When can i put my shiny new wheels on?

Im Bald Ok
Im Bald Ok Posts: 146
edited March 2011 in Road beginners
I started cycling at the end of last year and will be riding the same bike all year round. I clean it when i feel it needs it. (after every ride back in Jan :cry: ).
I've just bought myself a decent wheelset for nicer weather and was wondering when the right time was to stick them on my bike paired with some summer rubber.
Do i simply need to wait until the road salt/mud has completely disappeared?

When do you change bikes/wheelsets/to summer tires?

Comments

• Now?
    You'll be fine from now onwards.
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • White Line
    White Line Posts: 887
    Whenever it stops snowing. :(
  • Gav888
    Gav888 Posts: 946
    Whenever you feel comfortable, personally im now using my expensive summer bike.
    Cycling never gets any easier, you just go faster - Greg LeMond
  • Im Bald Ok
    Im Bald Ok Posts: 146
    Are there any conditions i shouldn't use them in?
    Will putting a pair of pro race 3 tires on just give me a few punctures in the surrey hills if i put them on now?
  • i would just go for it mate! we arn't mind readers or freakily scary at guessing where punctures occur ;)
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Pro 3 tyres are fine as all-rounders. I use them throughout the year and have the occasional flat; none more than is reasonable. The sun's out. Get your best gear on & use it. No point owning something that you're afraid to use whenever the weather's a bit inclement.
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    can't wait for Time trialing season!!
    It has started. I have done 2 already. Rather slowly though.
    OP. It depends on the condition of the roads round you and the weather. My summer bike has only had one outing so far due to the amount of mud the local farmers keep spreading on the roads. And the cr*p weather most days.
  • John.T wrote:
    can't wait for Time trialing season!!
    It has started. I have done 2 already. Rather slowly though.
    OP. It depends on the condition of the roads round you and the weather. My summer bike has only had one outing so far due to the amount of mud the local farmers keep spreading on the roads. And the cr*p weather most days.

@ John, TT Season starts at April 14th for me :)
    only been one so far and it wasnt a Club one it was a open TT but i didnt do that.
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.