Achey legs

The Northern Monkey
The Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
Anyone know how I can reduce/cure my achey legs?

I have pretty dodgy knees, and it takes ages for them to warm up. Todays ride at Cwmcarn, about 1/2 way round I got into my stride and my legs had started to wake up.

I stretch at every opportunity while riding round, and take it easy up the 1st few climbs to get them moving.

I've started walking to work which has helped a bit, but is there anything else I can do?

I try to stay as active as I can during the week to keep them moving.

From my Uni days, I know I have predominately type 2 muscle fibres which is probably why I was pretty good at rugby... high - fast output but low resistance to fatigue. I do feel I get a lot of lactate build up around my knees/thighs too.

I'm a bit stumped really, in an ideal world i'd try and get out and do more riding to keep the legs spinning but I just don't have the time at the moment :(

Comments

• Hey man, my knees are ufked up as well man!

I small brace would probably be in order, it helps keep the movements fluid and in line rather than running about a bit.

I find with my knees that when i'm riding, the times I do have problems with them, it's because my knees are twisting around a bit and not moving the way they should be.
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Stretch every day when you get up and before going to bed as well as when you ride.

Do some long intervals to increase your lactate tolerance and some short intervals to increase your VO2 max.

It works.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • hmm shall try more stretching :)

Any I should do in particular? I know quite a few from rugby days so i'll work through those.

Reckon I can send my knees to tftuned for a refurb? :lol:

MountainMonster
    I;ve thought about a brace, but always figure i'd rather try and strengthen naturally, otherwise I might depend on the brace all the time :(
  • hmm shall try more stretching :)

Any I should do in particular? I know quite a few from rugby days so i'll work through those.

Reckon I can send my knees to tftuned for a refurb? :lol:

MountainMonster
    I;ve thought about a brace, but always figure i'd rather try and strengthen naturally, otherwise I might depend on the brace all the time :(

Even just a very thin brace, something to hold the form and not really fully support it would be good. I've got what in essence is a giant sock folded twice that I wear on my knee, basically just a lycra material one. Helps to keep the form when riding so it doesn't tire as quick and doesn't actually support anything, just helps keep movements in line.

Works wonders :)