A Weighty Issue

Uggi
Uggi Posts: 24
edited March 2011 in Road beginners
Ok looking for some guidance here.

I currently have a Allez (entry Level) bought last year and covered 800 miles (bloody love it). Havent ridden it for a few months currently on my turbo traininer in the shed. Now looking to upgrade (depednding on negotiations with Wife to a Van Nicholas Euros). Problem is im a fatty not just a couple of pounds over weight a lot. I havent been out for months. Put on lots of punds over the winter (Im 20 stone), question is can i still ride a bike still and what wheels will i need.

So really looking for two bits of advice. Wheels for the very heavy rider. Secondly the Van Nicholas any opinions on the bike.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I'd get rid of the weight and use the van nic as an incentive.

Get rid of the weight not just for cycling reasons but also your health.

Wheels wise I'd get some 36 spoke rear, 32 spoke fronts built up.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    The Euros is great love mine 8) and as NapD says get some handbuilts.
  • chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 358
    I'm a touch lighter than you but 3 months ago was 2stone heavier.

In terms of wheels anything reasonably strong will be fine on the front but it's the rear you have to be careful with.

I have a handbuilt 105 hub on open proCd rim with 32 DB spokes. Cost me about £150 and whilst it does flex the extra spokes hold it true you just need to keep an extra special close eye on things.

I have a second bike that has a set of prolite como's on them which are sub £100 a pair and the rear seems to be okay but does need the odd adjustment here and there to keep it true.

Once you are getting out and about though with your fitness up to 30+ mile rides, and eating sensibly you will find yourself shedding lb's like you wouldnt beleive and once you get sub 18st you can pretty much choose your wheels with little worry as most seem to has weight limits around 110kg.
    FCN 7

FCN 4

if you use irrational measures to measure me, expect me to behave irrationally to measure up
  • Frame will be fine, as others have said get some decent handbuilts - good luck.
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • Erudin
    Erudin Posts: 136
    edited March 2011
    I put a handbuilt rear wheel Sputnik rim/LX hub from Spa Cycles wheel on my winter/audax/light tourer bike, it's a 36 spoke touring wheel, got 28c tyres on it, the mtb hub is a bit wider than a road hub (needs a frame that can accommodate) so the wheel has a bit less dish. If you are running less than 28c tyres I'd use a Chrina rim.

Spa build a good wheel, nicely tensioned, they do a range of rim/hub combinations (eg. rear 105 hub/36h Chrina rim for £115,£191 for a pair). Spa's standard build is 100kgf, so on the rear thats 120 driveside, and 80 non-driveside.
  • Uggi
    appreciate comments, did i add i am booked to do the Etape Caledonia in May. Going to get a set of hand builts made and put them on my Allez for the first couple of months and hopefully then the Van Nicohlas can be ordered and transfer the handbuiltswheels.

So where do I get handuilts, im based in Essex. Im guessing any good LBS can build them?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Yep.

Or have a look at the Ambrosio Excellight Clinchers from here -

http://www.wheelsmith.co.uk/wheelprices.htm
  • Uggi
    Flasher

Hi where did you get your Van Nicholas? Not many distributors my way. Ironically looks like I could get the bike from FatBirds. Who will also build and fit the hanbuilt wheels on Ambrosio hubs.

Dam those Van Nics look good. Will put a seperate thread up to get opinion on the bike choice just to see if any negative comments out there. As from what I see everyone who has one raves about them.

Being cheeky now but any advice on first sportives. Have done the London to Southend (3hrs 16 mins I didnt think was to bad) and London to Cambridge charity rides.