Youth bikes

BMX Bear
BMX Bear Posts: 198
edited March 2011 in Road beginners
Guys,

Does anyone have any experience of youth bikes, what options do I have in terms of manufacturers.

I'm looking for something for my 9 year old son.

cheers,
www.icenivelo.co.uk - Norfolks most inclusive cycling club

Comments

• apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    You will be told Islabikes, Islabikes, Islabikes, Dawes Espoir 3000 or Islabikes.

See the Islabikes website - although they arent cheap! The resale value is fantastic though, so if you can afford the initial outlay they may actually prove extremely cheap to run over time.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    apreading wrote:
    You will be told Islabikes, Islabikes, Islabikes, Dawes Espoir 3000 or Islabikes.

See the Islabikes website - although they arent cheap! The resale value is fantastic though, so if you can afford the initial outlay they may actually prove extremely cheap to run over time.
    In addition to the above I would recommend Islabikes :wink:
  • BMX Bear
    He's already on an Isla... :D

I was just looking for something a bit more road specific.

Guess we'll stick with the Isla
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Aapje wrote:
    The Godleys one (it's a Felt) looks nice (at £500), the Amazon one weighs 15kg :shock: , the Btwin doesn't even give a weight but it's cheap.

I've never actually got my hands on one of the Isla road bikes but I'm sold on their bikes in general after getting Bompette a Beinn 24 last year: mostly because it's so well designed for kids, well made too, and light.
    The Luath (Isla road bike) is quite pricey (£400) but I bet it's good.
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    Was talking about the same with my mate for his son, Pro-Lite:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=34163
  • BMX Bear
    Interesting to see some other options though some are a bit questionable.

They appear to have adult sized bars on them :shock:

I think an Isla Luath is a better bet, 700c wheels so proper tyre choice and upgradeable as well.

He's currently on an Isla Beinn 26, I might look at fitting dropped bars to that.

Thanks for the suggestions.
    cheers,
  • jejv
    jejv Posts: 566
    A small-framed hybrid might work, even with big wheels. How tall is your son ?

9YO is "Youth D" - racing gear limit is 5.40m rollout: 43-17 on 23-622mm tyres.
    Maybe 42-15 on 559 rims.

I don't know anyone who makes them. Ms Isla Rowntree seems to pay scant regard for gearing rules for youth bikes. Or why there are gearing limits for youth bikes. In spite of her racing past.

Built our 14YO a Rbble "Ultralite" with 46x14 top gear. I think that would be the highest possible gear combination withiin the 6.93m "Youth A" rollout restriction, with 23mm tyres. That was with a stronglight impact triple, and 14-25 at the back.

Our 10YO is on 42-13 with 28-622 tyres - couldn't race on that until he's 12.