Darley Moor

oxenhoper
oxenhoper Posts: 16
edited March 2011 in Amateur race
Thinking of doing the race there on March 5th....
What's the circuit like? and what can i expect?
Ride a bike.... be happy.

Comments

• amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Windy I believe. Not done any races there myself yet, but gonna do some this year.
    More problems but still living....
  • Yeah not a bad circuit, not a big circuit by any means, maybe 3/4's of a mile. Normally very windy and rains most times i go, good course if your more of a sprinter type. Get the odd crash, especially in the 3/4 race, theres a nasty chicane just before the gallop to the line. As long as you stay in the top ten, you should stay out of trouble, always get the odd idiot though! Its 22 laps i think, normally 50 to 60 riders, dont have to pre enter, as you can pay on the line. Might see you there if your about for the 2nd series, i will be in the velo29 kit, goodluck!
    Up hup hup hup.....fricking hate that!
  • 3Pears
    3Pears Posts: 174
    I sent my entry off yesterday for the 5/3/11 :) It's a nice wide circuit, no dead turn hairpins but as wheeler585 states the chicane does create a bottle neck on the gallop for the line.
    Oxenhopper just go for it, if nothing else it will be good early season training :P
  • Thick Tester
    Thick Tester Posts: 380
    edited February 2011
    Expect to get t boned in the chicane
  • Guess thats you ko'd on the right, looked nasty, you hit the rumble trips?
  • Either that or you have taken a lap out , to have a quick sunbathe! 8)
  • Dug
    Dug Posts: 153
    Early season races at Darley Moor can sometimes attract 100 riders in the 3/4 races.

Why not enter the Sheffrec CC 25 mile 2-up race instead on the same day!

Details here:

http://www.sheffrec-cc.org.uk/time_trials/

2pm start, good prize list, tough early season testing course. Entries to:

Denise Bayliss
    233 Walkley Road
    Sheffield
    S6 2XN

Cheques payable to Sheffrec CC.
  • 3Pears
    3Pears Posts: 174
    The fact that the chicane seems to cause all the problems in the gallop to the finishing line, Is there any reason the finish line isn't on the straight just after the current finish line ?
    Its wide, straight and longer :P
  • Raced there for many years. Crashes usually happen between numpties sprinting for 30th place. Why people with no chance of winning bother sprinting is beyond me.

Darley moor expect wind this time of year
    Racing is life - everything else is just waiting
  • wheeler585 wrote:
    Guess thats you ko'd on the right, looked nasty, you hit the rumble trips?

Twas actually a funny incident. The kermit to the left of the halesowen rider decided to switch half way through the chicane and thus i had two choices, hit him and let the bunch run over me or head for the grassy knoll......

I opted for the latter and the run off took all the speed off before going up the bank and falling off backwards and laughing at the muppetry... Shame as i'd timed everything else to perfection
  • 3Pears wrote:
    The fact that the chicane seems to cause all the problems in the gallop to the finishing line, Is there any reason the finish line isn't on the straight just after the current finish line ?
    Its wide, straight and longer :P

Because the photo-finish gear goes upstairs in the race control building :D
  • Im giving it a go, 1st time on a circuit and not really sure what to expect.. :?

I feel fat and slow, Just looked on google maps and it seems to be a triangle... I hope its all left turns, I never could turn right very well.
  • Jonny Shoe
    Jonny Shoe Posts: 217
    Great race on Saturday and has started my racing career with a bang! Does anyone know of anyone who was taking photos of the 3/4 race, would really like to see some?!
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Jonny Shoe wrote:
    Great race on Saturday and has started my racing career with a bang! Does anyone know of anyone who was taking photos of the 3/4 race, would really like to see some?!

Was it a big field? Bunch sprint? I was supposed to be riding this, but some little scrote stole the lead flashing from my garage roof on Friday night so I had to spend Saturday sorting it out.
    More problems but still living....
  • Jonny Shoe
    99 riders in the 3/4s and not sure about the E/1/2s, so pretty sizeable!
    Many attacks from the gun but wasn't until about 8 laps to go when a group of 7 broke away and seemed to be doing well. 2 riders (including myself) bridged across and the breakaway then stayed away till the finish.
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    Jonny Shoe wrote:
    99 riders in the 3/4s and not sure about the E/1/2s, so pretty sizeable!
    Many attacks from the gun but wasn't until about 8 laps to go when a group of 7 broke away and seemed to be doing well. 2 riders (including myself) bridged across and the breakaway then stayed away till the finish.

Long way from Ipswich to Darley Moor!!

Where did you finish? Presume it was windy and freezin' as always at Darley Moor. :)
  • Jonny Shoe
    Haha, I'm up at University of Sheffield Simon.

Was freezing cold but surprisingly I wouldn't have said it was very breezy considering how open it was. Stopped going through on the back straight and then due to a few first race nerves, after we'd rounded the final corner I kicked there with about 250m to go. Put about 15m between me and the rest of the breakaway quite quickly but faded slightly in the last 50, along with my mind going mental telling me I must be in a dream, being in the lead of my first ever road race, so got pipped on the line by less than a bike length by one other rider (Phil Giles I think) who'd jumped after me. All in all, a near perfect first race experience!