Giant anthem x4 2011

tbeat
tbeat Posts: 119
edited March 2011 in MTB buying advice
hi all,

im looking to buy first full suspension bike. i currently have a giant xtc 4. i do a lot of xc, fire road and single track mostly for fitness..

What are your thoughts amd experiences of the giant anthem range?

Trev

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Never rode tha Anthem but the Trance is very nice. Anthem should be as good but lighter.
    Have you looked at the Trance? Might be better if your not doing XC racing, slightly more comfortable possibly & can take just about anything you throw at it.
    Meastro suspension is awesome.
  • tbeat
    yeah,

RockmonkeySC

what weight is the trance do you know? i usually like to hit the climbs and dont want a bike that is heavier than my current hardtail
  • fozzy17
    fozzy17 Posts: 339
    ive got the anthem X1 and its been superb had it two years and its took everything ive thrown at it, great xc bike, im up afan alot and its great for climbing allthough great going downhil its not as fast as a good freeride bike...
  • rockmonkeysc
    My 2010 Trance X3 is 28lb so about a pound lighter than your xtc and a pound heavier than the Anthem X4.
  • streetvw
    streetvw Posts: 164
    I was looking to get the same bike but have since decided that I'm gonna go with a canyon nerve XC7

http://www.canyon.com/_uk/mountainbikes ... tml?b=2074

cause it's a much better spec'd bike for the cash :D
    2011 Canyon Nerve XC7 viewtopic.php?t=12765275
  • its a great bike for cross country had mine a year now. i ride mine round east lancs, yorkshire dales and lakes some of the best mountain biking areas in the uk and it just eats it all up, fast and light its not just for racing on its a true cross country bike
    anthem x with many upgrades
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    I've had my X2 for about 9 months now and absolutley love it.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • fnq59
    fnq59 Posts: 37
    I've had my XO for getting on 2 years and am loving it
  • tbeat
    thumbs up all round then for the anthem and trance range.. just made my decision harder now. :D
  • rockmonkeysc
    Get a test ride on them both.
    I had the same problem choosing between the Trance X & Reign. Searched loads of reviews & asked questions on forums & couldn't find anything bad about either model, just great reviews & happy owners.
    My choice was made in the end because Giant UK had sold out of both models & I eventually found a shop with a Trance X in my size.
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    I have a 2010 X4 and just love it to bits, it's a complete rocket. I don't really do huge jumps so have never found out if it would do those but for hammering round Swinley forest it's pure joy to ride.
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • othello
    othello Posts: 577
    t0pc4t wrote:
    I have a 2010 X4 and just love it to bits, it's a complete rocket. I don't really do huge jumps so have never found out if it would do those but for hammering round Swinley forest it's pure joy to ride.

I ride Swinley a lot and have been wondering about the Anthem or Trance. I know I'll want the Trance when I head to Afan again, but for regular riding the Anthem would be fine.
    Blogging about junior road bikes http://junior-road-bikes.tumblr.com
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    I've a 2010 X4 with 1,000 miles on the clock. It's my first serious MTB and it has been a blast... it eats up the miles, climbs really well, and so far I've not tested its limits downhill as I'm still too timid. But for a 100mm travel bike it seems capable of taking a reasonable hit without bottoming out. One day I'll have to see if I can borrow a Trance for comparison, but I think for most of what I do an XC bike is spot on, and the Anthem has more than lived up to its reputation.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • rockmonkeysc
    I ride Swinley a lot and have been wondering about the Anthem or Trance. I know I'll want the Trance when I head to Afan again, but for regular riding the Anthem would be fine.

I'm about half way between Afan & Swinley so I ride both. The Trance is perfect at Afan, I can keep up with anyone on the descents there. The Anthem may be slightly better at Swinley for the more xc orientated trails, even the DH & FR trails at Swinley are tame enough to ride on an xc bike.
  • othello
    othello Posts: 577

I'm about half way between Afan & Swinley so I ride both. The Trance is perfect at Afan, I can keep up with anyone on the descents there. The Anthem may be slightly better at Swinley for the more xc orientated trails, even the DH & FR trails at Swinley are tame enough to ride on an xc bike.

Thanks -- doesn't help me make a decision mind!! :D
    Blogging about junior road bikes http://junior-road-bikes.tumblr.com