

I wasn't saying that you shouldn't eat "cute" animals, I was using the Panda as an example of something very rare in its natural environment and that buying something simply because it is available is instantly creating a market and an incentive to kill more of whatever it is...

It was my panda pie that did it.

Another one bites the dust..

Love n hugs

DD

• fleshtuxedo
    freehub wrote:

It's not philosophy you're studying, is it?
  • freehub
    DIESELDOG wrote:
    freehub wrote:

Why so expensive?

Because it's nice, everything nice is expensive

You only have to look at the price of fags and vodka to work that one out.

Love n hugs

DD

vodka is the most disgusting thing I've tasted, and most people don't like the taste of it, that's why they mix it with stuff.