Card Fraud - Again

blobbo
blobbo Posts: 16
edited March 2011 in The bottom bracket
Has been a while since I have seen any posts about Bike Shops and Credit Card Fraud, just to let you know it has not gone away. This weekend I spent at 2 of the largest Online retailers, and one large, well known Bike Shop.
Hey presto, 2 dodgy mobile phone top up attempts, and £1400 of I know not what. Hats off to Lloyds Bank fraud systems that picked up on them straight away.
Should not really say who the large online retailers are, but as another forum poster would say "YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED"

Comments

• iplod
    iplod Posts: 83
    +1 for above. Three times in 12 months.
    SOLITUDE. It's not for everyone.

Trek 5.2 madone 2007
    Ribble audax/winter 2010
    Bianchi infinto 2012
  • JohnCleland
    JohnCleland Posts: 172
    Ditto,

once for me last year with them,

I only use Paypal with them now, no problems yet !
  • tx14
    tx14 Posts: 244
    there are many stages that could have gone wrong, just saying it's premature to place the blame.
  • mortozola
    mortozola Posts: 23
    Had a similar phone call today from my credit card provider asking "did I order pizza in the middle of the night"! Turns out they got a few past the system but all being refunded.

Last legitimate transaction was with a large online cycle retailer.
  • blobbo
    blobbo Posts: 16
    It is, of course, very true what tx14 says, but I would be willing to bet the problem lies with one of the 3 companies involved.
    Moral of the story is to only ever use one card on the Internet/Phone, make it a Credit Card so it is someone elses money. Never let your own Debit Card out of your sight.
  • R8JimBob88
    R8JimBob88 Posts: 285
    Just do what I do.

Open a second current account with a debit card. Keep a nil balance in it and only transfer enough money into it when you need to make an online purchase.

Sorted :D
    If you do what you have always done, you will get what you always got....
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    I've investigated large scale carousel frauds to the tune of £123m that all began with simple credit card cloning. If you can identify the compromise point with enough victims, it will help to show which member of staff completed the transaction and hey presto, there's your suspect. If you have the details of the investigating officer make sure you pass on to them that others on here have had the same problem.

With credit cards, common clone points are fuel stations, on line retailers, restaurants and bank staff. If someone appears to swipe your card twice challenge them and don't think chip and pin is safe either. Thieves can insert a device between the reader and the till that will record the numbers you enter. Also watch cash points for what is called the Lebanese loop, which is a device designed to fit inside the card slot that traps your card. Another "customer" will be hovering around to use the cash point after you but really be reading what numbers you punch in. You give up when your card doesn't return and he/she removes the device and your card before going off to spank it to death. A mobile top up card is usually a sign of the card being tested by a buyer/user before going off to buy electrical goods that they sell off cheap to make money.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    If you are all having fraud problems after shopping at Wiggle, just say so instead of being coy. You're not blaming Wiggle specifically but it's good for others to be aware there might be a problem.
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    With Pokerface on this one, at least after using them you can keep an eye on your account for a while. But as others have said the banks in this respect are doing a good job.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    That explains the entry on my credit card bill a year or two back for a Focus Culebro and 10,000 packets of Haribo
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    bompington wrote:
    That explains the entry on my credit card bill a year or two back for a Focus Culebro and 10,000 packets of Haribo

:lol:
    Cycling weakly
  • nax-ian
    nax-ian Posts: 209
    Aye, got done by a game company ( gameseeker) late last year! Silly bastards bought some airline tickets, to get the cash as a refund I expect, an the bank called to ask if we were actually flying to the UK the day before we.REALLY flew to Lisbon!
    Methinks its down to dodgy employees though not the companies.
    Finished
  • Ollieda
    Ollieda Posts: 1,010
    bike websites don't seem to be doing so well with security lately, how long ago has it that ribble had their website "adapted"?
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    I now only ever use Paypal when buying from Wiggle and Chain Reaction and since doing so NOT had any credit fraud issues.
  • Sirius631
    Sirius631 Posts: 991
    +1 for PayPal. Ribble lost a lot of business from me before they got PayPal, but I've used them extensively ever since and have been as happy as Larry.
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Another here who only uses Paypal now.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Must admit I stopped buying last year (?) after the stories - but it seems to have gone away. I've been buying happily for a while now and touch wood - its all OK.

My wifes card has been done twice - but she uses hers for petrol and I very rarely do. So cycling must be a safer option than driving - fraud wise.

