Are you a Weight Weenie?

The Rookie
The Rookie Posts: 27,812
edited March 2011 in Commuting general
My name is Simon and I am a Weight Weenie. :(

There I admited it, but why do I do it?
I can try and rationalise it as being to make my commute easier, faster and more conveninat, but it doesn't really make that much difference, the bike weighs 10Kg, add another 1Kg ish for rack and mudguards etc, then I add a laptop and lunch which probably add another 3-4Kg (I haven't weighed them - probably as I don't really want to know!)

So why do I do it? I think it's the engineer in me, saving weight off the bike (especially on a budget) is a challenge and fun in its own right, little details can save weight, little details normal people (that is normal, balanced and sane people who aren't weight weenies) won't even consider, like swapping the brake levers left and right to shorten the total cable run to save weight, fitting a single BB cable guide (1x9) in lieu of double, that saved 2g (yes 2g - for free!), noting that using a SRAM rear mech with direct cable route saved 6g on the rear cable over the Shimano I had before.
Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.

Comments

• ince
    ince Posts: 289
    I have started down this slippery slope too.

Only on the Sunday bike so far, just ordered some new peds 120g each. Set of American Classic 440 wheels fitted after Christmas, new stem.

These look nice too.
    http://www.readytoridecycles.co.uk/kcnc ... -330-p.asp

Why? I think in part spending too much time here and other sites with new shiny bike bits I want. If you like to tinker with bikes I guess it's normal to try to improve/change things to your own spec and cutting 10g here and there can only help.

On the flip side the old commuter bike has not been touched beyond replacing worn parts.
  • The Rookie
    As my weekend bike is a mountain bike, my WW inclinations haven't got onto it as much, mainly because reducing weight is less benefit, and reliability and strength are as importnat, not to say I won't fit a lighter part if I have it and its as good of course, so it's my commuter that gets the bulk of the attention.

I've even looked at trying to pass the disc brake cable through the fork leg, using that as a stressed part to delete some cable outer!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    i ahd a mate who worked in a LBS years ago, we all rode street trial an he was obsessed with weightloss on the bike he drilled an hollowed out everything including cranks, rims all ended up with a bike that was super light but woudl shatterif you rode it on anything

my current commuter im certain is made from depleated uranium it weighs an absolute tonne!
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Moodyman
    Moodyman Posts: 158
    No weight weenie here. I carry too much weight on my body, so cutting a kg here and there on the bike makes insignificant difference.

Besides, I view the heavy commuter as making me fitter and stronger. Something I really appreciate when I jump on my light roadbike at the weekend.
  • jeremyrundle
    jeremyrundle Posts: 1,014
    I laugh at the people who try to keep all weight to a minimum, does that include going for a p** before setting off and don't stop for that coffe or sandwich, may be equal to a brake disk in weight :lol:
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • crazy88
    crazy88 Posts: 560
    I just ordered some Quest Como wheels for my commute so I think that answers this question :D

I want it as reliable as possible so that it won't let me down on the commute, and reliable doesn't come in light and cheap.

As mentioned above though, I quite like the challenge of the weight. It's one reason why I carry my lock home daily, adds a few extra pounds to drag up the hill with me.
    Out with the old, in with the new here.
  • richk
    richk Posts: 564
    As I'm about a stone overweight myself, there really isn't much point... :oops:
    There is no secret ingredient...
  • Definately not. Give me over-engineered reliability and comfort over saving a few grams every time.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • The Rookie
    I do agree with not going so light as to have unreliability, don't get me wrong, but I doubt for example that my X0 twist shifter and X9 rear mech are any less reliable than Deore/LX yet I saved 116grams, likewise my Suntour PFF touring cranks are no more likley to fail than the Deore that came off, yet saved another 50g.

I do agree it can be taken too far, but I know I can stop anytime I want to!

