Tour of wessex - for all-comers or talented riders?

I am thinking of entering the tour of Wessex, maybe two of the days. Maybe three. But, is the tour for seriously good riders? I can probably manage 16 mph ave on a 100 mile course with a lot of climbing. Does that sound reasonable or will I be out of my depth?

thanks

Comments

• weapons
    weapons Posts: 367
    I did the ToW last year and going to do it again this year. The standard of riding did seem a lot higher than the average sportive - look at the gold standard time which is near impossible for most. However, it sounds like you are an experienced cyclist and if you can hold a 16mph average over a day of the ToW that is more than respectable (that will get you in at just over 6 hours per day which is definitely in the top third of riders).

At the end of the day, it is a sportive so as long as you can lug yourself over the course within the permitted time, you'll be fine.
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    I'm in for the first time, as part of a team, so hoping it doesnt require you to be too 'pro' ;)

16mph over 100 should be plenty, and being able to do 2-3 back to back longer rides is probably just, or more, important!
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • markp2
    markp2 Posts: 162
    I have done it for the last two years. I can't cope with 3 days in a row so do the Saturday and Monday with a rest day in the middle! 16mph average will be more than fine!
    Mark
    Genesis Croix de Fer - my new commuting mount
    Saracen Hytrail - the workhorse - now pensioned off
    Kinetic-One FK1 roadie - the fast one - hairy legs though!
    Cannondale Jekyll Lefty MTB - the muddy one which keeps tipping me into gorse bushes!
  • AndyRubio
    AndyRubio Posts: 880
    I did it as an 'all comer' and it was great - and believe me I am NOT talented, I just enjoy riding through ace countryside.
  • fizz
    fizz Posts: 483
    Go for it, I'm an average rider even when on the top of my game. I've done the Saturday 100 miler twice, I didnt find it easy, but thats part of the challenge isnt it.

My average speed for last year 14.3mph, so if you can hold 16mph over that kinda of route / terrain you'll do just fine.
  • ADIHEAD
    ADIHEAD Posts: 575
    I live round the corner and the Saturday route is mainly roads I do every week so I tend to do the Sunday ride down to Wareham etc as it's very scenic and don't have to worry about working the next day! There's lots of fast riders out there but I'm not one of them over that sort of distance :roll: I just do it for fun so if you turn up, you'll probably beat me at least :wink: