Good bike shops in Glasgow

MaxwellBygraves
MaxwellBygraves Posts: 1,353
edited March 2011 in The bottom bracket
As per title, will be in Glasgow on monday with time to burn so can anyone recommend any good bike shops that are worth a visit?
"That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer

Comments

• If you're in the centre, Dales Cycles is a brilliant shop:

http://www.dalescycles.com/

Then literally just across the road, you have Alpine Bikes which is housed within Tiso's Outdoor Experience store:

http://www.alpinebikes.com/
    Winter: Moda Nocturne
    Road: Cervelo R3
    'Cross: Ridley X-Night
    Commuter: Genesis Day One
  • -spider-
    -spider- Posts: 2,548
    But - if you really have time to spare. Get the X85 bus from Buchanan St bus station to Campsie Glen and visit Big Al's Cycle Emporium (known as Wheelcraft). A real shop for real cyclists - especially (but not exclusively) for wheels.

-Spider-
  • Wheelcraft is more like a club hut for cyclists, even providing free coffee, It's a fair jaunt from the city centre but worth the effort.
  • Or go to X-Scape at Braehead where there's a big Evans bike as well as a lot of outdoor shops.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Cool, thanks everyone, will check them out!
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    +1 for Dales

Also there is Gear, a small bike shop near Glasgow University.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• In the end only had time to look at Dales Cycles, nice shop with friendly staff, thought their selection of bikes was a bit 'meh' though (road can't comment on mountain bikes)
    Glasgow is nice but don't envy the cyclists - roads are in a really bad state.
  • glasgowbhoy
    glasgowbhoy Posts: 1,341
    In the end only had time to look at Dales Cycles, nice shop with friendly staff, thought their selection of bikes was a bit 'meh' though (road can't comment on mountain bikes)
    Glasgow is nice but don't envy the cyclists - roads are in a really bad state.

Dales is way overpriced and although a nice shop with friendly advice wouldn't buy from them. As you say bike selection isn't very exciting.

Yes, the roads are like Bosnia c1994. It looks like there has been shelling of the main roads for months now. Really dangerous in places and just happy I didnt shell out for new training wheels this year and can ride my commuting route jedi style to avoid most of the craters that previously were just potholes.
  • Made me laugh that there's a really large crater outside Dales cycles, could just imagine some poor bugger getting a fancy new rig then busting it down that hole as soon as left the shop!
  • AndyD2574
    AndyD2574 Posts: 1,034
    If you want a REALLY good bike shop thats owned and ran by a proper cyclist then Billy Bilsland Cycles! Neil knows his stuff and everyone who works there rides............Ross, Gordon and Ali!!

Proper good advice and will look after you.................dont spend my money anywhere else!

Its in teh Saltmarket in Glasgow by Glasgow Green.
    Specialized S Works Venge
    Argon18 E114
    Specialized Langster Single Speed
    Scott Spark Expert 29'er
    GT Avalanche
    http://www.glasgowgreencycleclub.co.uk
  • -spider-
    AndyD2574 wrote:
    dont spend my money anywhere else!

quote]

Apart, of course, from Wheelcraft.

-Spider-
  • AndyD2574 wrote:
    If you want a REALLY good bike shop thats owned and ran by a proper cyclist then Billy Bilsland Cycles! Neil knows his stuff and everyone who works there rides............Ross, Gordon and Ali!!

Proper good advice and will look after you.................dont spend my money anywhere else!

Its in teh Saltmarket in Glasgow by Glasgow Green.

Well now you tell me :wink:
  • glasgowbhoy
    glasgowbhoy Posts: 1,341
    Made me laugh that there's a really large crater outside Dales cycles, could just imagine some poor bugger getting a fancy new rig then busting it down that hole as soon as left the shop!

:D I ride past that every night on the way home. Makes me smile too. The mechanics probably did it themselves to drum up passing trade.
  • Weejie54
    Weejie54 Posts: 750
    Also there is Gear, a small bike shop near Glasgow University.

Run by Joe Allan - top bloke. His ex-business partner, George, runs (or ran) West End Cycles.
    I'd rather spend money there than Dales.

