Want to commute but need to change tyres?

KimbobSquareWheels
edited March 2011 in Road beginners
Hi Guys,

With the better weather on it's way I am planning on cycling to work - something which I have never done!

The issue is I have a mountain bike so mountain bike tyres - they say psycho II on them if that makes a difference. I know mountain bike tyres will be better grip wise off road etc. therefore I need to buy some suitable for the road on the commute and wondered if anyone can tell me what to go for?

The route is main road and I'm bamboozled by slick, semi slick amongst other things.

Hope you can help :D

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    If sticking to road with no offroad, then slicks. If using road and some paths / trails then semi-slicks are a good compromise.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • robklancs
    robklancs Posts: 498
    id recomend schwalbe city jets, 15 quid a pair in places, did a jogle on them on my mountain bike, 1.5 width
  • Hmmm Semi slicks sound safer :lol: Had a bad fall once before on road on standard MTB tyres, wasn't pretty :oops: :(
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    robklancs wrote:
    id recomend schwalbe city jets, 15 quid a pair in places, did a jogle on them on my mountain bike, 1.5 width

+ 1

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=24629
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    Hmmm Semi slicks sound safer :lol: Had a bad fall once before on road on standard MTB tyres, wasn't pretty :oops: :(

On road, slicks have better grip than anthing due to more rubber being in contact with the road surface. You only need a treaded tyre to dig in to soft surfaces
  • tarbot18
    tarbot18 Posts: 531
    i can highly recommend continental travel contacts they have a kevlar band and slick in the centre , i went from a puncture a week to 1 in 9 months , they are expensive at £30 a pop but amazing tyres for a mtb.
    The family that rides together stays together !

Boardman Comp 29er 2013

Whyte T129s 2014 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12965414&p=18823801&hilit=whyte+t129s#p18823801

Road Scott speedster s50 2011
  • wombar
    wombar Posts: 119
    Would have to be Continental Travel Contacts for me as well. Fantastic tyres that appear to be pretty much bomb proof.

They're £22 each at Halfords (basically the same as CRC, Wiggle) but you might get a free inner tube with each tyre (not sure if Continental are still doing this). Would be worth calling your local store to see, but that saves having to buy spares. You may need new inner tubes anyway depending on what you have at the moment.
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    (Like you I had Psyco II's that were very old)

I put schwalbe, can't remember which, semi slicks on my old MTB.

Much faster.

Not fast enough!

Ended up buying a road bike and a new MTB!
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    Another vote for Continental Travel Contacts. Fast, tough, puncture proof. They're also fine for limited offroad use (dry hardpack, not too rocky, sort of thing).
  • Phate
    Phate Posts: 121
    Just beware that the increase in speed from moving to slicks will end up with you buying a roadbike inside 6 months!
    exercise.png