Ibis Mojo HD

lawman
lawman Posts: 6,868
edited February 2015 in Your mountain bikes
so i finally figured it was time to outline the build on my new project and provide photos etc :lol:

had narrowed it down to 2 bikes late last year, the whyte 146 and a standard mojo, rode both at BRL last year, mojo looked great but the whyte slightly edged it in ride terms, then a quick browse on the ibis site revealed the HD140, and hey presto, problem solved :D the fantastic looks of the mojo with the geometry and stiffness of the whyte, and as many others have found, trying to get a 146 is pretty much impossible atm

so ive settled on the HD140 in medium in matte grey/clear carbon

quick spec overview:
2011 Fox 32 Float rlc 150 QR15 (with custom lime green decals)
FSA gravity tapered headset
Gunsmoke Hope Pro2's with dt super comp spokes, stans crest rims (also with custom lime green decals)
shimano XT 10 speed dynasis drivetrain, with 38/24 TA chainrings and KMC X10 sl gold chain
white clarks gear outers
KCNC fly ride 80mm stem and 710mm SC wing bar
limited edition Hope tech X2 brakes in black and green with 180/160mm superstar rotors
black ODI troy lee grips nukeproof warhead seatpost
Fizik Gobi XM saddle

DSCF4227.jpg

DSCF4226.jpg

DSCF4225.jpg

DSCF4232.jpg

DSCF4229.jpg

DSCF4230.jpg

Comments

• Where have you bought the black and green Hope X2??

I like them!!! (want :D )
    Liteville MK8
  • That does look like it's going to be superb.

Got an ETA on the frame yet?
  • lawman
    thanks for the comments guys :)
    Where have you bought the black and green Hope X2??

I like them!!! (want )

brakes were bough from merlin cycles, very good service, and with their current deals on, got them for a very good price, couldnt be happier with them, they even came with a full Ti bolt kit, and that combined with the fantastic new colours is fantastic :D
    That does look like it's going to be superb.

Got an ETA on the frame yet?

not a freaking clue on ETA tbh cwnt, i inquired to 2pure (distributor of ibis in the uk) around christmas time, when i still worked in the LBS and they said no problem, next time one of the reps is around he can sort it all out for you .... its now getting on for march and i havent heard anything since, but since the shop got cleaned out by theiving barstewards, ive not been working, and the owners have been sorting out all the insurance and their other business, as we've had shut up shop bike wise, but hopefully it should get sorted soon, if not ill just have to accept im gonna have to pay abit more and get it from somewhere else. i emailed biketart the other night and they say delivery is direct from ibis, as 2pure dont hold stock in the uk and it normally takes 2-3 weeks, so hopefully by the end of march it should be done :D
  • lawman
    just heard back from biketart, apparently these are "special order" direct from Ibis US, so it takes 3-4 weeks to deliver from order :roll: on a slight plus side to this, hopefully we should have decent weather by then :lol:
  • lawman
    ok so quick update on the frame situation, seems to be difficult to get hold of one of these buggers through the LBS where i used to work, been ages waiting and i just want this done now, so i've emailed a place with my size in stock and hopefully, i should be placing my order sometime this week :D sure it'll cost me abit more, but seeing as im of to uni in september, i'll just add what ive taken from my savings to my loan :lol:

also still waiting on a few little bits and bobs, should be picking up the wheels, chainrings and chain on tuesday, and i'll order the rotors tonight, then hopefully the 5 months of waiting will be over and i can this bugger built!! :lol:
  • lawman
    ok folks, frame arrived today and if i dont say so myself, damn it looks good :lol:

DSCF4237.jpg

DSCF4245.jpg

DSCF4240.jpg

DSCF4242.jpg

DSCF4241.jpg

DSCF4238.jpg

DSCF4239.jpg

DSCF4244.jpg

DSCF4243.jpg

DSCF4247.jpg

DSCF4246.jpg

got a few bits and pieces to get it up and running, rotors and 38t ring and bolts, and im picking up the wheels and a few other things tomorrow, so ill put the headset in tomorrow and have a go at setting the tubeless stuff up i think :D

for those who might be interested btw, the frame weighs 2.83Kg for a medium without the maxle lite, but does include chainstay protecter and seat clamp, should come out around 25lbs ish hopefully :D
  • lawman
    sorry for the huge pics and my poor camera skills btw :lol:
  • max丨mo
    max丨mo Posts: 177
    Absolutely stunning mate, dead excited to see this built up.

I must admit, I wondered if you would ever decide on a frame for the past several months! Well done on holding out for the best :D
  • lawman
    Max|mo wrote:
    Absolutely stunning mate, dead excited to see this built up.