Glad to find that Billy Bilsland is still in business. It was often a port of call on my way back to the station.
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Solidrock Cycles Balmore ( between Torrance & Milngavie) 30mins from city

Good selection of Bianchi & Ridley bikes. Mark and Davie are top blokes (they paid me to say that) :D
  • Could really have done with these recommendations a few days ago :(:wink:
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Billy Bisland still in business? Back in the mid-80's his stock-in-trade was selling puncture repair kids to the local glue-sniffing kids - he was the archetypical stuck-in-the past - I used to live not far when at Uni but generally went up to Dales who were a lot more friendly and happy for my limited business. I suppose Billy had Robert Millar's TDF polka-dot jersey though? Back then there were only three decent shops in the whole city - Dales, Bislands and Dooleys in Paisley.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • BlueScot
    BlueScot Posts: 68
    Yes, we're all a bit late, but +1 for Neil and co in Bilsland bikes - especially if you like Cervelos!! It's a proper LBS and the staff are always helpful.
    Dales are generally friendly, but selection of road bikes is a little, well, Specialized for my liking. I used to like Alpine bikes (St George's Cross rather than Dobbies Loan). However, I popped in recently when my handlebar tape started coming off on the way to work and asked for a little insulating tape for a temporary fix, but was sent to the local Maplin store :shock: Evans - nah, not for me.

As for our roads, downtown Tripoli has better road surfaces than some of the roads up in the Campsies :D Some nice roads, though, down near Stewarton, i.e. 20 miles out of town!
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Billy Bisland still in business? Back in the mid-80's his stock-in-trade was selling puncture repair kids to the local glue-sniffing kids - he was the archetypical stuck-in-the past - I used to live not far when at Uni but generally went up to Dales who were a lot more friendly and happy for my limited business. I suppose Billy had Robert Millar's TDF polka-dot jersey though? Back then there were only three decent shops in the whole city - Dales, Bislands and Dooleys in Paisley.
    Does he still sell them? They'd come in quite handy on a cold day if they fit into a rack pack.

There was also Riddles on the south side. A brilliant wee shop and they'd teach you how to do your own repairs. Very handy when you're a cash strapped teenager.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • AndyD2574
    Heres service for you..................popped in to pick up my RS tonight from Neil at Billy Bilslands.....................was happy to stay until gone 7 to change some stuff on my bike so I was totally happy!!.....THATS service!!

He can get you ANYTHING as well as having great stock...........he stocks Cervelo, Pinarello, Cannondale and loads more.

All my bike have come from there..........and as soon as the rumoured new Cervelo S3 comes out he will be supplying that too!!

Great shop.
    Argon18 E114
    Scott Spark Expert 29'er
    GT Avalanche
  • BlueScot
    BlueScot Posts: 68
    AndyD2574 wrote:
    Heres service for you..................popped in to pick up my RS tonight from Neil at Billy Bilslands.....................was happy to stay until gone 7 to change some stuff on my bike so I was totally happy!!.....THATS service!!
    I'm picking up an RS from there later this month - I hope he hasn't sold you my frame :D
  • -spider-
    Monty Dog wrote:

Was Riddle's gone by then?

-Spider-
  • AndyD2574
    BlueScot wrote:
    AndyD2574 wrote:
    I'm picking up an RS from there later this month - I hope he hasn't sold you my frame :D

You will love it mate!
    Had mine for 12 months now so was in fitting some more 'bling' last night.
    TRP brakes, Pro evo 1 piece bar/stem, new fizik saddle.........and some carbon tubs coming soon!.....................all in preperation for the S3 that Neils keeps tempting me with!!
    Argon18 E114
    Scott Spark Expert 29'er
    GT Avalanche
  • AndyD2574 wrote:

All my bike have come from there..........and as soon as the rumoured new Cervelo S3 comes out he will be supplying that too!!
    New Cervelo S3? What do you mean by that?
  • AndyD2574
    AndyD2574 wrote:

Rumour is that Cervelo will be using the new improved S3 in the classics this year!!
    The S3 was due for a tweak and it looks like it may be happening.

I'll have mine in black thanks :D
    Argon18 E114
    Scott Spark Expert 29'er
    GT Avalanche
  • AndyD2574 wrote:
    AndyD2574 wrote:

Rumour is that Cervelo will be using the new improved S3 in the classics this year!!
    The S3 was due for a tweak and it looks like it may be happening.

I'll have mine in black thanks :D
    Interesting that mate, thanks.
    I can keep on wishin' eh :D
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    -spider- wrote:
    Monty Dog wrote:

Was Riddle's gone by then?
    I think it was the early to mid 90's when the Riddles retired and Craig McMartin took over. It's now a taxi control room. :(
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill