Endura Longleat Lionheart sportive

Hi, is anyone else doing this with s#d all miles in their legs?
Attempting the 100miler, 1400m climbing doesn't sound too bad but is the terrain in this area harder in reality than on paper?
All my life I've wanted to be someone; I guess I should have been more specific.

Comments

• I'm doing the 100 miler. It's right on my back door and know the roads well. The route is mainly rolling so a lot of up and down but with nothing really difficult until the last 20-30 miles. Then there are a couple of big climbs the worst being Alfreds Tower which is 25% at the top.

It's a good route and starting and finishing at Longleat will be awesome. Because there are no real big climbs until the end it should be easy enough to keep a biggish group together and then when it hits Alfreds Tower it will be every man for himself!

Have a good one :)
    Winners never quit and quitters never win!!
  • TheBullet
    TheBullet Posts: 58
    Oh yeah, forgot to mention the climb out of Longleat which is in the 1st mile is also quite a tough one!
  • ADIHEAD
    ADIHEAD Posts: 575
    I'm doing it also, entered the 60m but might change my mind on the day. Doing Alfred's tower in the morning actually as not done it for a few months. One of those climbs I just can't do sat down even with 34/27 so out of bounds unless it's dry ish!
  • jackfeeder
    jackfeeder Posts: 269
    Mmm sounds a but trickier than I thought. Haven't done any 20%+ hills for a while - this weekend out as I gave blood on thurs, have to take it easy cycling for a few days.
    Just have to see how I go on the day then - 34/27 on my winter bike as well, let's see if that's enough!
    Event is sold out so should be a good vibe there. Hope the weather holds. :)
    All my life I've wanted to be someone; I guess I should have been more specific.
  • bikeboff
    bikeboff Posts: 87
    In for the 100-miler. Got to start your season at some point - this is it for me. Hoping some other riders might be equally slow at this early point in the year.
  • bikeboff
    jackfeeder - 34/27 sounds like a reasonable combination - what's on your summer bike?
  • ADIHEAD
    Don't get me wrong. Alfred's is fine on 34/27. What I was trying to say was that I haven't done it for a while - even though it's only 12 miles from my house, because I don't fancy it on winter roads. I've done it over 10 times but I always have to stand up, because I'm 6ft 4 I've a high centre of gravity and have trouble keeping weight on the back wheel when standing so have to try to do wet climbs sat down, Alfred's is just over the limit of what I can do sat down :roll:
  • bikeboff
    For me, the sitting down/standing up question is one of gradient, pure and simple. At 7% or 8% I can sit down, 9% is the inflection point, and at 10%+ i'm out of the saddle. No chance at all on a 20% that I'll be sitting down. Not ON my bike, anyway.
  • torico
    torico Posts: 67
    Sounds like everyones in the same boat for this, with not too many miles in the legs I figured its a local ride and i know the roads very well and I know what to expect after 80 miles so have entered the 100 with very little mileage in the bank. Its a lovely route although theres a few changes i would have made not least the section on the A303 however its quite a slow stretch of 40 mile restricted road here and not the nightmare that it could be just a mile away.
    As for the hills, some of the little rises can kick a little but nothing major, Its my local stomping ground and having only 1400 metres in 100 miles its about as flat as can be for round here!
  • torico
    The only other point I would make is that the bulk of the ups and downs are in the last part of the route
    From sutton veny to wilton its very flat and fast once you are around Tisbury, alfreds tower, Bruton and Longleat this is where the hills are so they might be a bit more of a shock at the end of the route. they are not long but can be quite steep
  • torico
    Rode the last section of the 100 mile route yesterday and the roads are in good condtion, there is a bit of dirt on some of the narrower farm tracks particularly going up from stourhead to penselwood, this is one of my favourite sections of woods and is stunning. Bit concerned that there may be alot of pedestrians around the spread eagle pub at the entrance to stourhead as its very busy there over weekends. the climb up alfreds tower is nasty - the road surface is in good condition but the climb is hardcore after 75miles - there is quite alot of debris on the tame descent after alfreds tower and lots of compacted mud - if tis wet we should all end up lookinga s though we ahve done paris roubaix. I like the rough and ready anture of the roads around this part of the course but dont expect immaculate tarmac!
  • jweighell
    jweighell Posts: 30
    Yes, I'm doing this with a few other guys from our club. Will be the first time I'll have done 100 miles!

I saw there were some climbs towards the end, but didn't realise it was 25%!!!

Looking forward to it a lot, should be a good day. See you guys there!

Jonathan
  • GeorgeShaw
    GeorgeShaw Posts: 764
    If Alfred's Tower is wet, your biggest problem will be wheel spin.
  • torico
    the top section of alfred tower ( the steepest ) should be fine as its free from mud and is pretty grippy the lower parts are quite dappled with mud
  • TheBullet
    No need to worry about the wet as Metcheck says Sunday will be sunny:
    http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/day ... ster&day=5
    :D:D:D
  • torico
    as most weather dudes would say ... its a little too early to look at sundays forecast just yet but the omens are looking good for a dry day
  • jackfeeder
    'jackfeeder - 34/27 sounds like a reasonable combination - what's on your summer bike?'

Got a 34/25 on my Massi - can get up most things on that. Extra gear but extra weight on my winter bike - should be ok though. Weather's looking good, looking forward to it now.
  • ADIHEAD
    Did the 60m route this morning :D Great route, roads in poor condition but at least dry. Don't know how I didn't puncture as hit a pothole on one descent that hard that my water bottle fell out of it's cage! Alfred's Tower no problem with 34/28, managed to pull a big gap on my group with that fine combo :wink: Total GPS Endomondo time 3hr 36min, bike computer 3hr 45 so who knows?
  • Did the 100km too.... nice route, only hit a few bumps and a bit of mud! The tower wasnt so bad, managed to sprint over the top.
    Got back in 3hr26, works out at around 3hr20 moving time tho.

Dropped one of our group in the grounds at the start.... however he pulled it back fantastically and was in at 4hr14!

I enjoyed it and would def do it again next year. The extra 40miles on the 100miler looked a little dull tho, 100km was a nice start to the year!
  • TheBullet
    Did the 100mile in 5hrs 30mins. The second half was definitely more interesting but slower with the extra climbing. All-in-all a really well organised event from start to finish. Great communication throughout, awesome venue, plenty of signs and the best welcome at the finish line of any event I'ver ever done.

So, bearing in mind this was the first time the event has been run I think top marks all round.
  • ADIHEAD
    100m in 5 1/2 hours at the start of the season :shock: I can see why they call you 'The Bullet' :lol:
  • Beast719
    Beast719 Posts: 1
    Did the 100km ride. My Garmin tells me 2hrs 42mnis which isn't bad early season. This was one of the best run rides that I have done. It was well signed and the volunteers were incredibly helpful. The finish down the wide avenue towards Longleat House was spectacular.

Longer cable ties for the numbers next time though.
  • jackfeeder
    Really enjoyed that - did the 100mile route - first ride over 40 this year so took it easy'ish. Alfred's Tower was tough tho.
    Great organisation, food stops, location, marshalls, meal etc etc - best event overall I've done so far. Actually felt that I got my money's worth for a change. Loved the finish too.
    Definately be back next year plus a few others.
    This event deserves to grow in stature and numbers - excellent!
    :)
  • I thought I would just have a look at the photos of those with the fastest times on the 100km ride to see what they have that I don't. (it's not possible to work out the fastest 100 milers as clearly some of those registered for the longer route decided to do the shorter route on the day).

Having searched I find that there are no photos of the quickest few. Were they so fast that the camera couldn't catch them or is there another reason?

PS Should have said - an excellent day. Can't fault anything, they even came round with longer ties when they realised the problem. The finish will stick in my mind for a very long time.