I must admit, I wondered if you would ever decide on a frame for the past several months! Well done on holding out for the best :D

i've always liked the mojo, ive ridden the standard one a fair few times, and i loved it, and the HD is alot stiffer and barely any heavier than the mojo, about half a pound. ive only had the frame a few hours and i love it already, canny wait to get it built up, shame it wasnt ready for cannock tonight :lol:
  • Om nom nom nom!

SO much nicer than the 146!

Early contender for BOTY!
  • lawman
    Om nom nom nom!

SO much nicer than the 146!

Early contender for BOTY!

Thanks cat man :D high praise indeed from a former BOTY winner!!! looking at the HD, I'm wondering why I even considered the 146, I mean yer I could have possibly got a works, but there is no contest at all looks wise, this beats pretty much any other bike on the Market IMO.
  • Gazlar
    Gazlar Posts: 8,084
    Pah looks rubbish, anyone can ride something carbon and light and bouncy [/jealousmode]

It does look absolutely fantastic
    Mountain biking is like sex.......more fun when someone else is getting hurt
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • Holyzeus
    Holyzeus Posts: 354
    As Clarkson would say, i'm nursing a semi......
    Nicolai CC
  • sheepsteeth
    sheepsteeth Posts: 17,418
    those are definately the best looking frame in my book.
  • Eranu
    Eranu Posts: 712
    Love it.
    those are definitely the best looking frame in my book.

+1
  • this will be such a nice bike
    I assume this is French petrol - be careful in reverse - the car will retreat rapidly at the least provocation.
  • Looks rather sexual. Cant wait to see the full build.
  • That looks stunning. I hope you're building it up right now!
  • That looks stunning. I hope you're building it up right now!
  • Dick Scruttock
    Dick Scruttock Posts: 2,533
    Looks beautiful. Cannot wait to see it all built up. One question though, how come you have gone for a none tapered fork?

After reading the reviews of the Whyte 146 in some of this months mags i think you have made the right decision.
  • lawman
    Looks beautiful. Cannot wait to see it all built up. One question though, how come you have gone for a none tapered fork?

After reading the reviews of the Whyte 146 in some of this months mags i think you have made the right decision.

thansk rick, i went for the non tapered fork because a) there was a deal on at mojo at the time i bought them, and i saved abit of money going for non tapered forks and b) i might see how i can adjust it with an angleset at some point if i see the need to, or if i want to change it up abit, so i thought'd keep my options open with the straight steerer :)

should be built up prettty damn soon, still waiting to order rotors, pedals and grips, and i need a 12mm conversion for the pro2's, which speaking of the devil i picked up barely an hour ago :lol: piccies to follow shortly :D
  • booyaka
    booyaka Posts: 263
    amazing looking frame
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Why fox 32s, rather than 36s?
  • Man that frame looks extremely lovely! The carbon looks lovely, especially with the grey bits on the swingarm!

Man alive, i'm jealous.
  • lawman
    Why fox 32s, rather than 36s?

fox dont make a 150mm 36, i dont really need the extra stiffness of the 36 cos im only 11 stone, and the 32's are plenty stiff enough, this is being built as a light weight all rounder, the standard HD is for burlier riding, so they'd be over kill for me, and they're also more expensive and heavier.

quick pics of the wheels:

Picture001.jpg

Picture003.jpg

Picture002.jpg

weighed in at bang on 1550g for the pair, which im mega pleased with :D (incase you havent guessed, im watching the weights quite carefully :lol: )
  • Anonymous
    ah, I see. I hadn't realised the standard mojo was the tougher one.
    Very jealous of this build though :cry:
  • Anonymous
    Looks ace, I'm hoping to get on of these in July.

Just one question, how come you went for the HD over the SL?
  • lawman
    RichardSwt wrote:
    Looks ace, I'm hoping to get on of these in July.

Just one question, how come you went for the HD over the SL?

it looks great doesnt it :D i rode the sl at bikeradar live, and there it was great, but the medium felt a tad short and the rear end is quite flexy. the HD is 20mm longer in toptube and perfectly matches my maxlight, so it should fit like a glove :)
    ah, I see. I hadn't realised the standard mojo was the tougher one.
    Very jealous of this build though :cry:

they dont make the standard mojo anymore, only the sl, and the 2 HD varients, the HD140 replaces the standard mojo according to the ibis site
  • Anonymous
    Just looked at the site, and the hd140 is identical to the HD, apart from shock length, and shock mounting bracket.
    If I ever got one of these, I'd be sure to stick a 36 on it :D