Comments

• morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Brand identity is king in 2011.

I'll bet they shift a few units too.
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    Hmmm... mixed feelings...

It doesn't look bad, but it's just a reasonable carbon frame with decent (but certainly not exotic) components. The decals are clumsy and look rather cheap. I'm sure it's a perfectly reasonable bike, but nothing more than that.

However, it's a roadbike that is described as an accessory by it's designer, made by an off-road car company who make the very expensive Evoque.

I suspect it's better described as a plaything that will be bought and then left untouched in the garage. Any serious cyclist who also buys an Evoque (two categories I can only wish to be in!) is likely to already have a proper bike (or indeed several).

Pointless marketing tool? I think so, and it's been done many times before.
  • Kaise
    Kaise Posts: 2,498
    yeah the graphics didnt exactly appeal IMHO but i suppose it all depends on the price they put it at.

i reckon though being along the evoque line, it'll cost a mortgage!
  • shm_uk
    shm_uk Posts: 683
    As a 'concept bike', there doesn't appear to be anything particularly different or ground-breaking about it... other than some reference to F1-derived c/f tech (but isn't this sort of thing already done by 'proper' bike manufacturers already?
  • JD_76
    JD_76 Posts: 236
    Weight is two tons and after 6 months the steering box will go :-p

:D
  • Steve GT
    Steve GT Posts: 383
    Would not be seen dead on a bike that is named after a fcking Chelsea tractor.
    Crediamo in te, bici!
    My Bikes.
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    As soon as I got to "Concept Bike" I lost the will to live and stopped reading. Aimed squarely at luvvies.
  • Ollieda
    Ollieda Posts: 1,010
    Steve GT wrote:
    Would not be seen dead on a bike that is named after a fcking Chelsea tractor.

Thats good because as far as I know there isn't a bike named after Discoverys :wink:

I think the decals are good, it's basically a straight cut from a range rover, if you put the name in squiggly writing it would loose the RR feel to it.

Still prefer the land rover mountain bikes in orange G4 set up!
  • *AL*
    *AL* Posts: 1,185
    I wonder if Overfinch will give it a work over ?
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    meh

would only be worth it for the look on someones face after you've offered them a lift home in your brand new range rover
  • kev77
    kev77 Posts: 433
    alot of other bike manufacturers details going into that frame me thinks.
  • Essex Man
    Essex Man Posts: 283
    It has an "oversized handlebar stem". Pushing the boundaries or what.
  • treusi57
    treusi57 Posts: 11
    Four wheel drive? If so it'll be good for CX. :lol:
    Over the hill & pickin' up speed.
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    I like it, especially because, and I quote, "Design wise, the steering components and frame are color-matched."

I'll have 3. :D
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • solsurf
    solsurf Posts: 489
    JD_76 wrote:
    Weight is two tons and after 6 months the steering box will go :-p

:D

:lol: very true
  • solsurf
    solsurf Posts: 489
    Are there any car makers that actually make bikes?
  • Ollieda
    Ollieda Posts: 1,010
    wonder how many footballers and the like will buy them to match their cars as the "cycling bug" grows
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600

Peugeot. If you can call them cars ........
  • JD_76
    JD_76 Posts: 236
    Yossie wrote:

Peugeot. If you can call them cars ........

No you cant...
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Nap D is gonna be pissed - they havent even put it in the big ring before taking pics.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Pile of rubbish, like their cars.
  • Alain Quay
    Alain Quay Posts: 534
    Yes - I need a Range Rover bicycle to get to those boutique wineries, as well as those steep shopping mall carparks. :lol:

I think it is clever marketing, because let's face it: Range Rovers and bicycles are
    the antithesis of each other. Such a move is mainly about impressions, to make Range Rover more human, as well as progressive. They must have lost a lot of sales in recent years due to the vehicles being regarded as gauche climate killers. This attempts to
    build a bridge. But they also look ok.

Watch out for Range Rover cyclists cutting you up on your cycle commute, whilst on their mobile. :lol:
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    One thing James May said which I agree with is that only Peugeot has any business making bikes. I had a five speed Peugeot as a kid and it was my pride and joy. I recently saw a nice kind of retro racer they did with a brooks saddle and leather bar tape, it looked the part and I'd not be ashamed to be seen on one. Price was reasonable too.

That said I saw a Porsche carbon race bike that was jaw droppingly nice for about 3-4k. BMW does a fairly big range of bikes and they've a least put a bit of thought into the design, but they're stupidly expensive for what you get. Maybe you get a free one with a new X5? I know Kia used to give away free bikes with their people carriers.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • AndyF16
    AndyF16 Posts: 506
    Essex Man wrote:
    It has an "oversized handlebar stem". Pushing the boundaries or what.

:lol: yes but to their target audience that'll sound dead groundbreaking

Don't see the point myself, what next - Cannondale buying cheapish generic motorcars from a far east manufacturer and badging them up? :?
    2011 Bianchi D2 Cavaria in celeste (of course!)
    2011 Enigma Echo 57cm in naked Ti
    2009 Orange G2 19" in, erm orange
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    MAMILs will be queuing up.