Cannock Chase and choo choo trains

montevideoguy
montevideoguy Posts: 2,271
edited March 2011 in The Crudcatcher
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/feb/2 ... ment-north

I know a few of you chaps ride there. I can't help wondering if there are better options (in terms of routes) but would you welcome this or boo it?
Formally known as Coatbridgeguy

Comments

• El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    As long as they slow down so I can write down the train's number, I'm happy...
  • I remember pointing out trainspotters to the wife. Having never heard of the "hobby", she was puzzled by it. Proper "WTF" moment for her (up there with cooked breakfasts and the protestant/catholic sectarianism for concepts she just didn't see as logical)
    Formally known as Coatbridgeguy
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Trains are so 19th century.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Gazlar
    Gazlar Posts: 8,084
    I welcome the HS2 line, its about time we got up to date with rail tecnologies being used in continental Europe. I think however from looking at the current plans that an extension of HS2 affecting Cannock Chase is avoidable. The line seems to meet up with the West Coast mainline near Lichfield, so I would assume north of Lichfield it could for a large stretch follow the existing line's footprint, ok it would mean widening the track bed but that in itself would cause minimal take up of land.

What I do find funny is that the line out of the proposed Fazeley Street Station in Brum goes straight through the student accomodation built a couple of years ago
    Mountain biking is like sex.......more fun when someone else is getting hurt
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    We are used to train lines crossing the trails jeezus there's even a practice area on Marquis Drive where we can 'session' opening and closing the level crossing gates :)

Plus the story is from The Guardian: wrong about everything, all the time
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    so I would assume north of Lichfield it could for a large stretch follow the existing line's footprint, ok it would mean widening the track bed but that in itself would cause minimal take up of land.

There's more to it than that, they've only recently expanded the Trent Valley stretch to 4 tracks, you can't just dig a bit more land and plonk HS2 alongside. If nothing else it's not a particularly straight route, straight bits get more crucial the faster you want to go!
  • Gazlar
    njee20 wrote:
    so I would assume north of Lichfield it could for a large stretch follow the existing line's footprint, ok it would mean widening the track bed but that in itself would cause minimal take up of land.

There's more to it than that, they've only recently expanded the Trent Valley stretch to 4 tracks, you can't just dig a bit more land and plonk HS2 alongside. If nothing else it's not a particularly straight route, straight bits get more crucial the faster you want to go!

I'm basing this on what I've heard on the grapevine. The current proposal will see the HS2 line join the Trent Valley lines just north of Lichfield.
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • pilsburypie
    pilsburypie Posts: 891
    Trains are a great idea. Why on earth would you want to take your cold, smelly, overcrowded and often delayed car?
  • El Capitano
    Trains are a great idea.

+ 4472
  • projectsome
    projectsome Posts: 4,478
    Trains are a great idea.

+ 4472

+pi2
    FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!
  • njee20
    Trains are a great idea.

+ 4472

+pi2

+92220

How long can we do this!?
  • sheepsteeth
    sheepsteeth Posts: 17,418
    njee20 wrote:
    Trains are a great idea.

+ 4472

+pi2

+92220

not long:

+potato
  • El Capitano
    njee20 wrote:
    Trains are a great idea.

+ 4472

+pi2

+92220

not long:

+potato

Heathens the lot of you! :evil:

1575926631_e9d381f2a3.jpg
  • sheepsteeth
    sheepsteeth Posts: 17,418
    there is a whole new way to count in the fb crudcatcher.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    This is a stupid game.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Andy
    Andy Posts: 8,207
    njee20 wrote:
    Trains are a great idea.

+ 4472

+pi2

+92220

not long:

+potato

Heathens the lot of you! :evil:

1575926631_e9d381f2a3.jpg

I got it ;)
  • Gazlar
    I'll go with +323213, the first train I ever drove
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • Richie63
    Richie63 Posts: 2,132
    Gazlar wrote:
    I'll go with +323213, the first train I ever drove

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_CTqtgF0GUYQ/T ... sh_354.jpg
    I'm going to blow the bank on a new build ( within reason ) NOW DONE!!
    http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss14 ... 010362.jpg
  • forcutty
    forcutty Posts: 1,055
    Gazlar wrote:
    I welcome the HS2 line, its about time we got up to date with rail tecnologies being used in continental Europe. I think however from looking at the current plans that an extension of HS2 affecting Cannock Chase is avoidable. The line seems to meet up with the West Coast mainline near Lichfield, so I would assume north of Lichfield it could for a large stretch follow the existing line's footprint, ok it would mean widening the track bed but that in itself would cause minimal take up of land.

What I do find funny is that the line out of the proposed Fazeley Street Station in Brum goes straight through the student accomodation built a couple of years ago

There complaining too near me in Northamptonshire!! Don't no why if it gets people off our roads etc. I'm all for it. We currently run our trains on an 19th century rail footprint, which is no longer practical, we need to upgrade our lines to high speed status like every other country. Those that are campaigning need to go without a car and planes for a year to realise why. :twisted:
    P.S Once built can we try for the world speed record for steam locomotives with Tornado
    24061006RichardTuplinCowpathwaite.jpeg
    P.P.S Looks even better in real life El Cap :wink:
  • njee20
    We have the world speed record for a steam engine, with Mallard at just under 126mph...

Went on one of excursions on Tornado last year, it was crazy how many people were out to see it.