Whinlatter Challenge

dudemark
dudemark Posts: 34
edited March 2011 in XC and Enduro
Hi Guy's

I want to take the step from riding recreationally to getting involved in some Races/Events.

I'm looking at the Whinlatter Challenge in 2011 but I don't anything about entering events like this.

If anyone could help it would be really appreciated.
Can anyone enter this event or do I need some form of licence?
I known I can enter online for £25 and I'm itching to sign up but would hate to pay up front to find later I'm not eligible.

Have any of you entered this in the past? are their different levels of skilled riders involved?

Any help would be graciously received.

Many thanks in advance
"always does it,
loves doing it"

Comments

• You don't need a licence for this one, but be warned it's one of the hardest "event's" of the season, mainly because it's just after winter when you can't train as hard. It's very hilly.

Where are you based in the country and maybe someone could suggest an event that won't put you off for life.
  • I'm based in Newcastle.

They are doing a half enduro where you only complete one lap. I'm sure it said roughly 15 miles. That's what I was planning on entering with it being my first.

I must admit I've had a few weeks off the bike but managed a lap around inners and the black at glentress a while ago. Is it tougher than that?
    "always does it,
    loves doing it"
  • SiLanc
    SiLanc Posts: 180
    It's tough and very hilly. I would say that if you can go out and ride for around 25 miles in hilly terrain you should be fine. I did the event when I was reasonably fit, but I certainly wasn't doing more than a couple of hours training a week and I finished in the top 50%. It's tough...but only if you're trying to win it...just take your time, keep fuelled up (I'll send some details in reply to your email) and enjoy it.

The year I did it I thought it would be very muddy due to snow but it was bone dry (due to the rocky terrain) and quite warm..despite snow on the peaks. Doing this race in mud tyres when you need a good intermediate...thats pretty tough :)

It's not to be under-estimated...but definitely not to be feared. Just be prepared. I can send you a rough lit of what you'll probably need.
    Lap by lap analysis, videos, photos, race reports and a map of race locations www.xcenduro.co.uk
  • I'll see you there, I'm going to give the half-enduro a blast this time around. It's my local trail centre. Definitely some good climbs around Whinlatter!
  • Jon8a
    Jon8a Posts: 235
    By chance I read this because I'm entered.

If you are based in Newcastle have you considered coming along to ride with www.midaircrisis.co.uk we meet in Holystone. A few of us are entered in this and the numbers growing as more people are persuaded. A few good night rides or sunday rides will be a great help to preparation. You missed out as they rode Whinlatter last Sunday.

A couple of us are quite interested in events (mainly me). We did the Kielder 100 for the first time last year and have entered again. There are a series of races held at kielder run by the trail reavers and the bike place. The first one (the winter warmer is on the 22nd). Also loking to do the crc selkirk marathon and some road stuff.
  • John Moore wrote:
    be warned it's one of the hardest "event's" of the season, mainly because it's just after winter when you can't train as hard. It's very hilly.
    Right. That's it. I'm entering. :D

What's all this about not being able to train because it's winter anyway??! :wink:
  • I've also entered the half marathon, as 2 laps of that place would kill me!
    Washed up Has Been
  • I am entering this with a few mates, i was gonna enter the the full and decide on the day whether the half is enough as not worried about official finish, times etc, i'm curious to know what bikes people are running and what tyres for this event, my rides gonna be a orange patriot 66 so certainly not an xc whippet.
  • SiLanc
    I would recommend a good intermediate such as Specialized Fast Track or Nobby Nic's (Schwalbe). If you have something chunkier then fair enough, you'll just have a bit more grip and a smoother ride but you won't roll as fast. You will find the course drains well and is very shale-y or flinty so something that rolls quick is ideal. I would not bother with mud tyres as the course isn't that muddy (less than 10% I'd say) and you will kick your own arse as I did a couple of years ago when there was snow on the tops and I thought it would be a genius decision-I couldn't have been wronger.

You can read about it here: http://xcenduro.co.uk/racing/races/2009/wc_2009.asp

You'll see people riding all sorts. I've done this on a 34lb Merida Transmission Speed D, then on a Carbon Scott Spark 10 and this year I will be on an On-One Titanium hardtail.

Si
    Lap by lap analysis, videos, photos, race reports and a map of race locations www.xcenduro.co.uk
  • Thanks for the info, great write up on the event too.
    I will run my usual tyres as these have done fine on the few occasions I have rode the standard n&s loops at whinlatter, i feel better about the bike as mines a fair bit lighter than 34lbs.

Could you advise if the water stop point is for filling hydrapacks or giving out bottled water? cheers
  • SiLanc
    They have plastic cups or you can fill up from their huge containers sat on the tables which have taps. So you need a hydropack with a bladder or bottles.
  • HOOFRACE
    HOOFRACE Posts: 7
    Hello
    Guys
    I have entered this one. The 30 mile route. I am stopping in Keswick for the weekend with the family and could do with someone to meet up with on the day. Apparently the course is fast. So it should be good if the weather holds out.
    :)
  • SiLanc
    I can meet up with you if you like as I'll be there on my own.
  • HOOFRACE
    Yes. That would be great. I’m looking to be doing a sub 3 hrs for the 30 route.
    What are you aiming for?
    How can I contact you?
  • SiLanc
    Hi,

I am coming back from a period away from racing and I am working on my fitness and I'm not yet where I want to be. I have no idea where I will finish and I'm also on a brand new bike AND I've gone from full susser to hardtail so....too many unknowns to predict so I'm just out to enjoy it and try as hard as I can and see what happens.

