Chanreaction or merlin for wheel build?

TheWildHaggis
TheWildHaggis Posts: 143
edited March 2011 in MTB buying advice
As per title, which is best for wheel builds?

Looking to get a rear XT hub with 719 rims, both are same price but merlin are wanting £7 for postage where as chainreactions are free, so I could use the extra cash to get upgraded spokes.

Any advice.
BeOne Frame, RockShox Recon, Mavic 719 XT Hubs, Elixr R brakes, floating rotor, SLX Drivetrain.
Webdesign project http://www.nfpc.org.uk

Comments

• forget about the £7, that's nowt, just go on reputation

can't speak for Chain Reaction wheel builds though their service is v good

very happy with my custom built 719 rims on Hope hubs from Merlin
  • I've just plumper for Merlin out of the two, mainly due to wheel building rep, and 10% discount just for being a member of their mailing list.
  • had both, no problems with either.
  • markp2
    markp2 Posts: 162
    'jiust riding along' gets my vote. Very pleased with the wheelset i received from them.
    Genesis Croix de Fer - my new commuting mount
    Saracen Hytrail - the workhorse - now pensioned off
    Kinetic-One FK1 roadie - the fast one - hairy legs though!
    Cannondale Jekyll Lefty MTB - the muddy one which keeps tipping me into gorse bushes!
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    I got some XM719s on XT hubs from Merlin last year. They arrived in just a couple of days and in terms of maintenance, I haven't touched them in prob 3000 mi off-roading.

I suspect CRC are just as good but it would be difficult to imagine how they could improve on Merlin unless their wheels are delivered by naked dancing girls carrying bacon sandwiches, lager, pizza and cake.
  • phal44
    phal44 Posts: 240
    Hmmm looking at the Stan's webby it seems like I might want Arch rims rather than Crests since I'm a bit heavy :P Don't want em breaking on me lol

Arch's seem recommended for light AM and XC? Or do people think Crests would definitely be strong enough for 17st? :p
  • Went for the CRC build, worked out a bit cheaper and i was going to be ordering stuff from them any way.

XT 6Bolt Hub, XM719 Rim, Locking nipples and Comp spokes.

Eagerly awaiting the email saying its dispatched.
    BeOne Frame, RockShox Recon, Mavic 719 XT Hubs, Elixr R brakes, floating rotor, SLX Drivetrain.
    Webdesign project http://www.nfpc.org.uk
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    Merlin are a bit better IME.

Having said that, I haven't bought anything other than Hope Hoops for the last three years.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • Dave_P1
    Dave_P1 Posts: 565
    I spent ages searching the net and reading different opinions on both companies when looking at buying some wheels and came to the conclusion they were both as good as each other.
  • I've had wheels from Merlin- one set is Deore/ACI spokes/Mavic XC717 rims and have been faultless, now 5 yrs old. The other set is the same bar DT x455 rims and haven't fared as well- the back disc side just keeps breaking spokes for some reason, so much so I've given up on it and put it out to pasture on the turbo.
    I thought it may be running high pressure tyres(road 90-100psi) on them and have discovered that this can cause the spokes to lose tension, and less tension is more likely to cause breaks than too much??
    All I would advise on customs is pay the bit more for a decent hub and comp DT spokes for peace of mind!!
  • maddog 2 wrote:
    Merlin are a bit better IME.

Having said that, I haven't bought anything other than Hope Hoops for the last three years.

Hope hoops are made on a machine... same as CRC wheels.

Merlin wheels are handbuilt.
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    Just goin on my own personal experience i would go for a Merlin build, ive had a few sets myself and never had any probs with them and they do have the reputation of being the uk's finest mtb wheel builder for good reason amongst those that know.

CRC may be ok but my money would go on what i know rather than an unknown.