Mumsnet

Pross
Pross Posts: 40,215
edited March 2011 in The bottom bracket
What's the deal with Mumsnet and the BBC? Virtually every morning seems to have a representative of Mum's net giving an opinion on the topic of the day. Who is it that has decided these women are experts on parenting, motherhood, health, education and pretty much everything else? From what I have seen they seem to represent a very narrow section of society and millions of women have done what they have before without thinking it puts them in a position to tell everyone else.

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,237
    I'm sensing some forum jealousy ;)
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    Q: Who is it that has decided these women are experts on parenting, motherhood, health, education and pretty much everything else?

A: A representative of Mumsnet.
  • shm_uk
    shm_uk Posts: 683
    edited March 2011
    Mumsnet seems to just be a load of bossy opinionated busy-bodies, convinced their opinion is the Holy Grail of parenting, and anyone who dares to disagrees is spurned and humiliated.

Bit like the BBC really.

They both believe their own hype too much: that they're providing an incomparable and indispensible public service.

When really they're just one small voice amongst many.
  • shm_uk
    shm_uk Posts: 683
    Monkeypump wrote:
    Q: Who is it that has decided these women are experts on parenting, motherhood, health, education and pretty much everything else?

A: A representative of Mumsnet.

Never trust a self-proclaimed expert.
  • Ollieda
    Ollieda Posts: 1,010
    I do like how their political interviewing includes questions like "What's your favorite biscuit" and despite the stupididty of it, it became one of the most talked about questions which apparently exposed politicians true selves....mental!
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Ollieda wrote:
    I do like how their political interviewing includes questions like "What's your favorite biscuit" and despite the stupididty of it, it became one of the most talked about questions which apparently exposed politicians true selves....mental!

The best part of that whole episode was that Brown was never asked the question. Outrage that he never answered a question he wasn't asked.

Genius.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • rick_chasey
    iainf72 wrote:
    Ollieda wrote:

The best part of that whole episode was that Brown was never asked the question. Outrage that he never answered a question he wasn't asked.

Genius.

Mumsnet is often massively on the money when it comes to female opinions in those few key swing constituencies (i.e. the "middle England" lot)

Expect to see Mumsnet become less conspicuous if the new AV systems is voted in.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    It's a v.influential forum that has took off accidentally and is now seen by a lot of politicians as a vital vote to capture. Lot of good info on the site but as with cycling forums you may have to wade thro'some toss to get to the bits you want
    M.Rushton
  • guinea
    guinea Posts: 1,177
    Mumsnet is mental.

Really really mental.

I read it for a laugh now and again. If these nutters are truly representative of mothers, I'm never having kids.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,949
    So who's actually looking after the kids whilst they are busy exchanging pointless gossip online?
  • rajMAN
    rajMAN Posts: 429
    Well today they can sit and gabble about how their car insurance will be going up!! ha ha :D
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    The only forum on the internet scarier than 4chan.
  • Pross
    Why don't the BBC get a representative of Bike Radar on every now and then as an alternative? My choice of rep would be Black Panther as his views are pretty much a consensus of the opionions of us all :lol:
  • rick_chasey
    Pross wrote:
    Why don't the BBC get a representative of Bike Radar on every now and then as an alternative? My choice of rep would be Black Panther as his views are pretty much a consensus of the opionions of us all :lol:

:shock:
  • Pross
    Maybe we should have a series of experts to talk on the topic of the day so Black Panther could do race relations (with Will covering when talking about Chinese immigration), Speed King could handle consumer advice, Dilemna motoring, Aggieboy women's issues / feminism type debates etc. etc. :lol:
  • rick_chasey
    guinea wrote:
    Mumsnet is mental.

Really really mental.

I read it for a laugh now and again. If these nutters are truly representative of mothers, I'm never having kids.

Links please!
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    afx237vi wrote:

Meh. They all pale next to The Clinic.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • guinea
    guinea Posts: 1,177
    guinea wrote:
    Mumsnet is mental.

Really really mental.

Links please!

This is where I usually start:

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable
  • rick_chasey
    iainf72 wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

Meh. They all pale next to The Clinic.

Not cutting edge muscle?
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    guinea wrote:
    guinea wrote:
    Mumsnet is mental.

Really really mental.

Links please!

I see they don't have a 'mums in lycra' thread - move along, nothing to see here.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    hobo.jpg

Apparently GMTV were gonna interview this guy from 'Bumsnet' last week... but he fell asleep in the green room and pi$$ed himself!

Badoom-tish!

My name is ratsbeyfus, thank you and goodnight!

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    Pross wrote:
    Maybe we should have a series of experts to talk on the topic of the day so Black Panther could do race relations (with Will covering when talking about Chinese immigration), Speed King could handle consumer advice, Dilemna motoring, Aggieboy women's issues / feminism type debates etc. etc. :lol:

Noooo. gotta be AndyMancs motoring column, that'd be invective laden hilarity
  • guinea wrote:
    guinea wrote:
    Mumsnet is mental.

Really really mental.

Links please!

Totally mental...have you read the one about wishing she was a man....WTF!!!
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    she is making the point that men generally have it a lot easier than women both physically and mentally in the child care/upbringing areas as well as the stress/physical toll that childbirth has.

If an outsider viewed this forum they would prob. chuckle at the homoerotic threads and the general b0ll0x talked about bike kit and riding
    M.Rushton
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Mums are mental. Therefore Mumsnet is mental.
  • thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    My Mums mental and since my wife became a mum, she's mental too.
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • richk
    richk Posts: 564
    Pross wrote:
    ... Speed King could handle consumer advice, ... :lol:

I'm at work :oops: trying not to laugh as I'd have to explain that one :lol:
    There is no secret ingredient...
  • snailracer
    snailracer Posts: 968
    Mental mums?

"...the mother’s brain typically shrinks during pregnancy by as much as 8% of its original size. The brain returns to its normal size about 6 months after delivery."

:shock:

http://tobeinformed.com/40/does-the-bra ... pregnancy/
  • DIESELDOG
    DIESELDOG Posts: 2,087
    I think I need the love, stability and advice that Mumsnet could provide me with. My daughter has just told me she's, she's, *sniff, sniff*, oh heck, I can't do it..

Oh sod it I can, she's going to be a podium dancer!!!!

Go babe!!

Love n hugs

DD
    Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

www.onemanandhisbike.co.uk
  • Pross
    Better than a pole dancer isn't it (although less money)!