Shimano Saint chainset

rowlers
rowlers Posts: 1,614
edited March 2011 in MTB buying advice
I've been offered a used Shimano Saint chainset, 175mm, double and bash inc bottom bracket for £35.
I do not yet know the model number/year, and will be having a look at it tomorrow, but does it sound like a good buy? I'll prob remove the bash ant make it a triple.
(It will be gong on my Inbred which is donating its parts to a FS frame I picked up cheap)
Its in the back of my mind that brand new Deore is only £50...

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    sounds like one hell of a good buy. They never made a duff Saint chainset.
  • probably an older one, make sure its not 83mm bottom bracket.
  • rowlers
    Cheers fellas and for the head up on the 83mm bottom bracket.
    We'll see what its like in the flesh then.
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    You can get adaptors to let a 73mm BB use an 83mm.
    There isn't much to the kit, just a few metal rings to support the left over threads on an 83mm bb.

I did this intentionally to give me more chain line adjustment.

So 83mm might not be a deal breaker, but try to get an extra £10 to cover the kit (assuming you do not mind your cranks 10mm further apart.)
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • Anonymous
    It would ruin your chainline though, and make shifting gears a PITA, not to mention front mech setup.
  • cavegiant
    Yee as ever that is a nice bit of speculation there.

Do you know what his chain line is currently, or more specifically how he likes it, which gear combos he uses etc etc?

He could mess around with the spacers and push the cranks all the way left, keeping the chainline the same, or even push it a full CM further out (so about 1.5 gears). Either way not a huge chainline change, but might be better. Also might be worse.

This could also be a complete moot point and 73mm.

Either way, keep your mind open to new ideas, some are worth adopting.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    cavegiant wrote:
    Yee as ever that is a nice bit of speculation there.

Do you know what his chain line is currently, or more specifically how he likes it, which gear combos he uses etc etc?

He could mess around with the spacers and push the cranks all the way left, keeping the chainline the same, or even push it a full CM further out (so about 1.5 gears). Either way not a huge chainline change, but might be better. Also might be worse.

This could also be a complete moot point and 73mm.

Either way, keep your mind open to new ideas, some are worth adopting.
    so keep a normal chain line and have your left crank 10mm further out. or have your chain line 5mm out (55mm) and your cranks even.
    Not to mention the extra loading on the bearings.

Or just get the correct sized product.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cavegiant
    if he is given the choice of 73 or 83; 73 is the better choice.

I am merely saying that if the deal is for 83, it is not that much of an issue.

running the cranks balanced a 5mm chain-line change is unlikely to be noticeable by most people. The people that notice might see it as either an improvement or a loss. I couldn't say, as I have not seen his current chain line. If he is running a 2x9 it is more likely to be an improvement, if 3x9 more likely the opposite, still a guess though.

Either way it is not a major thing.

I have my chain-set pushed fully right. This means my pedals are a few mm off, not really noticeable as I am on flats (I still stand in balance). What is noticeable is that my chain-line is FAR better for my kind of riding and noticeably more efficient.

I am putting more options in front of the guy, not saying he should go out and buy an 83mm as it is better.
  • Anonymous
    Chainlines are pretty much standard on MTBs, so there's no need to "see his chainline".
    The 73mm one will be fine since it fits everything except the 83.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    I have one on my BMX. They are tough but heavy. Overkill for general trail duty. Buy it, sell it and get SLX.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • Anonymous
    Dunno about the newer Saints, but my original series saint twin chainset is noticeably lighter than the twin slx, which is last year's spec, I believe.
  • I;ve just taken delivery of some old Hone cranks.

The double set of hones is very similar to the old saints... metal pedal insers etc etc. I'm really impressed with the weight. look great too!.
  • rowlers
    They are 68/73mm BB, FC-M805s.

Twin ring (he did tell me the rings sizes, but I've forgot!) and bash. Model year 2008. Supposedly in very good condition, with next to no wear on the rings and no play/grating f the BB.
    He bringing them to work tomorrow, for me to inspect.
    I'll prob buy them anyway at £35.
  • rowlers
    I thought they might be, fingers crossed they are as good as they sound :wink:
  • cavegiant
    Chainlines are pretty much standard on MTBs, so there's no need to "see his chainline".
    The 73mm one will be fine since it fits everything except the 83.

'pretty much' is quite a key difference.

The chainline on an atlas crank is about 10mm off a SLX.

The frame might be lined up to the standard, but cranks are different.

Bikes are different, too many standards out there.
  • Anonymous
    cavegiant wrote:
    Bikes are different, too many standards out there.
    All shimano chainsets have a set chainline for 68, 73 or 83mm. It works, since the frame chainline is (pretty much) standardised.
  • cavegiant
    I wish Raceface had copied them, would have made my set up easier.
  • rowlers
    Just picked them up. They are sweet. Virtually unmarked crank arms . As new middleburn rings. And very decent BB.
    seem quite heavy, and over the top for what I need then for. But a bargain is a bargain!
  • cavegiant
    Sound to heavy for you, I will take them off your hands if you want.

One question, 73 or 83 =-)
  • rowlers
    Pm me with an offer :wink: