What type of top to keep warm?

Retroman10
Retroman10 Posts: 30
edited March 2011 in Road beginners
Hi all,

Basically its still pretty chilly outside so I'm looking to get a top to keep warm.

Unfortunately I love to sweat and I mean SWEAT!

So what kinda top would I be best getting. I thought about a gilet and using my arm warmers but no idea if this is the best option.

Would I be better perhaps getting a jacket from something like Gore that would hopefully keep me warm yet dry.

Basically I just need to know what people would recommend as to get a decent one I'll have to fork out £50-100 and I don't wanna end up regretting my choice.

Any help appreciated.
:)

Comments

• Zendog1
    Zendog1 Posts: 816
    I'd try a windstopper (pertex or similar) first. Much more breathable and a lot cheaper than Gore Tex.
  • Berk Bonebonce
    Berk Bonebonce Posts: 1,245
    Outer layer has got to be a windproof one, like Gore Tex Windstopper or equivalent. Do not worry too much about the warm factorwith the outer layer - get warmth buy using a Thermolite or similar mid-layer.
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    As it warms a bit an Assos Intermediate evo would do you proud.
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    As it warms a bit an Assos Intermediate evo would do you proud.
  • I've ordered myself an Endura gilet wind stopper. I'll just through it on over my other layers and then use my arm warmers. Hopefully this will mean its a bit more comfortable when I'm out cycling. :D
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,436
    i find layers work better than a single top, easier to adjust to conditions/exertion

mesh wicking base layer, the brynje super thermo ones are excellent if you can get hold of one, castelli mesh is ok too

long sleeved jersey with full length zip

lightweight windproof shell

as you warm up, unzip shell, then unzip jersey, if necessary remove shell (style-crime caution: do not remove jersey :-)
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    There's no one top that will suit all the weather we get here. Winter calls for a jacket. Warmer spring and autumn days you may need a gilet over a long sleeve top.
    There's plenty of kit out there and sometimes the differences are more price than performance.

My Rapha soft-shell is nice but I'd say my aldi jacket does the same trick but just looks more 'pro'. That said it's black so tres cool but crap idea for murky winter days. My fluo aldi is better in that way.

Get a decent base layer and a choice of kit on top of that. I'd be leaning towards a gilet rather than a jacket if I was buying now.
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    Retroman10 wrote:
    Hi all,

Basically its still pretty chilly outside so I'm looking to get a top to keep warm.

Unfortunately I love to sweat and I mean SWEAT!

I am also a sweaty beast.

This time of year I use windproof tops like an Assos Intermediate or Assos 851 with a gilet as well. Under I would have a base layer.

When it warms up a bit I would have a SS jersey, a base layer, windstopper arm warmers and a gilet. Add a coat and leg warmers and this will do for a wide range of conditions.

The advantage of arm warmers + a gilet over a single piece of clothing is that there is a better opportunity for under arm heat to escape plus they can be removed if it warms up.
  • Cheers for all the responses I got guys.

My Gilet has been dispatched so hopefully I'll be out in it over the next few days.

I've got a couple of base layers and some cheap cycle tops from decathlon so all in all I should be good to go.

Roll on the warmer weather :D