London Velodrome - open to the public before 2012?

alanf
alanf Posts: 222
edited March 2011 in Track
Anyone know if this will be the case? Im gagging to ride it :lol:
DOOOOOOOOOOOOUGHNUTS!!!
I like
DOOOOOOOOOOOOUGHNUTS!!!

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    They may have to run several test events there with reduced capacity as part of the safety certificate procedure but I doubt it will be open to Joe Bloggs to ride first. Could be wrong though as I think Wembley was christened by local kids matches :?
  • alanf
    Would make sense to let the boards bed in a bit. I reads Ron's Interview in the Comic and he reckons the wood used doesnt shrink that much but it probably benefits some riders being on it. It would be good to put a W/C or revolution there.
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOUGHNUTS!!!
    I like
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOUGHNUTS!!!
  • some of the guys from halesowen were the first to ride it, was reading it in the paper and im rather desperate to ride it too!

hopefully they will run a big open meeting or something there.

i doubt they will be doing any joe bloggs sessions down there this year as the last thing they want is a nice big hole in the track before the games have even started!
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    Halesowen, that well known London suburb. :wink:

London already has a velodrome that's open for business; Herne Hill. The only remaining venue from the 1948 London Olympics.
  • I heard that it will get its shakedown at a world cup in early 2012.
  • alanf
    London already has a velodrome that's open for business; Herne Hill. The only remaining venue from the 1948 London Olympics.

Not at this time of year which is when you need a covered track the most.

Actually why did Halesowen CC get to ride it and not London based riders?
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOUGHNUTS!!!
    I like
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOUGHNUTS!!!
  • Chrissz
    Chrissz Posts: 727
    Pics from a couple of weeks ago :):)

2138698944d42065e64d7427eeffdc2936f664bb05d1a4eb463068706a2d9167058573ba.jpg

1290614518e81351fc2c26dfe77e888112fb845c67924988e39c4df7c2267bb9d621fa96.jpg

61557283d90e928aa3892c48062d9f447acb3bd31a8de5eb5af388184f052435789f165d.jpg
  • blooocow
    blooocow Posts: 428
    alanf wrote:

Actually why did Halesowen CC get to ride it and not London based riders?

I know, disgusting innit!!!! I mean, it's the LONDON Olympics. Wot are Northerners doing on our track?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Impressive looking venue - the photo of the banking looks even more scary than usual!!
  • kieranb
    kieranb Posts: 1,674
    VCL club members also gave it a test out:

http://www.vcl.org.uk/london-velodrome-trip/
  • alanf
    As a Taxpayer I dont see why it shouldnt open to the public staright away. If its going to remain only available to GB riders until after the Games then that is scandalous as we have paid for it.
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOUGHNUTS!!!
    I like
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOUGHNUTS!!!
  • oldtrackie
    oldtrackie Posts: 171
    Might be a logistical and security nightmare allowing public access to all Olympic venues as each is finished?
  • alanf
    At the moment but bear in mind Halesowen and Vcl have both ridden there it cant be that difficult. There should be no excuse for it not being open to the public later in the year. The ODA should remember that we the public own it paid for through our taxes and as such I want to use it, not sit there looking enviously at Manchester and Newport for another year or so.
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOUGHNUTS!!!
    I like
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOUGHNUTS!!!
  • oldtrackie
    oldtrackie Posts: 171
    Having ridden there with VCL, believe me it is difficult! I can't disagree with your sentiments, but I'm sure swimmers, athletes, basketball clubs etc have just as much right to take issue with the organisers...and being realistic, they are just not geared up to opening up and staffing all venues, changing facilities, parking, security etc.
  • donkykong
    donkykong Posts: 160
    are the burgers better at the new velodrome ? than at manchester,