Not sure on last years results ( I had a mechanical which put me out) but based on 2009 results if you do a sub 3 hour time for the challenge then you will finish 1st! What have you based your prediction of a sub 3 hour time on?

I can meet up with you but I think we might be riding at different speeds. Do you have any recent results which might give me an idea of your pace?

In 2009 I finished 172nd, not a great result but I made a poor tyre choice and then suffered for the next 5 hours...it was hell and if you've ever ridden on mud tyres on a dry hilly course you'll know what I'm talking about! Have you ridden Whinlatter before?

Si
  • HOOFRACE
    Hello Si
    The fastest time on last year’s event was a 2.29 by Rob Jebb. Check out the Si entries web site.
    I’m riding a Rock lobster ti hard tale with nobbynics.
    Don’t think I will match that time!
    I do a lot of riding mainly commuting an hour a day all year. And a long ride at the weekend if I can get out.(young kids to look after)
    I’ve been MTBing for a long time and ridden a lot in the lakes but not the Whinlatter course.
    I’m using this as a bit of training for some cycle sportive.(Wrynose or bust.) And also to get back into MTBing a bit more
  • SiLanc
    I think you'll be finishing WAY ahead of me :)

I am having a few last minute jitters about the race (not feeling fit enough) so I haven't commited to it yet. I'll let you know if I'll be there though so we can meet up beforehand for a crack if you like...I can give you some inside info on what the course has been like in recent years.

Si
  • Steve_b77
    Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
    To go sub 3 hours you'll have to be a climbing god, as not only is there alot of it it's also rather steep.

I'm aiming for around 3 3/4 hours this year, providing I have no mechanicals like last year and I'm a bit fitter.

I think it's a reasonable target after coming 21st in the Builth Wells CRC marathon over the 50km loop in just over 3 hours, nowhere near as hilly mind.
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    I've entered the half enduro. Thinking about taking my Spesh Enduro but wondering if my Commencal hardtail would be better suited to the course. What do you reckon?

Listed my bikes in this thread if it helps:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12763159
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • 320DMsport
    320DMsport Posts: 306
    Id take your hardtail, alot of climbing and nothing to tech or rough to warrent a full susser!

But then again the susser will be more comfy.

I'm riding a HT again, last years course was slightly shorter than the year before and you missed the KILLER climb on the second lap!

I did 3hr 29 last year so would like to beat that but if hoofrace gets under 3 hours he is a total beast on a bike!

Robs time of 2hr29 is abit misleading as he is a total machine on a bike!!

Hes won the Fred Whitton the last few years for a reason, total beast and climbing god!

Good luck everyone and hope the weather is ok.

I'm riding there tomorrow so i'll see what the trails are like and conditions.
  • HOOFRACE
    Hello
    Got to set a target to aim for! I belive there are a lot of long forest road climbs.
    Aslo that is based on a clean run!
  • mel d
    mel d Posts: 19
    hi, is the course ridable open all year or is some of the route closed and only open for the race ?
  • 320DMsport
    Hoof fair play to you, i've set a time in my head but im not telling anyone!

Don't be annoyed if you don't get your target as it always says appox 30 miles so you think hmmmm i could do it in x time but without checking my training log the first year was nearer 37 miles! and last year was 34 ish i think, so make sure you have enough water or gels etc for a longer distance than stated.

A mate of mine was gutted it took him 4hr30 but he thought it was 30 miles and had no computer, so he was relieved when i said it was late 30's!

I didn't ride there today so no idea on the trails.

Mel i think the forest is open but not sure what parts as the course uses some of the trail routes but not all, the section that are used will be def closed to the public i would think.
  • 320DMsport
    Mel forgot to add its open all year, just maybe hectic on race day, nearly 500 riders.
  • mel d
    mel d Posts: 19
    cheers, must try it soon :D
  • I'm doing this, so if you pass a Chunk on a Carbon S works HT that can't handle it properly that'll be me so treat me kindly when u pass me! :D
  • 320DMsport
    Now then Tony!

Your faster than you make out heh heh!

You havent been packing meat on weight training?

Maybe see ya Sunday!
  • Not weight training but definatly one or two pounds over weight. Entered this and the Loop now going to use them as training very unfit oh yes. :D

All the gear no idea :wink:
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    I'm now thinking about using my wifes Spesh FSR xc. Just need to try it on for size as it's a small and my bikes are all medium.

You lot seem to be taking this quite serious. Please be polite if I get in your way. I'm just going along for the ride and not worrying about setting a good time.
    definatly one or two pounds over weight
    Don't worry about a couple of pounds, I'm clinically obese according to my BMI. Hills are not my friends, we get on well when going down but sworn enemies going up.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • HOOFRACE
    Hello
    again
    talked to a work college who went up there at the weekend.
    the trials seem to be in good condition. it was a bit slippy on some of the larger rock slabs and there were some exposed roots.
    to be old and wise you first have to be young and stupid