Time to buy ....again

Tyneamite
Tyneamite Posts: 380
edited March 2011 in MTB buying advice
ok Gents,
I recently ....welll today actually lol....bought a boardman pro full susser,
I need some new stuff for it and I was wondering if you happy chaps would care to point me in the right directions,

first off quick release seat clamp
Seatpost: Ritchey Pro 31.6mm.....taken off the website specs, what size clam would i need?

seat, I fancy summit blue this time...shame charge spoons dont do blue, any suggestions?

hydration, dont fancy mouting water bottle carriers etc... to this bike, wanted to leave it as it is....any suggestions on cheap hydraiton bags that i can also fit tools and my water proofs in?

trying to save a little coin here guys, didnt get the bike on cycle to work etc... so ultimitely there is a huge hole in my bank balance now,
A bike is only as good as the rider!

Comments

• d3matt
    d3matt Posts: 510
    edited February 2011
    I've just brought a Hope 34.9mm quick release on eBay, for my (Boardman Team FS) seatpost and it's a perfect snug fit.

For a saddle, how about this limited edition Charge Spoon from Evans. It has a blue base and logo and a bargain at £22 delivered.

Riding this Boardman Team FS 2010. Also trying my first blog.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Clamp sounds about right, but you need to measure the seatube. The size of the post has nothing to do with it.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Seat looks nice.....could be an option,
    with regards to the seat post paopogies, i thought the size i posted was the right one
    so what size do i need then? lengh or width?
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    How cheap is cheap for a hydration pack? Tesco do one that's surprisingly decent...

But if you can stretch a wee bit further, this:

http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDeta ... ctID=24027

Is a top buy... It's not as good as the older model, the Chaos, but it's still pretty damn good.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    +1 on the tesco bag, it is a nice bag, exceptional when you take in to a account the price.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Tyneamite wrote:
    seat, I fancy summit blue this time...shame charge spoons dont do blue, any suggestions?
    Evans have some Charge Surface Spoons in black and blue
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cha ... e-ec023449
  • Northwind wrote:
    How cheap is cheap for a hydration pack? Tesco do one that's surprisingly decent...

But if you can stretch a wee bit further, this:

http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDeta ... ctID=24027

Is a top buy... It's not as good as the older model, the Chaos, but it's still pretty damn good.
    Just bought this and it's far, far superior to any budget hydration pack you'll get from Tesco or anywhere like that. I've had two of the cheapy ones and the bite valves leak on you, the bladder split at the filler cap, and they make your back much sweatier. Get the Camelbak!
    ::'11 Pitch Pro::
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Tyneamite wrote:
    Seat looks nice.....could be an option,
    with regards to the seat post paopogies, i thought the size i posted was the right one
    so what size do i need then? lengh or width?
    The seat post fits into the frame, so the clamp has to fit the frame, not the seatpost - thickness of frame tubes will vary. Have a look in tech - measure around the top of the seatube in mm and divide by 3.14 to give size, although many are fairly standardised and 34.9 sounds about right. But easy to check first.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Tyneamite
    oh m8 will do, my firned has a little tool for measuring stuff like this...so will take the old clamp off and measure to be on the safe side
    regarding the camelpak...whats the storage capacity like on it, .........i will carry waterproofs, tracksuit top, roadmorph pump, spare tubes, top peak hexus tool, and ofcourse some packed lunch .....if its a big one,
    this is what i am worryed about, dont wanna waste money on the pack then realise i cant carry bugger all in it

or plan 2 would be.......my current rucksag has like a wet storage area built in....maybe getting a bladder to fit into there, least i know he bag carrys all ineed....what you think?
  • d3matt
    d3matt Posts: 510
    Tyneamite wrote:
    my current rucksag has like a wet storage area built in....maybe getting a bladder to fit into there, least i know he bag carrys all ineed....what you think?

Sounds a far better plan. Most Camelbaks don't carry much at all.

Riding this Boardman Team FS 2010. Also trying my first blog.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Tyneamite wrote:
    regarding the camelpak...whats the storage capacity like on it, .........i will carry waterproofs, tracksuit top, roadmorph pump, spare tubes, top peak hexus tool, and ofcourse some packed lunch .....if its a big one,

Mine is the older version but pretty comparable... It'll carry a full bladder, a bulky waterproof, my big pump, tubes and tools, and some food etc but it starts to get near its limit at that and bulges out a wee bit.It's got compression straps which you can attach kit to though which does make it more useful. I've almost never felt it was undersized, only when we were in France when I was carrying extra water bottles + body armour strapped to it. Got a bigger one as well which I never use :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    Tyneamite wrote:
    ok Gents,
    I recently ....welll today actually lol....bought a boardman pro full susser,

Nice Bike!! :wink: At the current price these are a real bargain.

Save some budget for new tyres. The Race Kings are the only weakness on the bike. I fitted Mountain King Protections but everyone has their own favourites. Unless, of course, you are transferring tyres from an old bike.

I put a Ritchey Marathon WCS seat on mine, which looks great as it matches the wheel logos. It feel really firm at first but the leather has softened with use and it really comes into it's own on long rides.

You will absolutely love this bike. Mine is the lightest, strongest, fastest thing I have ever ridden on my local trails, by a big margin. And the suspension redefines 'plush'.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • Tyneamite
    Tyres allreday took care of m8, all the reviews i was reading said the tyres let it down,...its fitted with nobby nic evo's....first tome i used them, so i might not settle on that...but thanks for the info,

Hydration sorted...for now, my went to sports direct....for my sins, and got a 2 litre karrimore hydrtion bladder, thats fits nicely into my karrimor wet/dry area on my karrimore bag ;-)

now seat, and clamp to take care of....and i think that charge spoon is looking fave for the budget i have,
    Quick release clamp is a must...apparently the group i ride with advise to move seat hight according to terrain, drops etc....so a friend was telling me