Happiest couples are child free!

geordieindevon
geordieindevon Posts: 127
edited March 2011 in The bottom bracket
http://uk.lifestyle.yahoo.com/family-pa ... -huib.html

Can safely say this does not apply to me/my other half...

Good to see that in times of austerity we are spanking away £49m on social research!! :roll:

Comments

• Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    I'm shocked.

They completely missed out on the happiest people of all: those with no spouse OR kids!
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Dinkies :lol:

Well I'm feckin' miserable and happy to be so. Where do I fit into their survey which I could have done for about £300.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • DCowling
    DCowling Posts: 769
    so what has haqppened is that someone has cleverly kept themselves in a pointless role and come up with the result of that some people are happier than others, and those that are happier are those with less responsibility.
    hardly stunning news is it,
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Absolute drivel. I have two kids, both adults now, and couldn't have been happier as a parent. It's everyone's choice whether to become a parent or not and sadly some people don't get to make that choice for one reason or another. Having experienced what I have as a parent including three grandchildren, I believe I would've been a lot sadder with my worth if I'd never become a parent.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    I could have told them that for free,
    I know childless couples in their 40s and i have a good mate knocking fifty who refuses to get in a serious relationship, all lead the life of riley without a worry in the world.
    It's down to spontaneity and money being replaced with resonsibility and worry,
  • newtez2
    newtez2 Posts: 209
    This is the strange thing, how do they know until they have children!
    Thought i was happy until my two loverly girls arrived :D
    hills are made for climbing .....
    Bikes
    2008 Gaint TCR
    1990 Mike Mullet 531c
    1980 BSA javerlin
    1975 Trike.
  • CrackFox
    CrackFox Posts: 287
    Bozman wrote:
    I know childless couples in their 40s and i have a good mate knocking fifty who refuses to get in a serious relationship, all lead the life of riley without a worry in the world.

My g/f and I are both over 40 (just!), childless and with no regrets about that. It suits us to be this way and I wouldn't want to change it, but I have mates who have young kids and they love parenthood. You can be happy with our without kids, provided both partners want the same things from life. True happiness however, comes from packing social researchers into a giant space-ark and shooting them off into the void. £49 million could go a small way towards achieving that.
  • surreyxc
    surreyxc Posts: 293
    I think children can bring you great happiness, but not so sure about marriage. I would be the best father but being married for 50yrs omg!. Then happy people are happy whether with or without ankle biters, you just take the best of situation.
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    My inner child is a nightmare when it comes to new kit-would be a lot better off without him/her :roll:
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Perhaps it has something to do with the following:

If you're in an unhappy couple but childless you break up

If you're in that situation but have a couple of children, you're probably more likely to try and work through the rough...

Therefore surely you are more likely to see unhappy couples with children, then unhappy childless couples?
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • tim000
    tim000 Posts: 718
    we dont have any kids , but my wife does . ME :D
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,540
    edited March 2011
    Either that or it's an existential problem.

Couples without children have to existentially justify to themselves that their purpose in life is 'being happy' since they haven't fulfilled the standard purpose of procreation.

It's also unusual, so you need to be more explicit that you're OK with it, else society fear there is something wrong with you.

"It's ok, I'm happy with it!".
  • snailracer
    snailracer Posts: 968
    Either that or it's an existential problem...
    I post, therefore I am :)
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    It's like the helmet debate this one. It can spark furious debate.

The irresponsibility of bringing children into and overcrowded world vs the selfish nature of not fulfilling your role in nature.

Each to their own as far as I'm concerned.
  • rick_chasey
    morstar wrote:

The irresponsibility of bringing children into and overcrowded world vs the selfish nature of not fulfilling your role in nature.

The world is not overcrowded.
  • My @rse. I love kids (but I couldn't eat a whole one) :wink:
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    morstar wrote:

Yes it is!

Especially my tiny corner of it with 3 kids in it. How irresponsible am I?
  • rick_chasey
    morstar wrote:
    morstar wrote:

Yes it is!

Especially my tiny corner of it with 3 kids in it. How irresponsible am I?

It's not overcrowded. It's just unfair.