What GPS

spdpug98
spdpug98 Posts: 112
edited March 2011 in MTB buying advice
I have done a seach but don't seem to have come up with an answer

I am looking at buying a GPS as I am getting a bit bored of riding the same local routes / trials, I know there must be a lot more local to me but I just don't know where

So I thought the best solution would be to buy a GPS system and then download local routes from (somewhere on the) internet

Can anyone recommended me a system to buy, I would like a system that tells me which way to go (from downloaded routes) also possibly record new routes (if possible) as I am riding them and then also act as a standard bike computer (if they exist)

There seem to be so many differant types/makes/models that I just don't know where to start

Comments

• mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    Garmin edge range is the obvious one, BUT there is a new product being launched about now by s company called Bryton. They are about half the price of garmin but have as many if not more functions. From a UK supplier called Zyro, same ad Cateye and Altura.
  • spdpug98
    They look like a nice bit of kit, do you know much about them?

Do they use the same maps and downloads as the Garmin's etc, if I downloaded a map/route from the internet would it run it etc

Also, can anyone recommend some route download sites
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    Don't know much myself, they are not launched yet. I know someone who saw them at a trade show and liked them. They use user-updated maps or something, but I think they come with something on an SD card if you chose the higher models. There was talk of a camera on one which would mark where on your route the picture was taken.
  • Garmin Edge 705 will probably do BUT the Edge 805 has OS maps!
  • camerauk
    camerauk Posts: 1,000
    My vote would be the Garmin Dakota 20 with the Discovery maps :)
    Specialized Camber Expert
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • Arkady001
    Arkady001 Posts: 201
    I've thought about this, but discounted it as a bad thing for general playing around...
    I find a good map and compass is more fun - I use GPS to drive and for work, but I like to go out on the bike and try to get 'lost' once in a while.
    More than a few time's we've found really awesome trails by doing the "Ooh, I wonder where this goes?" routine...
    My only problem here is the local 1:25,000 maps are utter shi'ite compared to OS Landrangers - honestly you don't know how good they are untill you try and find foreign equivalents...

I'm currently trying to source Bundeswehr military maps in the hope they may contain more detail...
  • hard-rider
    hard-rider Posts: 460
    Arkady001 wrote:
    My only problem here is the local 1:25,000 maps are utter shi'ite compared to OS Landrangers - honestly you don't know how good they are untill you try and find foreign equivalents....
    Ahmen to that!. Try finding a decent map of the Algarve. Virtually impossible. The closest I found to an OS quality map (but was still miles from OS in detail) was 30 years out of date!

As for GPS, I just use my Windows Mobile PDA phone and run GPS Sport Tracker. It will give you directions, allow you to log your route and import routes. You can choose which maps to use, google satellite, and others. It's also free. I use an external bluetooth GPS receiver (Holux 256) as it save on the phones battery not using the internal receiver. I can easily get 6-8 hours of logging from a charge.

You can use various sites to create routes on and then download them to the device. ridewithgps.com, bikeroutetoaster.com, endomondo.com are a few examples.
  • spdpug98
    Thanks for all the replies, with regards to maps I dont really have time to spend using maps etc - with 2 small kids my riding time is limited so really want to be able to download routes to a device and then just get out and ride them

I am really struggling to decide between the Garmin 800 and the Bryton, I see the Garmin as having a good community using it (i.e. choice of routes) and a big company behind it, but the Bryton being cheaper but newer with more ongoing upgrades but not a lot of people using it.............I can't decide!
  • hard-rider
    hard-rider Posts: 460
    spdpug98 wrote:
    I am really struggling to decide between the Garmin 800 and the Bryton, I see the Garmin as having a good community using it (i.e. choice of routes) and a big company behind it, but the Bryton being cheaper but newer with more ongoing upgrades but not a lot of people using it.............I can't decide!
    Apparently there are a few niggles (weather proofing, and firmware issues) with the 800 so check them out first before making your decision. Read the comments in the bikeradar review.

I think with the lower price of the Brytons, the user base should grow quickly but only if it proves to be a good product. A bit early to establish that at the moment though. Personally, I'd go for the cheaper option.
  • JD96
    JD96 Posts: 21
    Don't know much about them myself but the latest edition of Cycling Plus has a big article on cycling GPS. Include's reviews of the Garmin, Bryton and many more!
  • riddle
    riddle Posts: 41
    I am toying with the Dakota 20 and Memory Map 2800, has anyone got experiences of either?
    Blue Skies Always
    Roger H-Smith
    07807 031797
  • camerauk
    camerauk Posts: 1,000
    riddle wrote:
    I am toying with the Dakota 20 and Memory Map 2800, has anyone got experiences of either?

I have the Dakota it's a great bit of kit I use it with the GB Discovery maps
    works great for my needs I also use it for a bit of walking and the occasional bit Geocaching
    Specialized Camber Expert
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • spdpug98
    Just a qucik question on the Bryton, does anyone know if the maps show footpaths / bridle paths like the OS maps do. Its just that I looked at a few of the 'make your own routes' sites last night and none of them showed the bridlepaths that I ride every day