Specialized Camber Comp vs 2010 Kona Hei Hei 100

theshabster
theshabster Posts: 28
edited March 2011 in MTB buying advice
Afternoon all - I tried to post here lat week but the forum was locked.

I'm hoping to get back in Mountain biking very soon, & yesterday I placed a deposit down on a Specialized Camber Comp FSR. I couldn't make my mind up for several days between this & the 2010 Kona Hei Hei 100 - Although the Kona has the better spec, the Specialized just felt nicer to ride.

Does anyone have a Camber or a Hei Hei 100?

Hoping I made the right decision - The Specialized turned out to be ~£100 cheaper than the Kona.

Thanks

Comments

• good to see you here aswell, theshabster, hope you enjoy it when it arrives.
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    Nice bike, and good call on choosing ride over specs.

It is easy to swap out a part that bugs you, but hard to change the feel of a bike.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • MBR just gave the Camber 10/10, same as a much better spec'd Ghost, purely on the ride - so yes, you've made the right choice! My OH has a Camber Elite and loves it. Enjoy!
    ::'11 Pitch Pro::
  • Thanks - Much appreciated.

I really wanted a 2011 Giant Anthem X4, but it was a little out of my price range at present.

Any other comments on either the Camber Comp or Hei Hei?
  • tbeat
    tbeat Posts: 119
    theshabster,

I was also looking at the camber range. do you know what sort of weight the comp and elite models are?
  • theshabster
    theshabster Posts: 28
    edited March 2011
    tbeat wrote:
    theshabster,

I was also looking at the camber range. do you know what sort of weight the comp and elite models are?

Official Specialized Camber weights as follows for medium frames:

Comp - 13.76Kg (30lbs 5oz)
    Elite - 13.18Kg (29lbs 1oz)
    Expert - 12.5Kg (27lbs 10oz)
    Pro - 12.22Kg (26lbs 15oz)

The above are with the manufacturers' standard specification for medium frames.
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    I have ridden a camber, and sell them too. The camber uses the same linkage design and geometry as the stumpjumper fsr. See if the company you are buying it from is doing the spring rewards accessory deal too.
  • mattv wrote:
    I have ridden a camber, and sell them too. The camber uses the same linkage design and geometry as the stumpjumper fsr. See if the company you are buying it from is doing the spring rewards accessory deal too.

What deal is that Matt?

They are currently selling the Camber Comp at a discounted price of £999 (£1100 cycle to work scheme with £50 to spend on accessories thrown in).

What do you think of the Camber as an entry level FSR? I don't suppose Specialized provided you with any weight figures?
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    What do you think of the Camber as an entry level FSR?
    First class from what I can see. As was the FSRxc which came before it.

One of the best £1k FS bikes around.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    If they are doing that, its an awesome deal. That bike should be 1250 quid. With cyclescheme as well, they have wiped out there entire profit?
  • mattv wrote:
    If they are doing that, its an awesome deal. That bike should be 1250 quid. With cyclescheme as well, they have wiped out there entire profit?

They will still get £999 because they've charged 10% on top of that to cover Cycle Scheme fees - Still not a bad price at £1100 including £50 worth a free accessories of my choice, & they're also throwing me in a metal shock pump :)

Do you know what the weight of the Camber Comp is?

I can't find weight anywhere, & I want to make sure that the Camber, along with my missus' budget & VERY HEAVY bike (18Kg) will safely fit onto a Saris Bones 2.
  • Your missus' bike weighs nearly 40lbs...?! Goodness sake man, buy her something a bit lighter...! ;)

Camber Comp in Large should weigh no more than 32lbs/14.5Kg max.
  • It's a tank - But she likes it, & didn't want to spend a lot on a bike. It will certainly keep her fit, but if she's happy then I'm not going to argue with her over the weight!

If the Comp weighs 14Kg then that will take us slightly over the recommended weight - I can't find a maximum weight for the Bones 2, but only the Bones 3.
  • Looks like you'll have to buy her something lighter then after all! :lol:
  • stu8975
    stu8975 Posts: 1,334
    It's a tank - But she likes it, & didn't want to spend a lot on a bike. It will certainly keep her fit, but if she's happy then I'm not going to argue with her over the weight!

If the Comp weighs 14Kg then that will take us slightly over the recommended weight - I can't find a maximum weight for the Bones 2, but only the Bones 3.

Weight limits are on the Saris website...35lb per bike. have you actually tried to fit your wife's bike to the rack yet? you may find the frame design of it makes it a PITA...if it will actually fit securely.
  • Just got the official weight for the Camber Comp - It's 13.76Kg (30lbs 5oz) for a medium, so I'm guessing that a large frame will be around 14Kg.

Not tried yet Stu as I'm looking at purchasing it pre-owned.

The total weight allowance is 31.75Kg, & our bikes come to a total weight of approx 32Kg.
    I could save weight by taking wheels off of my bike.

Short of purchasing a 3 carrier, we're going to struggle carrying 2 bikes on a rack - It might be one in the back of the car & one on the rack, or both on the rack & remove a couple of parts.
  • I got the camber comp at the beginning of february, Absolutely love it so far, haven't had a really long ride on it due to lack of time.

From what I have ridden it is great, the shock feels brilliant, the forks are very responsive and easy to set up. The crank set feels fine, I have been impressed with the gear changes and feel. The Tektro brakes are great so far in my opinion.

The only issue I had was the clearance between the fork and tyre, it must be less than 6mm. This meant that on muddy rides I constantly was stopping to clear mud from the tyre. It literally stopped my wheel from turning! But this was serious amounts of mud, inches deep. My friend with a pair of Talas' didn't have the problem though!

Anyway, great choice!!!!
  • I did notice that there was very little clearance beneath the fork arch compared to other RockShox forks. Thanks for the info though, & I'll keep a close eye on it around the trails.

Thanks to Matt for the 'heads up' about the Spring promo - I'm now getting £130 worth of Specialized gear included with the bike, instead of the original £50 :)

Just got to wait for the bike now ...
  • I took delivery of my Specialized Camber last Tuesday evening :)

I've yet to give it a proper test, but hope to do so over the coming weeks.

My rear shock seems to 'squelch' when moving - Is this normal for a new shock?
  • My rear shock seems to 'squelch' when moving - Is this normal for a new shock?

It's not unusual, make sure to give the shock stanchion a wipe with a dry soft cloth and make sure theres no chain lube or residue on it, otherwise unless its completely dry it will make a squelch noise..