Riding with broken spoke?

chadders81
chadders81 Posts: 744
edited March 2011 in Commuting chat
Is it likely to make my wheel collapse and buck me off in to a lorry?

Went today and I did another 20 miles because I had no choice.

So do I risk it or not to work tomorrow or get PT for a couple of days - the thought of which makes me feel sick - and get it done at the weekend?

Obviously the worry is that I have weakened the wheel and it could go at some point. It certainly looks out of true but I've not a great deal of experience with wheels.

32 spokes btw.

Also, I'm not the lightest. 16+ stones.

Comments

• the whole tension of the wheel is out, they'll be pinging like shrapnel.
  • pianoleo
    pianoleo Posts: 135
    The one time this happened to me, a spoke went through the rim through the tyre! Once they start flying off, you're looking at a new wheel (ok, wheel rebuild with new rims if we're being fussy), so best to get that one spoke sorted sooner rather than later.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Hi,
    Front or rear wheel? Do you know if something specific broke it?

If it's the drive-side of the rear wheel (most likely) and it failed due to wear and tear then things may get worse pretty quickly, as the wheel will be a good bit weaker (especially as it's a 32-spoke). Do you carry much of a load (laptop? lunch? books?).

Maybe you could get an "inexpensive" replacement today, get your proper wheel sorted at the weekend and keep the other as a spare. You'll probably need to replace your current wheel at some point, anyway, so it won't be wasted.

BTW. This is why it can be worth having a second bike you can use in an emergency, whether that means using your "weekend" bike for a couple of days or dragging the rusty "old commuter", "winter hack" or "pub bike" out of the back of the shed :-) ...

Maybe you could use the extra wheel you just bought to build one up? :twisted:

Cheers,
    W.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    do you not have a lbs who can do it same day for you?

The simple option is drop it off when you get into work, pick it up on your way home/at lunchtime.
  • bobinski
    bobinski Posts: 570
    DON'T!!!

I did last week after a spoke went on my planet x b wheels. The rear. unavoidable journey and lbs didnt have right spoke length to repair and now lbs saying wheel pretty much furbar. Gonna check it into a trusted lbs for a seconde opinion but unless you are satisfied the wheel is pretty tough to start with, your weight and any load not too heavy and your roads smooth i would not risk it.

Unless you want to buy a new wheel or set of wheels :)
  • Never had a spoke go on me and almost wish one would because I have been carring a couple of spares around on the chain stay of my Raleigh Radonneur for years. I know of some people who have taped, or zip-tied spare spokes to their frame but never come across another bike that has braze-ons specifically for this purpose..

Sorry, I'm gloating. I would replace spoke asap. I might ride home but wouldn't embark on a new trip with a broken spoke.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • Never had a spoke go on me and almost wish one would because I have been carring a couple of spares around on the chain stay of my Raleigh Radonneur for years. I know of some people who have taped, or zip-tied spare spokes to their frame but never come across another bike that has braze-ons specifically for this purpose..

I think it's a fairly standard thing with a proper touring bike. A mate's Surley Long-haul trucker certainly has them.
  • chadders81
    chadders81 Posts: 744
    Managed to rejig my day and had a little skive at each end to drop off at LBS and plead with him to get it done today.

Picked it up on way home.

If anybody lives in or near Birmingham, I reccomend Venture Bikes in Stirchley. The owner is a very decent guy who went it alone 14 months ago. Was head mechanic at a Specialized franchise before that.