Lanzarote, again

AndyF16
AndyF16 Posts: 506
edited April 2011 in The bottom bracket
Only 6 more sleeps and I'll be there again - only for one week this time unfortunately, perishin' kids 'olidays!

Got my bike organised, if anyone is there 21-25 February and fancies a day's riding then just let me know - I'll probably only use Tuesday and Thursday for all-day rides, gotta keep the family sweet :roll:
2011 Bianchi D2 Cavaria in celeste (of course!)
2011 Enigma Echo 57cm in naked Ti
2009 Orange G2 19" in, erm orange

Comments

• AndyF16
    Had a great time week before last, despite it only being a 54cm (I'm 6'0") i chanced this Cervelo R3 as I wanted to try one and Record gruppo, and it was an excellent choice

R3-1.jpg

There were a LOT more cyclists around than back in October, weather was great and it was good to be back on decent road surfaces

Fantastic ride upto the Mirador del Haria through the hairpins, but the last 100m of road up to Femes beat me I have to admit, ended up walking under the pitying gaze of a Dutch lad I casually rode with for the day :oops: I'll 'ave the bastard next time though :lol:
  • banditvic
    banditvic Posts: 549
    Yes it beat me too. Mind I was on a hevy hire bike,and I was nearly out of water and it was hot and and and :lol: ......................
  • Trinafour
    Trinafour Posts: 36
    I'm off there in 1 week to Costa Teguise got my bike rental organsied and am looking forward and dreading it at same time

It will be nice to get out and cycle without the winter woolies but never cycled abroad will make it interesting.
  • gwillis
    gwillis Posts: 998
    AndyF16 wrote:
    Had a great time week before last, despite it only being a 54cm (I'm 6'0") i chanced this Cervelo R3 as I wanted to try one and Record gruppo, and it was an excellent choice

R3-1.jpg

There were a LOT more cyclists around than back in October, weather was great and it was good to be back on decent road surfaces

Fantastic ride upto the Mirador del Haria through the hairpins, but the last 100m of road up to Femes beat me I have to admit, ended up walking under the pitying gaze of a Dutch lad I casually rode with for the day :oops: I'll 'ave the bastard next time though :lol:

I love that hill , the last bend is a killer . I usually stop at the top and have well earned bottle of water from the cafe along with double espresso.
  • I'm really envious of those who have just been or are about to go. What a great place.

Last February went from Scotland to there, so nice to ride without 3 layers on top. Riding from Mancha Blanca to Yaiza (past the Timanfaya Park) at dusk with a tailwind, my best bike ride ever.

That hill at the west side of Femes is bad right enough.

Have a good trip
  • AndyF16
    Trinafour wrote:
    I'm off there in 1 week to Costa Teguise got my bike rental organsied and am looking forward and dreading it at same time

It will be nice to get out and cycle without the winter woolies but never cycled abroad will make it interesting.

Relax, the roads are empty by comparison with UK and 95% of them are surfaced to a much higher standard too

Car drivers are pretty much all considerate, of course every 3rd car which passes you will be a rental driven by a holidaymaker, but the good roads and lack of traffic mean less aggro

Go and have a fantastic time, do try the Haria to Mirador del Haria climb if you possibly can, first hairpins I've ridden - they're pretty tame but give you delusions of climbing the Stelvio next :lol:
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    gwillis wrote:
    AndyF16 wrote:
    but the last 100m of road up to Femes beat me I have to admit, ended up walking under the pitying gaze of a Dutch lad I casually rode with for the day :oops: I'll 'ave the bastard next time though :lol:

I love that hill , the last bend is a killer . I usually stop at the top and have well earned bottle of water from the cafe along with double espresso.

That cafe has one of the best views (other than the coffee shop at Mirador Del Rio) and does THE best paella on the island.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • gwillis
    gwillis Posts: 998
    Yes lovely spot, also the hill down from national park takes some beating. I did my fastest downhill time ever with the wind behind me overtaking thomson coaches .... Great ride.

The wind in summer is hard work though .
  • Trinafour
    Trinafour Posts: 36
    Had a great time in Lanzarote. The folks at Papagayo bikes sorted me out with a bike.

Did a couple of runs up and around Teguise then went up to Orzola on another day. excellent roads and as AndyF16 said a lot have been or are being resurfaced. Although Naomi in the bike shop did point out that the LZ 204 out of Orzola was only good for going up as it had not been re-surfaced yet.

Had a head wind all the way to Orzola but at least that gave me a tailwind home.

Will def be back and will def be out on a bike exploring more while my wife works on her tan poolside!