May think of paypal next time though !
  • cougie wrote:
    My wifes card has been done twice - but she uses hers for petrol and I very rarely do. So cycling must be a safer option than driving - fraud wise.
    Independent filling stations are really bad for this sort of thing.
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • Just logged onto wiggle and cleared all my card / personal info that they keep.

This will also help with those 'impulse' purchases.
  • zexel
    zexel Posts: 54
    Happened two weeks ago for me. I hadn't used my credit card for months before buying a Garmin 800 with Chain Reaction Cycles.

I keep my credit card clear all the time apart from the odd online purchases which are then paid off straight away so it wasn't too difficult to notice a £980 transaction for HSamuel - Birmingham!

LloydsTSB sorted it straight away. On asking LTSB what I could do to avoid this happening, they said to "be careful when using the credit card"....uhhhh, ok.

Excellent idea from Jimbob. ta for that.
  • R8JimBob88
    zexel wrote:
    Excellent idea from Jimbob. ta for that.

I work in a bank :twisted:

I dont know why most people dont do it. I dont give a monkeys uncle who has my card details this way.
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    have any of you reached your limit with paypal and been asked to link a bank account to you card?

im no money expert but if they want a £3 payment why dont they just say so. i dont want to put in my bank details -theres no link to the card anyway. plus the whole limit thing is rubbish because its getting paid immediately by the card anyway.

anyroad -has anyone done it? is it ok?
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    I have my bank account linked. No issues and sometimes for small amounts I use it to fund instead of CC.

Also needed for withdrawing money from eBay sales etc
  • markmod
    markmod Posts: 501
    edited March 2011
    Just had my debit card account done for £900+, the bank when I called them didn't seem at all surprised. It was the same bank account that was done last year too. My card was never used online, I always cover the number keys with my hands when entering pin (sometimes even I can't see what number I have entered :D )... my last transaction on the account was over a year ago.... Very suspicious, payments were all to online gambling websites. The bank even asked me if I suspected a member of my family!
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    markmod wrote:
    Just had my debit card account done for £900+, the bank when I called them didn't seem at all surprised. It was the same bank account that was done last year too. My card was never used online, I always cover the number keys with my hands when entering pin (sometimes even I can't see what number I have entered :D )... my last transaction on the account was over a year ago.... Very suspicious, payments were all to online gambling websites. The bank even asked me if I suspected a member of my!

my! :?:
  • R8JimBob88
    markmod wrote:
    Just had my debit card account done for £900+, the bank when I called them didn't seem at all surprised. It was the same bank account that was done last year too. My card was never used online, I always cover the number keys with my hands when entering pin (sometimes even I can't see what number I have entered :D )... my last transaction on the account was over a year ago.... Very suspicious, payments were all to online gambling websites. The bank even asked me if I suspected a member of my!

As ive previously mentioned I work in a bank and you'd be surprised how much fraud is done by a member of family! You only need to note the details on the card itself and then you can use then whenever you like.

If you have never used it online, someone must be sneaking through your wallet.
  • markmod
    Family.. Ipad spell check battle! He he...

I only live with my Girlfriend and I trust her totally on this... I know it's not her. The bank has refunded the £900, without a blink and very of matter of factly so.
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    markmod wrote:
    Family.. Ipad spell check battle! He he...

I only live with my Girlfriend and I trust her totally on this... I know it's not her. The bank has refunded the £900, without a blink and very of matter of factly so.

Glad to hear the bank refunded the £900, they do tend to know when the spending patterns are a bit suspicious. One day your buying 2 coffees and an inner tube in Leighton Buzzard, two hours later your trying to withdraw £200 in Mogadishu (or somewhere else). Say what you like about them Bankers, but they really know how to look after your money! :roll:
  • markmod
    It's amazing that they can simply refund the money paid out to these fraudsters, and still make profits in the billions... We all pay for bank fraud in the long run I spose, by higher credit card and banking charges, and the ever falling interest we receive on our accounts.

They would have known it wasn't me taking part on online gambling websites, as I'm the most risk averse person in the world. I don't even do the lottery, and my largest bet on the greyhounds on a recent night out was 50p!! (and that was each way!) :(
  • em_kay
    em_kay Posts: 2
    +1 to OP, bit of a coincidence...

My credit card got done yesterday for 500quid with a canadian airline.

I've only had this new one a couple of weeks since my bank reissued it after lush's website got hacked.

I had ordered some bike parts this week from 3 of the big players, like youself I might switch over to using paypal.

cheers!