Flat Rental.. (any estate agents out there?)

The Northern Monkey
The Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
edited March 2011 in The hub
My flat tenancy agreement is up in around 3 months, is it too early to start contacting estate agents?

Got any tips? I know my budget and the areas I want to live, but I don't want to start pestering estate agents if its too early.

But then again, I don't want to miss out on a nice flat.

I hate searching for flats, when I got this place I literally had 2 weekends to find somewhere so I need to find a more permanent abode thats more suited to me and all my bike stuff.

Comments

• welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    where you looking to go mate?
  • hummmm..not sure lol... anywhere on the way up to Caerphilly, but I want to move out of the city centre.
    But I need good links to both central and Ystrad.

Spotted a flat in Lisvane within budget... same as i'm paying now, only its a 1 bed house with a garage and back garden lol.
    No brainer really!

Just a shame as it'll be well gone before I want to move :(

I'm new to the whole flat thing, my flat is more student diggs atm, it was the only thing available in the time I had when I moved though :(
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Start looking. Often the notice period is two months, so advertised flats may only be available two or three months down the line.
    I know I just stuffed up big time and ended up taking what I could get at the last minute.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ahh ok... most of the stuff round here says "available now" etc etc which puts me off.. Wales/Cardiff have a different way of flat renting that i'm used to.

Basically I find that estate agents here aren't bothered with helping you unless you can move in within a few days :?

I'll fire off a few emails tomorrow and see if I can pop in anywhere a the weekend.
  • ol\'gregg
    ol\'gregg Posts: 612
    i've been living in cardiff for a few years now and there's always places to rent on gumtree. If you can get a private landlord i'd say that would be better as the agents round here are simply that and you have to contact them to contact the owner should you need repairs. i've always rented from private landlords since being in cardiff and i find it better to deal with the main man so to speak.
    also alot of the ones when i was looking were advertised as available now but usually allow a month if you're interested or they are actually people in the same position as you and are coming to the end of their contract and the landlord is advertising now.
    gochel chan ddynion i mewn blew beisiau achos hwy cadernid bod eirth
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    hummmm..not sure lol... anywhere on the way up to Caerphilly, but I want to move out of the city centre.
    But I need good links to both central and Ystrad.

Spotted a flat in Lisvane within budget... same as i'm paying now, only its a 1 bed house with a garage and back garden lol.
    No brainer really!

Just a shame as it'll be well gone before I want to move :(

I'm new to the whole flat thing, my flat is more student diggs atm, it was the only thing available in the time I had when I moved though :(

ask james if he's got a spare room you can rent :wink::lol:

but yeah, somewhere like lisvane or thornhill would be better for you. they have railway stations and you're still only a 10-15 min drive from the centre (unless it's rush hour :lol: )