Simon
  • @The Beginner. With all these 'improvements' I daresay your wallet will be somewhat lighter too :wink:
  • bobbygloss
    bobbygloss Posts: 317
    I think I'm the opposite of a weight weenie, whatever that is called.
    Mudguards, bell, mirror, oodles of lights, rack, reflectors, bottle cages and anything else I can think of bolted on. Usually a full water bottle too, even though I never drink any until I get to work / home.
  • The Rookie
    @The Beginner. With all these 'improvements' I daresay your wallet will be somewhat lighter too :wink:
    Sometimes, I tend to buy judiciously - I got the X0 and X9 for a net price of £15 (I got the X9 in a job lot and sold on what I didn't want and sold my deore shifter as well, the LX rear mech went on the wifes bike saving me about another £8 say in sourcing a reasonable used one) so not really wallet emptying if you do it carefully - again I find that part of the challenge and fun!

Another of my finds was a M475hub on a Sunringle equaliser21 rim that cost me £5.50 fitted (yes really, £4 from the local recycling centre and 2 new spokes at 75p each) and saved over 300g on the old Alex rim/M475 combo that then went on my MTB anyway (saving me buying one for that).

I have other examples like that, having built the bike up from single components I know the weight of every part, so if I come across another component I will know straight away if fitting it will be a saving, I recently picked up a disc brake calliper (Clarkes CMD-9, same as I already had on it) with IS instead of post mounts, saving the adapter saved 20g, arguably makes it more reliable, and cost £2 (including a brand new set of pads which normally sell for about £6 anyway!), of course I put in the most used pads I have!

Simon
  • ^^ Ah, bargain hunting I can relate too. There is indeed great satisfaction in hunting down and combining still 'better' kit, then recycling the old stuff. It is just that in my view 'better' is all to do with how effectively it works, how reliable it is, and how much more comfortable it makes me. Somethimes it is lighter too, but that isn't a primary concern for me. In fact for my commuter bike I don't want it to be (or to look) too good.
  • ince
    ince Posts: 289
    In fact for my commuter bike I don't want it to be (or to look) too good.

+1 to that. My commuter has bits and bobs all over the place, rack etc. Gaffer tape over the frame for bike rack protection etc. Weight is not an issue for this bike.

Walking into the office this morning carrying my bag I was thinking how heavy it was. With all the junk I carry back and fore it probably weighs in more than my Sunday bike on it's own.

I'm one of those people who can't leave alone. I like changing, swapping and upgrading etc. I have never managed to leave a car or motorbike as standard and bikes for me are no different. If I'm going to buy new kit I will look at how many grams I'll save. Yes I need to trim a few kg (or 10) off of my own carcass but that's beside the point. I like spending and upgrading my bike.
  • The Rookie
    I recently picked up a disc brake calliper (Clarkes CMD-9, same as I already had on it) with IS instead of post mounts, saving the adapter saved 20g, arguably makes it more reliable, and cost £2 (including a brand new set of pads which normally sell for about £6 anyway!), of course I put in the most used pads I have!
    Of course, I've stripped down the old calliper, weighed every part and will now do the same to the new one (which has subtle detail differences) so I can make up the lightest combination.

Simon
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Not remotely fussed on the commuter bike (Allez, Tiagra, Power Tap wheel, weighs more than my FS MTB), not that bothered on the road bike (done sub-1200g carbon tub wheels, don't race enough to care any more).

MTBs are pared down everywhere possible wihtout comprimising strength and function though. Alu bolts in brakes, levers, mechs etc, ti pedal axles, foam grips etc.

So I'm a practical weight weenie, never broken anything light, only parts I've broken have been stock parts, and have a nice 20ish pound Top Fuel.

However... never done the spreadsheet thing to see where to save weight.
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    I have a steel tourer with a pannier full of food and clothing for bad weather (it rains a lot in the peak district)

From July 2009 - June 2010, these were my rainy commutes:
    jimmypippa wrote:
    Wooo
    May 1 drizzle in 18 days
    June 2 rain in 5-days
    Gaps are due to holiday's or (mutter mutter) alternative forms of transport

Aug: 4 in 10 days
    Sept: 8 in 22 days
    Oct: 7 in 17 days
    Nov: 18 in 21 days
    December: 9 rain 3 snow in 16 days
    January: 7 snow 6 rain in 14 days (Days cycle commuting - I took the bus on three days because of the numpties in the snow)
    Feb: 5 rain 1 sleet 5 snow in 18 days
    March: 2 snow and 1 rain in 19 days
    April: 2 rain in 18 days

Warmest commuting temperature 31°C, coldest -12°C (this winter the coldest commute was -14°C)