Solving the problem of a dusty garage floor

x8swift9x
x8swift9x Posts: 268
edited March 2011 in The bottom bracket
I have a (very dusty) concrete floor in my garage, endless amounts of sweeping is driving me nuts so I want to sort it out for good.

Does heavy duty garage floor paint do the trick of locking in the dust? Lots of forum posts I've stumbled across suggest epoxy paint - which seems to give a showroom finish, at more than triple the price. Someone help me out here?!
Road: Felt AR0, Di2
Touring/commute: Dolan Multricross
TT: PX Exocet Sold because it was like a sail in the wind (sh*t)

Comments

• tebbit
    tebbit Posts: 604
    Years ago we used to use Sealocrete products, you can use water based products effectively, epoxy products can give off fumes which is not good for use in an integral garage.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    I gave mine a good sweep, then a hoover then painted 2 coats of garage floor paint from B&Q and it worked a treat.

I also had a decent sectional garage door fitted which seals all round ( done to stop a draft coming into the house in the winter and increase security) and that has made a big difference as dust was blowing under the bottom of the crappy old metal door I had before.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    I gave mine a good sweep, then a hoover then painted 2 coats of garage floor paint from B&Q and it worked a treat.

this.

also try a couple of coats of watered down pva (v. cheap) before painting to create a good seal.
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Our washing machine pipes burst at Christmas. Although it was the last thing we wanted on Christmas Eve Eve, it did get rid of a lot of dust from the garage floor.

So I recommend you have a washing machine plumbed into the garage by cowboys and sit it out until December.

;)
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    they make concrete sealer for this purpose.
    http://www.feb.uk.com/products/flooring-screeds/febco
    combines with the cement and hardens it so wont come off like paint. very easy to apply like brushing on with a sweeping brush. most likely a lot cheaper than paint.
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    I find a nice bit of shag pile always does the trick.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • brakelever
    brakelever Posts: 158
    work in the decorating supplies trade - decent quality floor paint should do the trick - thin the first coat with white spirit - 10-15 % - couple of coats should do the trick - :lol:
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    mattshrops wrote:

this.

also try a couple of coats of watered down pva (v. cheap) before painting to create a good seal.
    This is perfect advice.
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    Old garage used floor paint. Time consuming and a pain to do but worked on dust.

New garage, i got an end roll of vinyl floor for £15 and had it fitted for £10. Loads better, particularly if you are not putting a car in it but still OK if you do. A friend has done the same and has a car in one side of their double garage and storage, workshop, bikes etc in the other half.

I'm never painting a garage floor again.
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    I've not done it but also been told that giving the internal blockwork a coat of paint mixed with PVA will help to reduce the dust.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • DCowling
    DCowling Posts: 769
    either seal it or use paint,
    we have used Jonstones Heavy duty floor paint on our factory floor and it is standing up to the test of time.
    if you leave it un-sealed it will be allways be dusty as the surface will be constantly scuffed