Suggestions for Schwalbe Rocket Ron replacements

hard-rider
hard-rider Posts: 460
edited March 2011 in MTB buying advice
My bike came with Rocket Ron Performance tires (I guess they are from the low end of the Schwalbe range) and I was wondering if there is a better tyre for the type of riding I do.

Living in the Algarve most of the riding is on hard, rocky or gravelly tracks. I want a tire that is fast rolling and is relatively puncture proof whilst offering good grip on the above type of surface. It's not that I'm unhappy with the RRs but as this is the first proper MTB I've owned I was wondering if there was a better tyre especially as I'll be entering a few races this year.

Comments

• A lot of people swear by RR's - especially round here: Schwalbe and Bontrager seem to be the weapons of choice with most of the riders i've encountered...if they work ok on the terrain round your way, stick with them...
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    RoRos are very good I used one on the back of my Rize during our fabulous UK summer. Considering it was a lightweight 'race tyre' it was tough as old boots and never punctured just wore out very quickly.

If you want something similar but a bit tougher you could put a Nobby Nic on the front
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Yes the RoRos are very good, particularly in their Evolution guise, but then they're rather fragile.

If you're riding rocky terrain Racing Ralphs may be a better bet (assuming it's not wet much round there!), as they're slightly thicker.
  • FunBus
    FunBus Posts: 394
    One point that hasnt been answered - the "performance" compound is Schwalbe's entry level/cheapest compound - also, bikes often come fitted with "OE versions" which arent always as good as the after market counterparts.

The Rocket Rons are top quality tyres, but range from about £22 up to about £50, so obviously theres a few quality differences.

If i was you, i'd put some miles on the ones you've got (to at least get some value for money), then replace them with some better spec'd Rons....
  • Thanks for the replies. I didn't realise that the RoRo tyres were that highly regarded. I've had a few punctures though, mainly fine thorns. I'll stick with them until they wear out and then decide whether to replace with the same or something else or perhaps tubeless. As I said I'm happy with them but wasn't sure if there was something better for the terrain I ride.

I'll also take a good look at what others are using at the race next month.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Fair point about the 'Peformance' derivative. There are Rocket Rons and there are Rocket Rons.

The 3C Evo derivative is expensive but has an amazing combination of light weight, high grip and low rolling resistance.

Not thornproof though.
  • I just tend to take punctures as part and parcel of mtbing and the terrain we ride. It's got to be expected, especially when you go for performance orientated components, which you do tend to buy on the basis of them being puncture proof.
  • if you decide to get some more schwalbe, get them from here half price. I ordered a rocket ron evo and smart sam a couple of weeks ago, really impressed by the rocket!

http://www.on-one.co.uk/news/products/q ... albe-tyres
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    They're available from plenty of places cheap because they've been superseded by new Pace Star compound versions with tubeless ready beads. The old ones are still good though, and work well tubeless.
  • hard-rider
    hard-rider Posts: 460
    Thanks for the heads up. At those prices I may get myself a couple of spare tyres for later.